HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 1:19 AM

NEWARK, NJ | "New Tallest" - Military Park/Broad | FT | 42 FLOORS

EXCLUSIVE: Developers Seek to Construct Newark’s Tallest Building

Quote:
“It will compliment (sic) the skyline of our city and really add value to what we’re attracting downtown and around the city,” Garcia explained, adding that “we’re thrilled that in working with them [the developers], they’ve embedded the 20 percent affordability requirement and that they’ve provided a design that really mirrors the strategy of the redevelopment that we’ve been looking for in Newark.”

For the last several decades, the skyline of Downtown Newark has largely been the same. Despite a recent increase in development in the heart of New Jersey’s largest city, the National Newark Building has retained its position as the tallest building in Newark, a title it has held since it was completed 87 years ago. However, Jersey Digs has learned that two developers are in the preliminary stages of a proposal to construct a new high-rise tower within a stone’s throw of the National Newark Building that would be the highest in Essex County if approved.

Although a source who spoke under the condition of anonymity was unable to release the exact address where this new 42-story building is being proposed, they confirmed that it would be on Broad Street in the middle of Newark’s Central Business District near the Four Corners, Prudential’s headquarters, and Military Park. It is set to contain 9,000 square feet of commercial space on the ground floor with 480 residential units on the upper floors. In addition, a rooftop amenity space would be provided for residents of the high-rise.
====================
Jersey Digs

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 1:49 AM
In the long run...

Amazon!

Amazon!’

Old Posted Mar 10, 2018, 4:31 AM

Nice. Newark's pretty light on the skyscrapers, especially with Jersey City and New York so close. Come to think of it, I wonder how many people have been through Newark but never actually stopped there for anything. I'm one of them. I've only been through it on my way to New York.

Here's hoping this new building comes out well.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2018, 11:48 PM
World Machine

Newark has a lot of potential … I'm hoping that over the next few decades it will reemerge like Jersey City has over the past 15-20yrs.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2018, 1:58 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Saturn64 View Post
Nice. Newark's pretty light on the skyscrapers, especially with Jersey City and New York so close. Come to think of it, I wonder how many people have been through Newark but never actually stopped there for anything. I'm one of them. I've only been through it on my way to New York.

Here's hoping this new building comes out well.
I think I've spent more time in Newark than NYC, actually, and I'm not from there. I'm probably a rare specimen in that regard.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2018, 9:06 PM

Given its strategic position, I think Newark has the potential to dwarf JC. Its a gem of a city. Has come a long way, and is getting better each day. We are seeing several 100 units in the pipeline, and it seems to be accelerating, especially in the residential sector. I see Newark as a great opportunity for not just a bedroom community but as a cultural and business hub. Its university area is seeing expansion, so along with those functions mentioned, lets add as a educational/research center. NJIT, RU Newark, Essex County, UMDNJ, Seton Hall Law.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannedairspray View Post
I think I've spent more time in Newark than NYC, actually, and I'm not from there. I'm probably a rare specimen in that regard.
The Ironbound is one of the greatest neighborhoods in the NYC area, especially in terms of food. Most New Yorkers will never know it exists even though it's only 15 to 25 minutes from midtown or the WTC by train.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 4:31 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Although a source who spoke under the condition of anonymity was unable to release the exact address where this new 42-story building is being proposed, they confirmed that it would be on Broad Street in the middle of Newark’s Central Business District near the Four Corners, Prudential’s headquarters, and Military Park.
Hmmm, could pin down the location, but not exactly. In either case, it will have great views, as all of the buildings in Newark do. The difference between Newark and JC in terms of highrise development is that JC is 1 stop from the financial district (those trains originating in Newark), and development there close to transit. The "four corners" area of Newark, while not distant from Newark Penn Station, is not as pedestrian oriented in that direction. But it's changing. Were it not for being a part of the NY metro area, Newark would have more development. Ironically, being so close to Manhattan is the reason JC has more of it.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 1:02 PM

Only space that's available that fits the vague location would be either Broad & Central near the Hahne's building(where those abandoned midrises and low-end retail are) or Broad and Lafayette in the lot next to the arena. My guess would be the former since the the major downtown development(Hahnes, Whole Foods, Theater Square, 1 Riverview, 540 Broad(Verizon tower being turned into apartments), Rutgers residential expansion, etc.) is happening surrounding that intersection. Would make sense to establish a residential stretch between Military Park and Broad Street Station.

Last edited by Marv95; Mar 12, 2018 at 5:28 PM.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 3:38 PM

Add me to the list of folks puzzled where this may go. If it's fronting Broad Street, there is only a handful of sites. Maybe the Payless Shoes building at Broad and Raymond Blvd.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIA View Post
The Ironbound is one of the greatest neighborhoods in the NYC area, especially in terms of food. Most New Yorkers will never know it exists even though it's only 15 to 25 minutes from midtown or the WTC by train.

and branch brook park gives the brooklyn botanic garden a run for the money during cherry blossom season.

just sayin as that will be upon us before we know it!

Old Posted Mar 13, 2018, 11:32 AM

Speaking of Branch Brook Park, there is an application with the FAA for a 550 foot "building" near there. At first I thought it was a cell tower, but the four co-ordinances given plots out to be a decent sized lot.

There are some 12 floor apartment mid-rises nearby, but a building of such height would be completely out of the context of the area, which I why I believe the submission to the FAA is in error. Still, the error hasn't been corrected yet in over three month, so this one to look out for! Construction is slated to begin this month... I wonder if the address to the FAA is screwed up and 550 feet is the height of this building. That would be the more likely scenario.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2018, 12:01 PM

I could see a new residential tower near Branch Brook Park. That's a pretty decent location.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2018, 3:37 PM

Quote:
I wonder if the address to the FAA is screwed up and 550 feet is the height of this building. That would be the more likely scenario.
Do you have the FAA petition request for that parcel (with address). I could take a look at it.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2018, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Do you have the FAA petition request for that parcel (with address). I could take a look at it.
Here are the four case numbers plus the website: https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external...51152155&row=0

Case Number City State Latitude Longitude Site Elevation Structure Height

Total Height
2017-AEA-12955-OE Newark NJ 40° 46' 41.20" N 74° 10' 36.10" W 104 550 654
2017-AEA-12954-OE Newark NJ 40° 46' 41.20" N 74° 10' 32.80" W 104 550 654
2017-AEA-12953-OE Newark NJ 40° 46' 43.20" N 74° 10' 35.30" W 104 550 654
2017-AEA-12952-OE Newark NJ 40° 46' 42.40" N 74° 10' 33.30" W 104 550 654

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 2:56 PM

so... status?

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 6:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Forumer View Post
so... status?
There is no status because there is no location or rendering. Just typical useless, meaningless talk that doesn't go anywhere. Prove me wrong.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Here are the four case numbers plus the website: https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external...51152155&row=0

Case Number City State Latitude Longitude Site Elevation Structure Height

Total Height
2017-AEA-12955-OE Newark NJ 40° 46' 41.20" N 74° 10' 36.10" W 104 550 654
2017-AEA-12954-OE Newark NJ 40° 46' 41.20" N 74° 10' 32.80" W 104 550 654
2017-AEA-12953-OE Newark NJ 40° 46' 43.20" N 74° 10' 35.30" W 104 550 654
2017-AEA-12952-OE Newark NJ 40° 46' 42.40" N 74° 10' 33.30" W 104 550 654
I'll just repost what I wrote in Newark/Elizabeth Compilation:

I think a couple of hints. One, look at the work schedule: Work Schedule: 03/01/2019 to 04/01/2021.

This is not the typical time-table for a cell tower.

Next, look at the structure type: "Building" @ 550 ft. The structure type code is not what it would be for a cell tower or Comm (Communications Tower) via the FAA.

I think we may have a solid residential here!

If there are any proposed amendments to the zoning. That could be a big key as to the motivations for case: 2017-AEA-12953-OE.

This is not an official business district but mostly residential with your occasional light business/retail on the main streets. Most of the buildings are low to mid, with your occasional high rise.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
There is no status because there is no location or rendering. Just typical useless, meaningless talk that doesn't go anywhere. Prove me wrong.
So kinda how it works a lot of the times is that you don't need a rendering or any major permit activity to envision and see a development in the works. Sometimes it could be a major purchase of parcel or parcel(s) by a known developer for example. Knowing what the purchase price is (and what it would take to recoup the initial investment), the present functionality of the actual purchased building and/or lot potential, there can be speculation and solid evidence of a motive.

For example, take nearby NY, developers purchase properties or land, and months later, plans are revealed. Sometimes, the plans are already in store, but without the renderings. So you may have gross square footage, functionality, unit counts, but no rendering.

Due to confidentiality reasons, at times, sources can only divulge certain information. But this info is useful and can give major clues as to whats in store for Newark.

If you ever notice my Miami threads or NY threads, sometimes I'll use this tactic to speculate buildings rising (with limited info provided), such as a major land purchase by "X" developer along with land prices and even the neighborhood (understanding the zoning helps), and than months later, in some cases a year later, a major tower is revealed for the area. Speculation on the right basis can be a good thing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Forumer View Post
so... status?
See above. We are going to have to wait. This takes time.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
I'll just repost what I wrote in Newark/Elizabeth Compilation:

I think a couple of hints. One, look at the work schedule: Work Schedule: 03/01/2019 to 04/01/2021.

This is not the typical time-table for a cell tower.

Next, look at the structure type: "Building" @ 550 ft. The structure type code is not what it would be for a cell tower or Comm (Communications Tower) via the FAA.

I think we may have a solid residential here!

If there are any proposed amendments to the zoning. That could be a big key as to the motivations for case: 2017-AEA-12953-OE.

This is not an official business district but mostly residential with your occasional light business/retail on the main streets. Most of the buildings are low to mid, with your occasional high rise.
I'm pretty sure this is it...

The last image says Essex County Garage and the metadata in the naming convention of the link says "Branch Brook Tower."

Images courtesy of Jarmel Kizel Architects & Engineers. All the hints where there, I'm surprised I didn't find it quicker. The FAA has also granted interim clearance for the 550 height.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals