HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Highrise & Supertall Proposals

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2016, 2:05 PM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 10,816
PHILADELPHIA | 1201 Vine | 221 FT | 16 FLOORS

Title: 1201 Vine
Project: apartments/office/retail
Architect: Ambit Inc.
Developer: James and Micheline DeBerardine
Location: 1201 Vine St. Philadelphia, PA
Neighborhood: Loft District
District: Center City
Floors: 16 floors
Height: 221 feet




Quote:
James and Micheline DeBerardine are transforming an aged office building near 12th and Vine Streets into what they say will be the city's biggest and most technically sophisticated dance venue.

The club, to be called NOTO - short for "Not of the Ordinary" - is part of the DeBerardines' plans for Vine Street just north of Chinatown, which also include 99 new apartments.

Promised at the dance venue are name-brand DJs from the Las Vegas-Amsterdam-Ibiza circuit, a speaker system built by Finnish soundsmiths, and VIP seating with flowing bottle-service champagne.

The pair paid $6 million for the 60,000-square-foot office building at 1209 Vine St. in February, according to records filed with the city. Plans call for a 1,000-person capacity club with offices on the building's upper levels.

The family later decided to buy the vacant lot next door to build a 16-story apartment building with a high-tech automated parking system. That plan will be presented to the Philadelphia Chinatown Development Corp. on Tuesday, said Sarah Yeung, the group's planning director.

Anticipated in the building are two ground-floor restaurant spaces, one to be run by Philadelphia chef Sylva Senat of Dos Tacos, James DeBerardine said. Food at NOTO also will come from Senat's kitchen, he said.
http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...e.html?photo_3
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2016, 2:24 PM
Urbanthusiat's Avatar
Urbanthusiat Urbanthusiat is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: University City, Philadelphia
Posts: 243
These "developers" seem to live up to their brand - not of the ordinary. This idea is so unique I think it might just work. I love the idea of having a new big club like that, it's something the Philly market is lacking (or maybe I just don't know the cool places to go). I don't see PCDC making it easy for them, however.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2016, 3:25 PM
Flyers2001 Flyers2001 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
These "developers" seem to live up to their brand - not of the ordinary. This idea is so unique I think it might just work. I love the idea of having a new big club like that, it's something the Philly market is lacking (or maybe I just don't know the cool places to go). I don't see PCDC making it easy for them, however.
I cant remember a bigger club that's had success since Egypt. I knew there is still a club scene in the city, curious to see how this all works out. Esp. since they are total outsiders.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2016, 3:39 PM
Scottydont Scottydont is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 59
I'm more interested in the apartments then the club :-)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2016, 10:05 PM
DIESELPOLO's Avatar
DIESELPOLO DIESELPOLO is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 563
I think I'm a little confused. The aforementioned "most technically sophisticated dance venue" is slated to be in the brick building to the left of the apartment building rendering?
__________________
It's a Sophie's Choice, really...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2016, 10:31 PM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 10,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIESELPOLO View Post
I think I'm a little confused. The aforementioned "most technically sophisticated dance venue" is slated to be in the brick building to the left of the apartment building rendering?
Yes. Brick building to the left will have a dance club on the first two floors, and office space on the top two floors.

The new construction will be 99 apartments, with ground floor retail being two restaurants.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2016, 11:04 PM
hammersklavier's Avatar
hammersklavier hammersklavier is offline
Your 2016 AAC Champs!
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Polis Philou Adelfou
Posts: 5,229
My over-under is that, in five years:

5% it gets built
20% the owner flips approvals
20% it stays in the news cycle
55% we all forget about it
__________________
Urban Rambles | Hidden City

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8  
Old Posted Aug 10, 2016, 1:44 AM
TechTalkGuy's Avatar
TechTalkGuy TechTalkGuy is offline
@TechTalkGuy (Twitter)
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
My over-under is that, in five years:

5% it gets built
20% the owner flips approvals
20% it stays in the news cycle
55% we all forget about it
This is forgettable.
Be honest, will this be noticed when driving down N. Broad Street?
Exactly!
__________________
The taller, the better
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9  
Old Posted Aug 10, 2016, 6:51 AM
Human Scale's Avatar
Human Scale Human Scale is offline
More of that.
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers2001 View Post
I cant remember a bigger club that's had success since Egypt. I knew there is still a club scene in the city, curious to see how this all works out. Esp. since they are total outsiders.
Shampoo lasted longer than Egypt, had more square footage and more revenue. Btw the shampoo space is on the market for lease. I think this new club NOTO will attempt to be more like Shampoo with multiple floors and vibes with one big "advanced" main area.

Nightclubs are hard to get financing for because they turnover so quickly. But I'm sure a 24 year old could convince his mother and business partner to go in on it. It's the kind of story that could lead to a chance success.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10  
Old Posted Aug 10, 2016, 1:53 PM
philatonian's Avatar
philatonian philatonian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 592
This duo sounds so crazy this might actually happen. They should have never used the word nightclub, though. There are plenty of concert venues in the area that could pass as nightclubs, but none of them use that word because Philly's NIMBYs hate nightclubs. And this area's got two NIMBYs: the PCDC and the even more conservative CNA. I think the apartment tower's got a better shot than the club. It all still seems like a shot in the dark though. Have these two ever developed anything before? Sounds like a rich kid, a bored mom, and a friend with decent Photoshop skills. I'd love it all to happen but I'm betting it'll get flipped to EZ Park in less than a year.
__________________
Philly Bricks
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11  
Old Posted Aug 10, 2016, 2:32 PM
TechTalkGuy's Avatar
TechTalkGuy TechTalkGuy is offline
@TechTalkGuy (Twitter)
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by philatonian View Post
I'd love it all to happen but I'm betting it'll get flipped to EZ Park in less than a year.
I too love development, but only when it adds value - not just merely additional wasted opportunity for something better.
__________________
The taller, the better
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12  
Old Posted Aug 11, 2016, 3:55 PM
mmikeyphilly mmikeyphilly is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 708
.
__________________
whatever

Last edited by mmikeyphilly; Aug 15, 2016 at 4:09 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13  
Old Posted Aug 11, 2016, 4:43 PM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 10,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by philatonian View Post
This duo sounds so crazy this might actually happen. They should have never used the word nightclub, though. There are plenty of concert venues in the area that could pass as nightclubs, but none of them use that word because Philly's NIMBYs hate nightclubs. And this area's got two NIMBYs: the PCDC and the even more conservative CNA. I think the apartment tower's got a better shot than the club. It all still seems like a shot in the dark though. Have these two ever developed anything before? Sounds like a rich kid, a bored mom, and a friend with decent Photoshop skills. I'd love it all to happen but I'm betting it'll get flipped to EZ Park in less than a year.
Lol, it was designed by Ambit Architecture, who funny enough also designed 1528 Cherry Street which also seems to have about a 5% chance of actually happening.

http://www.ambitarchitecture.com/work/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #14  
Old Posted Aug 11, 2016, 5:26 PM
TechTalkGuy's Avatar
TechTalkGuy TechTalkGuy is offline
@TechTalkGuy (Twitter)
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmikeyphilly View Post
This looks decent.

Just remember: Philly is NOT New York. Every proposal isn't going to be a 432 Park Ave, or a Hudson Yards.
It would be nice to have something like that in Philly (preference: East side of Broad Street (even better, somewhere along Market, Chestnut, Walnut, Arch, etc.)).

But there are some countries building too tall.
If there were an attack on a mile-high tower, there is no saving anyone whatsoever.

So I am not fond of those mega-tall suicide towers.
I can only hope that NYC understands this logic.
As for Philly, I'm more impressed the more I visit SSP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Lol, it was designed by Ambit Architecture, who funny enough also designed 1528 Cherry Street which also seems to have about a 5% chance of actually happening.

http://www.ambitarchitecture.com/work/

I understand the obligation to creating this thread.
I thank you for your candid honesty on this development.
__________________
The taller, the better
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15  
Old Posted Aug 16, 2016, 2:24 AM
philatonian's Avatar
philatonian philatonian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechTalkGuy View Post
I too love development, but only when it adds value - not just merely additional wasted opportunity for something better.
I think something on that scale would be in line for that lot, I just don't see offices and a nightclub happening there now. The proposal really isn't that big, I just don't get the impression they did any market research, let alone actually get Philadelphia.

That said, the Jarvis Building is being gutted.
__________________
Philly Bricks
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16  
Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 4:39 PM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 10,816
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17  
Old Posted Sep 2, 2016, 1:27 AM
philatonian's Avatar
philatonian philatonian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
I was really surprised to see that they started gutting the Jarvis Building. I don't think they need an variance to build on the lot next door, I just thought the word "nightclub" would scare neighbors. I'm all for it, especially adding height to Vine Street, despite what it will do to my rent.
__________________
Philly Bricks
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #18  
Old Posted Sep 2, 2016, 2:24 AM
TechTalkGuy's Avatar
TechTalkGuy TechTalkGuy is offline
@TechTalkGuy (Twitter)
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,341
The tower looks good, but a nightclub just doesn't fit.
__________________
The taller, the better
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19  
Old Posted Sep 2, 2016, 8:03 AM
BenKatzPhillytoParis BenKatzPhillytoParis is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechTalkGuy View Post
The tower looks good, but a nightclub just doesn't fit.
Doesn't fit? Why is that?

This neighborhood is the perfect place for something like this. It's Eraserhood!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #20  
Old Posted Sep 19, 2016, 5:03 PM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 10,816
Upcoming Loft District nightclub to hire 100 before debut

http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelp...ring-jobs.html
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Highrise & Supertall Proposals
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:34 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.