HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted May 7, 2017, 2:36 AM

CAMDEN, NJ | Knights Crossing | 380, 228, 228 & 170 FT | 25, 15, 15 & 14 FLOORS

Brandywine Realty Trust is leading the development of Knights Crossing, a new mixed-use office, retail, and potential hotel and residential development in Camden, New Jersey.

The total project could total over 1.5 million sq ft of new development and will also include green space, and a new station/connection to the PATCO line with direct transit access into Center City, Philadelphia.

The site is currently home to Campbell's Soup Company, and Subaru North America. Future proposed developments could bring another 10 buildings to the site, 4 of which would rise of 12 floors tall. Those buildings consist of:

Development Site A - office space - 15 floors - 228 FT
Development Site E - office space - 15 floors - 228 FT
Development Site F (building 1) - residential space - 14 floors - 170 FT
Development Site F (building 2) - office space - 25 floors - 380 FT

A Building Blitz in Camden: Top Spot to Work in South Jersey
http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/...421395793.html

PDF:
http://files.brandywinerealty.com/files/001079.pdf

Old Posted May 7, 2017, 2:43 AM

Amazing project and I think it can actually get done thanks to the political will behind it...

Old Posted May 7, 2017, 5:56 AM

I'm surprised they're advertising the Glassboro-Camden line as a part of the transportation hub, considering that funding isn't even in place

Old Posted May 7, 2017, 3:13 PM
Greetings from New Jersey

My only issue with the project is the enormous parking lot around Subaru. I would have liked to see a garage surrounded by Mixed use. Hopefully this will spur new redevelopments in Downtown..

Old Posted May 7, 2017, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
My only issue with the project is the enormous parking lot around Subaru. I would have liked to see a garage surrounded by Mixed use. Hopefully this will spur new redevelopments in Downtown..
I'm pretty sure Subaru - being the car company that they are - was likely asking for the parking lot as a part of their demands for a move into Camden.

This is on the other side of the highway from "Downtown" Camden, so I'm not overly perturbed by it. If this was "Downtown," I'd be upset. Still, this development is great overall. This development would be great for any city, let alone Camden.

Camden needs all of the development it can get. Beggars can't be choosers.

Old Posted May 7, 2017, 5:52 PM
Philly Pholly

It seems based on one of the biggest assets Camden has. The PATCO Line. Makes good sense to put the line into play. The heart of the plan. Parking lots can always be built up. It's an optimistic and well thought out plan.

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 1:14 AM

New Patco Stop

Is Patco on board with this new subway stop? Seems like it would be a great amenity and would make this area of Camden far more desirable as a place to work and live if it was 5 minutes from Center City. I imagine though that Patco's primary customer base, people living in the South Jersey suburbs outside of Camden might not like the idea of another stop slowing their commute down by 2 minutes. I heard customers voicing their complaints over such a slow down to their commute is a primary reason why PATCO hasn't pushed harder to reopen the Franklin Square Station.

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 4:56 AM
Greetings from New Jersey

Block E is the NJT Bus garage , where are they being moved too?

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 2:04 PM

yeah, the Subaru site was supposed to be a sexy walkable urban campus as well. But as soon as any company actually shows interest the redevelopment plans are good for squat. Camden still cows to whatever a developer wants just to get stuff built.

I think the Glassboro-Camden Line will get funded as soon as Christie is out of office and Senator Sweeney does his back-room deals with Norcross, but Im not holding my breath on a new Patco station anytime in the next 20 years.

Hopefully, once the waterfront is built out and the GCL is in the pipeline the City will start demanding more appropriate design.

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
Is Patco on board with this new subway stop? Seems like it would be a great amenity and would make this area of Camden far more desirable as a place to work and live if it was 5 minutes from Center City. I imagine though that Patco's primary customer base, people living in the South Jersey suburbs outside of Camden might not like the idea of another stop slowing their commute down by 2 minutes. I heard customers voicing their complaints over such a slow down to their commute is a primary reason why PATCO hasn't pushed harder to reopen the Franklin Square Station.
I had been running under the assumption that the PATCO line was a method for New Jerseyans who work in Philadelphia to get into the city, like how SEPTA's Regional Rail lines are for commuters getting into the city. I think a PATCO station to connect this project to Philly and the NJ suburbs would be a good thing, but it's not a realistic goal.

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 11:48 PM

Is this actually real? The tall residential buildings DOWNTOWN, sure...but past the highway in the middle of a parking lot? I mean...its great to have a plan, but all I expect is a parking lot and a short office building.

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Saturn64 View Post
I think a PATCO station to connect this project to Philly and the NJ suburbs would be a good thing, but it's not a realistic goal.
Why? We're talking about a platform, a fair gate, an elevator, and some stairs.

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 12:33 PM

Quote:
I had been running under the assumption that the PATCO line was a method for New Jerseyans who work in Philadelphia to get into the city, like how SEPTA's Regional Rail lines are for commuters getting into the city. I think a PATCO station to connect this project to Philly and the NJ suburbs would be a good thing, but it's not a realistic goal.
How exactly, is the PATCO station not a realistic goal? The PATCO line already runs through the site. They literally just have to build a new station here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cafeguy View Post
Is this actually real? The tall residential buildings DOWNTOWN, sure...but past the highway in the middle of a parking lot? I mean...its great to have a plan, but all I expect is a parking lot and a short office building.
This is Brandywine Realty Trust. They get shit done. Is anything technically real until it's built? At this point, Schuylkill Yards isn't real because it hasn't been built yet. I believe the residential building is 'maybe if' scenario. It's one of the last steps of the development. Mostly the hotel and office buildings will come first, at which point, this will no longer be in the middle of a parking lot but surrounded by other high rises, mid rides and green space.

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Yes, the vast majority of passengers are NJ residents heading to Philly. But there are a decent number of NJ residents who travel from a NJ stop to Ferry Ave or Camden to the hospitals, Rutgers, and various businesses. The same can be said for Philly residents traveling to Cooper, Lourdes, or Rutgers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
Why? We're talking about a platform, a fair gate, an elevator, and some stairs.
It's a helluva lot more than that.

In concept I like a station here. But for it to be worth the money and a viable station this area actually needs to be fully built out and support 1,500+ jobs (Not sure how many Subaru and Campbell's have/will have). Aside from everything negative you can say about the DRPA, there are actually several location/logistical challenges that will make it an expensive effort.

1.)The Patco right of way is directly next to an active freight line, which is directly next to a major highway
2.)The RoW is built up 20 some odd feet above street level
3.)Somewhere between Haddon Ave and Newton Ave the RoW begins a somewhat steep downgrade decline into the tunnel under MLK Blvd.

All of that said, none of that makes the station impossible. But the entire RoW will need to be rebuilt to make room for platforms and accessibility to those platforms. All completed while not disrupting freight service for major lengths of time. And then the most obvious item is the NJT Bus facility currently on the spot where the Patco stop will be. A new facility has to be built before any of this happens.

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 8:44 PM

Maybe it is a realistic goal. I think I just misread it. Sorry.

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Wow. A city that is just an eyesore and worst than Wilmington in crime has skyscraper development. Just why can't Wilmington build a skyscraper? Why can every other city but Wilmington build a skyscraper?

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 2:55 PM

^ They're not there yet. Renderings are nice, but don't count your chickens. If Dover funneled money into Wilmington the way Trenton does into Camden, you might see some more buildings.

Last edited by Knight Hospitaller; May 10, 2017 at 3:29 PM.

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
^ They're not there yet. Renderings are nice, but don't count your chickens. If Dover funneled money into Wilmington the way Trenton does into Camden, you might seem some more buildings.
Trenton needs to funnel money into Trenton. I went to school in Lawrenceville, smack dab in the middle of Princeton and Trenton. It was like the twilight zone...

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 3:28 PM

^ I hear you. I've spent a bit of time up there.

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesrmj View Post
Wow. A city that is just an eyesore and worst than Wilmington in crime has skyscraper development. Just why can't Wilmington build a skyscraper? Why can every other city but Wilmington build a skyscraper?
Pro tip: Don't live in Wilmington.

Camden is in rough shape but has a ton of potential.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals