HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Diagrams & Database > Diagrams

Old Posted Dec 29, 2016, 3:43 AM
I am a typical

Vid's Diagrams: Part 3

To the people visiting this thread in 2023: There were once photos here.

The first thread was archived and the second one has no photos since the website I hosted them on changed things, so I'm starting a third one. Which over the course of a decade honestly isn't too bad.

Pembina Hall, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg. Drawn August 2010. Inkscape.

A proposed (never built) condo for Winnipeg. Drawn September 2010. Inkscape.

Canadinns Destination Centre (HSC) Hotel, Winnipeg. Drawn between 2010 and 2015. Inkscape. I got really busy with work, and kept coming to it and drawing a blank for years. The building was literally just a proposal when I started to work on drawing it, and it had been opened for over a year by the time I uploaded the diagram.

Waverley Park Tower, Thunder Bay. Drawn 2016. Inkscape.

This was the first building for which I drew a diagram in 2005, over a decade ago. It was reclad between 2010 and 2012, and I've been meaning to re-draw it, just haven't had the time. I tried going over the old diagram with the new colours, but it didn't work out well because by then I had Windows 7 and MS Paint in Windows 7 has antialiasing on by default and it can't be turned off (the main reason I now use Inkscape instead).

I started drawing again as Google Maps recently released a 3D view of my city, allowing a very accurate measurement of almost everything, so I am slowly working on going through the local diagram and correcting everything, adding a few new buildings that have been built, and will probably work on Sudbury and Duluth a little later on, time permitting. I was able to devote a lot of time to these as I've had a 4 day Christmas holiday but it's just come to an end.

Finally, the reason I started this thread again instead of just silently putting these into the diagrams:

Thunder Bay Consolidated Courthouse. Inkscape. Still not quite complete (but very close).

This drawing and the Waverly Park diagram are drawn at a 10px:1m ratio, so that each pixel equals 0.1M. So, because I have such a high resolution, I've been adding details into these diagrams that won't even come close to being consequential in the finished 1px:1m diagram. But someone has to see it, because I didn't spend 12 hours on this for nothing.

I've wanted to draw this since its design was first released in 2010. After 6 years, victory is within reach!

Note the security cameras I've included. How useless is that! I decided since I have security cameras in this diagram I might as well include the Canada Post mail box as well. And I did. It's the red object in the first image.

I hope someone looks at these. I hope they're actually visible to more than just me.

Last edited by vid; Dec 29, 2016 at 4:02 AM.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2016, 3:46 AM
I am a typical

Here is a photo of the courthouse I took in the summer of 2014, just months after it opened, and the diagram again for comparison.

Last edited by vid; Dec 29, 2016 at 4:02 AM.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2016, 3:59 AM
I am a typical

Aaand the photos don't seem to work.

Well that's enough for today.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2016, 11:20 AM

Really impressive vid. I've spotted the red mailbox but am sorry to say I don't see the security cameras.

I've did 5:1 drawing a few times but end up doing far to many details. Then resizing them, getting disappointed and upoad them in silence. I woudn't even try 10:1.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2016, 12:46 AM
I am a typical

I hope I'm able to finish this tonight. I'll do the next one at a more reasonable scale I guess. Though this is vector so even if I do it at a 1:1 scale, I can cram a lot in.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2016, 4:59 AM
I am a typical

I'm so glad this one is done. Now I can move on! This also marks the point where all of the entries for Thunder Bay are now drawn. There are some new low-rises that have been built and will be easy to draw but I'm going to work on fixing existing diagrams first.

This has overtaken the RD Parker Building in Sudbury, Ontario and Commonwealth Government Centre in Hobart, Tasmania as my favourite diagram.

Ontario has built several courthouses in similar styles to this over the past 8 years, so I might work on drawing those later on, since it was actually quite enjoyable to draw this. It helped that I found some of the building's elevation drawings on Arch Daily.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2017, 3:57 AM
I am a typical

The middle building, which we called the Ironworks Building as its main tenant was a company called Lakehead Ironworks, is my latest drawing. I did this one in a 1px=1ft scale. I used Photoshop to add the horizontal lines on the concrete slipform portions (an effect I'll try to remember if I decide to draw the larger grain elevators) and the staining on the concrete. That building was originally built as a small grain elevator, but the silos were removed in the 1940s and a wide variety of industrial businesses have been in there over the past 70 years. It currently has some vacancies as most of Lakehead Ironworks has relocated to a new facility.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 3:07 AM
I am a typical

CanadInns Destination Centre, Winnipeg. I drew the original over, like, a 3 year period from 2012 to 2015. I re-did it again with updated heights. I don't know what it is about this building, it's just incredibly frustrating to draw... Glad I'm done!

Old Posted Jan 8, 2017, 2:48 AM
I am a typical

199 Larch Street, the tallest part of Tom Davies Square in Sudbury, Ontario, has been drawn!

Old Posted Jan 15, 2017, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post

The middle building, which we called the Ironworks Building as its main tenant was a company called Lakehead Ironworks, is my latest drawing. I did this one in a 1px=1ft scale. I used Photoshop to add the horizontal lines on the concrete slipform portions (an effect I'll try to remember if I decide to draw the larger grain elevators) and the staining on the concrete. That building was originally built as a small grain elevator, but the silos were removed in the 1940s and a wide variety of industrial businesses have been in there over the past 70 years. It currently has some vacancies as most of Lakehead Ironworks has relocated to a new facility.

Any particular grain elevator on your radar to draw in the future?

If not, would you consider eventually tackling the Oglivie's/Saskatchewan Wheat Pool #8 either as how it was or how it is?

Old Posted Jan 16, 2017, 1:57 AM
I am a typical

Ogilvie is on my list due to both its history (it's the oldest elevator currently standing) and the fact that it's about to be torn down. Whether I draw it as it is or as it was, I'm not sure, but the flour mill part would make a pretty nice diagram.

The other elevator I definitely want to draw is Western Grain (which I've been inside), Saskatchewan Pool 7 (the longest in the world when it was built, and together with units A and B still the largest grain handling facility by total capacity), Saskatchewan Pool 4/5 (4 exploded, 5 is abandoned and is the city's tallest grain elevator at 65m), and possibly Pool 6 as it appeared before its implosion to show off the insides of the silos.

It would be nice to do a diagram of every one, possibly even some of the old wooden ones from the late 1800s.

I'm also planning on doing a diagram for the power plant (including the actual generator building, 72m, not just the stack) and in the future, the Resolute Pulp Mill, since that is the tallest "building" in the city at 74m.

I'm also thinking of following Alpha's lead and drawing the CJSD radio tower on Mount Baldy (tallest antenna in Northern Ontario) and the CKPR radio tower on Hill Street (which is prominent).

Old Posted Jan 31, 2017, 4:52 AM
I am a typical

So here are my latest diagrams:

Aquatel Hotel, a failed proposal for an 18 storey waterfront hotel in Thunder Bay from 1973.

Maplecrest Tower, a 14 storey condo built in 1988. Thunder Bay's second tallest building. It has a very large, single storey covered parking lot behind it, and the whole thing is in the middle of a low income neighbourhood even though the tower itself is middle class at least. It's an odd dichotomy.

Pembina Hall, Winnipeg. Built in 2010, this is an updated version of the diagram based on the building as it exists as opposed to renderings. This building is connected by a ground level walkway to another highrise called Speechly Hall, which I'm also working on drawing.

OPG's Thunder Bay Generating Station, a 300 MW biomass power plant in Thunder Bay. The facility doesn't actually generate any electricity at all, it just sits there idle all the time. It's part of a long and complex boondoggle that is Ontario's electricity generation and distribution network. Anyway, it's easily the largest structure in the city, it dominates the skyline of the south end. There was already a diagram for the stack by another illustrator from over a decade ago, but I figured if I'm going to draw it, I might as well do the whole thing. The building is about 73m tall and the stack is 198m tall.

These were all drawn in Inkscape at a 1px = 1ft scale.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Diagrams & Database > Diagrams