HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 2:15 AM

Portland, Smoked Out

Canadian and Northwest wildfires this month made for some really smoky skies for a week or so. It was gross... but made for pretty dawns and dusks! Here's a few sunrise shots from mid August, (Mt. Hood was nowhere to be seen):

IMG_5011 by Ryan Miller, on Flickr

IMG_4999 by Ryan Miller, on Flickr

IMG_4984 by Ryan Miller, on Flickr

IMG_5001 by Ryan Miller, on Flickr

IMG_5003 by Ryan Miller, on Flickr

IMG_4995 by Ryan Miller, on Flickr

IMG_5017 by Ryan Miller, on Flickr

IMG_5008 by Ryan Miller, on Flickr

IMG_4997 by Ryan Miller, on Flickr

IMG_4986 by Ryan Miller, on Flickr

Old Posted Aug 30, 2017, 7:45 AM

With my having COPD...................................

2 years ago, during all the fires in the West, I stupidly drove from Las Vegas to Gold Beach, OR, to get away from the smoke having drifted into Las Vegas, and I collided with more of it on my trip, and I came back with congested lungs!

Old Posted Sep 3, 2017, 9:39 PM
designer&stuff

I encountered a smokey Portland two years ago during a trip back there. Not the funnest experience. Nice photos!
“Most planning of the past fifteen years has been based upon three destructive fallacies: the cataclysmic insists upon tearing everything down in order to design from an absolutely clean slate; the automotive would plan for the free passage of the automobile at the expense of all other values; the suburban dislikes the city anyway and would just as soon destroy its density and strew it across the countryside.” Vince Scully

Old Posted Sep 5, 2017, 5:11 PM
Registered Ugly

Ash is falling here in the western burbs and plenty of smoke from the Eagle Creek fire in the gorge. It actually jumped the Columbia last night and I've heard that Multnomah Falls is under threat.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2017, 6:38 AM
BANNED

Yeah, we've got the same smokeshow in Victoria but I had no idea it extended all the way down to Portland. It was fine for a couple of weeks but then the smoke came back a few days ago.

Since your pics make it look like smog it feels like i'm looking at Shanghai or some other huge Chinese city.

I think the cool thing is the way both the sun and moon look as a result of the smoke

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 8:23 PM

Good shots of a very bad time here

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 10:24 PM

Damn I thought this was going to be a whole photo set dedicated to Pod'nahs BBQ(my fav PDX resto) Yes the smoke been something else this year in our western cities. On another note I look forward to seeing my ol friend Portland at the end of November.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 11:31 PM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Nice pics. The smoke has been horrible in the NW this year. Here in the Inland NW, Boise has had and still has smoke in the air from Oregon, Washington and of course Idaho and all this after the record snow we had this past winter. As of today it has finally cooled down with rain in the forecast and snow in the mountains, so fingers crossed the smoke clears out.
Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Old Posted Sep 17, 2017, 2:02 AM

Fingers crossed this is the last day of smoky skies. The horrible Eagle Creek fire in the Gorge is still only about 35 or 40% contained after 2 weeks. We've had several nice clear days, but a reminder came today that the inferno sadly continues with more thick, smoky skies and the smell of campfire in the air. Rain is forecast tomorrow and for several days following, at last! Much needed.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2017, 2:34 AM

After this past summer, I will never take the rain, the fog, the cold clean air of winter in Portland for granted ever again.

Great shots.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2017, 3:44 AM

I was in Portland in late summer one year when it was really hot and dry, but not smokey. I just remember that everything was brown. Every yard, highways, etc.. My expectation was lush greenery. I had to look at photos to see how Portland usually looks. I picked the wrong time of year to be there. I still liked the city and surroundings a whole lot.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 12:11 AM

^^^nobody bothers to water their yards in the summer. we dont have water rationing but people just dont seem to care. also, portland is mediterranean. most of the rain falls between october and february. once summer proper hits it barely rains at all. this coming week will be the first meaningful rain since the beginning of june. you should look at weather stats for medford, oregon. it gets texas hot. its more like central spain.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos