HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Sep 15, 2016, 12:16 AM

Château Laurier expansion | Approved

Just announced:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa...ding-1.3762263

Quote:
It's been about 50 years since the Château Laurier underwent any major changes. But that could change over the next few years if the city approves the hotel owner's expansion plans.

Larco Investments, which bought the hotel two years ago, wants to move the parking garage underground and add up to 200 more rooms with a Peter Clewes-designed expansion.

In a release, the company states: "The intent is to build new long-term stay suites, create a new exterior courtyard off the ballroom for seasonal use and replace the aging five storey parking structure with an underground parking facility, all under the management of Fairmont Hotels & Resorts, the luxury brand that operates the hotel."

"The addition will offer a modern interpretation of the heritage character of the Château with a vocabulary of Indiana Limestone, glass and copper. The separated wings, massing and set back upper floors are compatible with the Château's existing roofscape silhouette, providing a dignified and deferential response to this iconic building," according to the release.

Project 'exciting,' councillor says

Rideau-Vanier ward Coun. Mathieu Fleury is also quoted in the release: "I want to highlight the openness of the Fairmont Château Laurier team of consulting and engaging with the community, the city and partners like the NCC to make this project a success. It is an exciting project that introduces captivating architectural design to this important site for our capital city, while highlighting its important heritage value and location near the Parliament Buildings, Major's Hill Park, as well as the ByWard Market."

According to Larco, this "pre-consultation phase with community stakeholders" will be followed by NCC and City of Ottawa approvals on the proposed design. Later, a site plan control application will be made to the city. The company is also promising "further opportunities for community consultation" on the proposed plan prior to final approval by the City of Ottawa.

First thoughts.... eh... ummm... ewwww?

More pics in the article.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2016, 12:34 AM

Looks like a condo project. It's not ugly on its own.

But, WTF are they thinking? It doesn't mesh with the existing building. The view from Major Hill Park or the Rideau Locks just sucks. Looks more like the boxy glass structure is blocking the view.

Simply, it doesn't look at all like it's part of a castle.

Last edited by Capital Shaun; Sep 15, 2016 at 12:34 AM. Reason: typo

Old Posted Sep 15, 2016, 12:35 AM

Can't imagine the NCC approving that ...

Old Posted Sep 15, 2016, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrain View Post
Just announced:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa...ding-1.3762263

First thoughts.... eh... ummm... ewwww?

More pics in the article.
It's not completely bad but they skrewed up on the roof. it can't have a square looking roof like that. If you keep the characteristics of the old roof on top of this new design it might work.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2016, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital Shaun View Post
Looks like a condo project. It's not ugly on its own.
Simply, it doesn't look at all like it's part of a castle.
Agreed, you can see where they try and tie in with the colours and shape ... Somewhat... But yeah does not fit the style at all.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2016, 12:44 AM
I ask because I Gatineau

Old Posted Sep 15, 2016, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horus View Post

Hahaha, yeah pretty much...
Check the poll results at the end of the CBC article. Lol

Old Posted Sep 15, 2016, 12:53 AM

I like it.

It's certainly a juxtaposition and I'm sure that's fully intentional. Trying to build it like a replica of the existing building would be a mistake IMHO.

We have to remember that what's currently behind the Chateau is a parkake. The current view of this part of the Chateau from Mackenzie looks like this:
https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.42651...2!8i6656?hl=en
There's obviously room for improvement!

Also like that thew addition appears to have a wall of windows on the south side facing Major's Hill Park, which has the potential to help animate that park. The current interaction between the park and the Chateau is minimal: https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.42658...2!8i6656?hl=en

Arguably some tweaks, like sloping the roof, may help it integrate better with the existing building. But the parking garage shouldn't be sacrosanct, and as I said above, a Disney-style replica would be worse.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2016, 1:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcage View Post
It's not completely bad but they skrewed up on the roof. it can't have a square looking roof like that. If you keep the characteristics of the old roof on top of this new design it might work.
Matching the existing roof line is a must.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2016, 1:10 AM

The Lord Elgin tried blending the old with new:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord_E...otel-night.jpg

Old Posted Sep 15, 2016, 1:14 AM

Rendered incapable of expressing my feelings in any natural human language, allow myself to lapse into the universal language of smilies and emoji:

Old Posted Sep 15, 2016, 1:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11a2b3 View Post
The Lord Elgin tried blending the old with new
Speaking of.... what's with the papers on the insides of the windows of the Lord Elgin?

Old Posted Sep 15, 2016, 2:09 AM

PLEASE GOD, NO!!!

*Ahem*

As a Modernist, the addition would be a great stand-alone building elsewhere. But as an addition to the Château Laurier, it is a serious affront. The first addition to the Château Laurier was done very well and fits seamlessly with the original structure, but this one not only fails to fit aesthetically, it blocks the picturesque views from several angles, most importantly from the Rideau locks and Major Hill's Park.

I hope this is rejected because, let's be real, the renderings will look better than the real thing. Propose it as an individual building elsewhere, but not here.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2016, 2:17 AM

*Checks calendar to see if it's April 1st*

Wait a minute, this is for real? The existing building is in such bad shape with entire floors shut down on cold days because of inadequate HVAC and now they want to add a new section? Who the hell will want to stay in the old castle with it's tiny rooms and shitty ventilation? Maybe they should gut the old part first before doing an add-on. As for the look, it's ok on it's own but doesn't match even in a friendly juxtaposition way.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2016, 2:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11a2b3 View Post
The Lord Elgin tried blending the old with new:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord_E...otel-night.jpg
And was quite successful in my opinion. The new additions did not attempt to outstage the original building but blended in harmoniously.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2016, 2:33 AM

The proposed new addition looks too busy and is too tall in trying to compete with the turrets of the older portions of the Chateau. If we are not trying to match the Chateauesque design, then we should not let it dominate the view from the north. As someone else has suggested, it might work if it was separate building but to the degree of integration planned, yuck!

Old Posted Sep 15, 2016, 2:35 AM
Busy Beaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnixon View Post
I like it.

It's certainly a juxtaposition and I'm sure that's fully intentional. Trying to build it like a replica of the existing building would be a mistake IMHO.
{le snip}

Arguably some tweaks, like sloping the roof, may help it integrate better with the existing building. But the parking garage shouldn't be sacrosanct, and as I said above, a Disney-style replica would be worse.
I find the whole "you can't mimmic the old style" thing is like the Italians saying you can't put cheese on seafood. Well some people like their Coquilles St-Jacques au gratin.

The fact is, the Chateau Laurier was added on to several times over the years and they were done by different architects and the results were harmonious and almost seamless in style. Same story of Quebec City's Chateau Frontenac whose prominent tower was a later addition.

Here's what the Chateau Laurier looked when it first opened, you can hardly say the rest of the later addition was a "mistake". I think architects these days just lack the balls and aesthetic literacy to properly continue on with the language of its style.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2016, 3:29 AM

A new addition can work, but it has to be very plain. Ideally, it should be made entirely of glass. Glass is the best material to use for additions to heritage buildings, because it is colourless and featureless, meaning it just complements the original structure instead of outshining it.
"It is only because the control of the means of production is divided among many people acting independently that nobody has complete power over us, that we as individuals can decide what to do with ourselves." - Friedrich Hayek

Old Posted Sep 15, 2016, 3:38 AM

Wow. Looks ridiculous, especially from the locks. That view of the Chateau Laurier from the locks is beautiful and well photographed. This expansion would destroy that. They would never do this at similar hotels like the Royal York. Only in Ottawa. The fact that the Councillor thinks this is exciting is mind boggling.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2016, 3:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
I find the whole "you can't mimmic the old style" thing is like the Italians saying you can't put cheese on seafood. Well some people like their Coquilles St-Jacques au gratin.

The fact is, the Chateau Laurier was added on to several times over the years and they were done by different architects and the results were harmonious and almost seamless in style. Same story of Quebec City's Chateau Frontenac whose prominent tower was a later addition.

Here's what the Chateau Laurier looked when it first opened, you can hardly say the rest of the later addition was a "mistake". I think architects these days just lack the balls and aesthetic literacy to properly continue on with the language of its style.
It's not impossible, but it's very difficult, as:
1) the original quarry the materials came from usually doesn't exist anymore
2) the original materials have gained a unique appearance from weathering, which the new section will not match until decades have passed
3) the older methods of construction were much less efficient, meaning that in today's times, building it exactly the same way is often far beyond the budget of developers

In Kingston we've got a lot of local experience with additions to heritage, and generally, when the new structure tries to match the materials of the older structure, the end result is hideous.. but when you choose an unimposing glass or steel that doesn't stand out, it accents the beauty of the heritage building and just makes the whole thing beautiful.

An example: In this part of Queen's campus, they took a row of three heavily decayed old stone buildings. They added new material to fill in the bits of the facades that had to be torn down due to decay, new material to connect the 3 buildings together into a single building, and they added an extra floor to the whole thing. They used very neutral looking glass and steel for the additions, making for a very harmonious blend of heritage and modern:

(Pulled from Google Street View)

Right around the corner from this site, an all-glass addition (visible on the left) was added onto an old heritage school, again to great effect:

(Queen's University website)
"It is only because the control of the means of production is divided among many people acting independently that nobody has complete power over us, that we as individuals can decide what to do with ourselves." - Friedrich Hayek

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa