HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1  
Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 2:11 AM
FrAnKs's Avatar
FrAnKs FrAnKs is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ville de Québec / Quebec city
Posts: 5,057
Corpus Christi, Texas

My first time ever in Southern USA & Texas!

1)

2)

3)

4)

5)

6)

7)

8)

9)

10)

11)

12)

13)

14)

15)

16)

17)

18)

19)

20)

21)

22)

23)
__________________
PROVINCE OF QUEBEC ==> 8 500 000
MONTREAL ==> 4 250 000
QUEBEC CITY ==> 825 000
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2  
Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 2:13 AM
Double L's Avatar
Double L Double L is offline
Houston:Considered Good
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Houston
Posts: 4,506
I think Corpus Christi is a great coastal town. I hear people criticize it but I don’t understand why.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3  
Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 2:19 AM
FrAnKs's Avatar
FrAnKs FrAnKs is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ville de Québec / Quebec city
Posts: 5,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double L View Post
I think Corpus Christi is a great coastal town. I hear people criticize it but I don’t understand why.
I had a good time there! It was my first time in Southern USA and I was pleasantly surprised by how fine were Texans, even with a French speaking person like me. They were curious and wanted to know my story and what brought me there.
I need really to come back down there

What do people say about this place?
__________________
PROVINCE OF QUEBEC ==> 8 500 000
MONTREAL ==> 4 250 000
QUEBEC CITY ==> 825 000
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4  
Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 6:01 AM
AviationGuy AviationGuy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 3,844
Very nice thread and I'm glad you had a nice time. If you like coastal cities, you would probably like Galveston, too. Especially the historic district and palm trees all over the place.

Did you go to Padre Island? It's a long coastal barrier island that has nice sand. It can get very crowded during spring, summer, and fall, however.

My best memories of Corpus Christi are the various seafood restaurants.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5  
Old Posted Dec 1, 2019, 12:27 AM
KevinFromTexas's Avatar
KevinFromTexas KevinFromTexas is offline
friends don't lie
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: the upside down
Posts: 49,388
I love Corpus Christi. It's one of my favorite places. Besides all the good childhood memories there and in nearby Port Aransas, it's a fun town. It's really the biggest city on the Texas coast. Yes, Houston is near the coast but it's about an hour from the coast. Galveston is admittedly more urban and has tons of history, but Corpus Christi feels like a bigger city.
__________________
In America, today, it's not that truth has lost, it's that political bias has been accepted as a legitimate answer to every issue one struggles with.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6  
Old Posted Dec 1, 2019, 5:37 PM
FrAnKs's Avatar
FrAnKs FrAnKs is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ville de Québec / Quebec city
Posts: 5,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by AviationGuy View Post
Very nice thread and I'm glad you had a nice time. If you like coastal cities, you would probably like Galveston, too. Especially the historic district and palm trees all over the place.

Did you go to Padre Island? It's a long coastal barrier island that has nice sand. It can get very crowded during spring, summer, and fall, however.

My best memories of Corpus Christi are the various seafood restaurants.
Yes I did!...I even went all the way to Port Aransas and took the ferry on my way back to San Marcos, where was my hotel. I wanted to visit Galveston, but I lacked the time ....that will give me another reason to come back!
__________________
PROVINCE OF QUEBEC ==> 8 500 000
MONTREAL ==> 4 250 000
QUEBEC CITY ==> 825 000
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7  
Old Posted Dec 1, 2019, 5:40 PM
FrAnKs's Avatar
FrAnKs FrAnKs is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ville de Québec / Quebec city
Posts: 5,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I love Corpus Christi. It's one of my favorite places. Besides all the good childhood memories there and in nearby Port Aransas, it's a fun town. It's really the biggest city on the Texas coast. Yes, Houston is near the coast but it's about an hour from the coast. Galveston is admittedly more urban and has tons of history, but Corpus Christi feels like a bigger city.
Yup, in my opinion it was decently sized (especially from a Canadian point of view...lol) and I don't think Houston can be considered a coastal city. It's not like their downtown is next to the sea, such as Boston...
As I said above, I missed my chance to visit Galveston, but I did not know there were historic buildings in Galveston?!
__________________
PROVINCE OF QUEBEC ==> 8 500 000
MONTREAL ==> 4 250 000
QUEBEC CITY ==> 825 000
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 1:23 AM
KevinFromTexas's Avatar
KevinFromTexas KevinFromTexas is offline
friends don't lie
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: the upside down
Posts: 49,388
Yeah, Houston is a ways from the coast. Still, I feel like I'm close enough to the coast when I'm there to call it that. If I can see palm trees and even ocean going ships while driving over the ship channel, then it's close enough. Plus, when we've been in Houston before, we go ahead and make the trip to Galveston just to make it to the coast. The drive from Austin to Galveston via Houston is about the same for us from Austin to Corpus Christi.

Yes, Galveston has tons of historic buildings, though, less than they did because of the monster 1900 hurricane. I forget the name, but there's one building in downtown that was built in 1895 that was designed by the same architect - Elijah E. Myers, who did the Texas Capitol 7 years earlier. If you go, definitely check out the downtown area. The Strand and even just the neighborhoods are historic.
__________________
In America, today, it's not that truth has lost, it's that political bias has been accepted as a legitimate answer to every issue one struggles with.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 3:23 AM
FrAnKs's Avatar
FrAnKs FrAnKs is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ville de Québec / Quebec city
Posts: 5,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Yeah, Houston is a ways from the coast. Still, I feel like I'm close enough to the coast when I'm there to call it that. If I can see palm trees and even ocean going ships while driving over the ship channel, then it's close enough. Plus, when we've been in Houston before, we go ahead and make the trip to Galveston just to make it to the coast. The drive from Austin to Galveston via Houston is about the same for us from Austin to Corpus Christi.

Yes, Galveston has tons of historic buildings, though, less than they did because of the monster 1900 hurricane. I forget the name, but there's one building in downtown that was built in 1895 that was designed by the same architect - Elijah E. Myers, who did the Texas Capitol 7 years earlier. If you go, definitely check out the downtown area. The Strand and even just the neighborhoods are historic.
Thanks for the infos
__________________
PROVINCE OF QUEBEC ==> 8 500 000
MONTREAL ==> 4 250 000
QUEBEC CITY ==> 825 000
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 3:29 AM
kel's Avatar
kel kel is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Alberta
Posts: 237
Always have a great time in Texas I would have to say it is my favourite state.
Great pics
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 3:35 AM
FrAnKs's Avatar
FrAnKs FrAnKs is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ville de Québec / Quebec city
Posts: 5,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by kel View Post
Always have a great time in Texas I would have to say it is my favourite state.
Great pics
Was my first time there and I was pleasantly surprised by this place. So much that I would like to come back, which is not something I would have expected at first!
__________________
PROVINCE OF QUEBEC ==> 8 500 000
MONTREAL ==> 4 250 000
QUEBEC CITY ==> 825 000
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 3:30 PM
mrnyc mrnyc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,757
very nice to see corpus again. i stayed over in port aransas at the historic tarpon inn after i finished up my years long mexican-american border touring bug i had for awhile. i was always a casual selena fan and my grandparents had snowbirded down there, so i took to the place instantly.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 7:09 PM
Nightsky's Avatar
Nightsky Nightsky is offline
Illustrator, editor
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Malmö
Posts: 3,557
Looks beautiful! Must have been windy, with these nice swaying palms.
__________________
Website about my travels in USA and Europe:
http://www.worldtravelimages.net

All my diagram drawings - more than 700!:
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?14670510
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #14  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2019, 12:06 AM
KevinFromTexas's Avatar
KevinFromTexas KevinFromTexas is offline
friends don't lie
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: the upside down
Posts: 49,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightsky View Post
Looks beautiful! Must have been windy, with these nice swaying palms.
Corpus Christi is very windy. And very humid. That white hotel that flanks the Shoreline Plaza Towers has an outdoor public observation deck on the 20th floor. I've been up there before and could barely stand up against the wind, and opening the door and keeping it from flying back was a real feat. I'm kind of surprised they don't close it when it's very windy. The parapet wall is only average waist height, and you're completely exposed to the wind since there's no cover over it either. I'm not complaining, though, because the views are great. FYI, that deck faces east out over Corpus Christi Bay, but the whole top floor is a ballroom with huge windows from the floor to ceiling with views on both sides of the building. The other hotel on the other side of the Shoreline Plaza Towers doesn't have a deck, but there is a hallway with a similar view.
__________________
In America, today, it's not that truth has lost, it's that political bias has been accepted as a legitimate answer to every issue one struggles with.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15  
Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 11:36 PM
Metro Matt Metro Matt is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrAnKs View Post
Yup, in my opinion it was decently sized (especially from a Canadian point of view...lol) and I don't think Houston can be considered a coastal city. It's not like their downtown is next to the sea, such as Boston...
As I said above, I missed my chance to visit Galveston, but I did not know there were historic buildings in Galveston?!
Houston is more like Los Angeles than Boston. They're both inland coastal cities.

Galveston is to Houston what Long Beach is to Los Angeles.

That said, Houston lays on the Texas Gulf Coast region of the state.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16  
Old Posted Yesterday, 5:56 PM
bilbao58's Avatar
bilbao58 bilbao58 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Homesick Houstonian in San Antonio
Posts: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrAnKs View Post
Thanks for the infos
Couple of photos I took in Galveston this past October.


Bishop’s Palace
by bill barfield, on Flickr


Sunday on the Beach with Ikie
by bill barfield, on Flickr
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17  
Old Posted Yesterday, 6:03 PM
bilbao58's Avatar
bilbao58 bilbao58 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Homesick Houstonian in San Antonio
Posts: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrAnKs View Post
My first time ever in Southern USA & Texas!

1)
In 1970, that building in the center was the tallest in town. The company my dad worked for had offices there. A VERY bad hurricane (Celia) hit in August and blew the windows out on two opposite sides of the building and all the contents inside went right out the windows.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #18  
Old Posted Yesterday, 7:14 PM
bilbao58's Avatar
bilbao58 bilbao58 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Homesick Houstonian in San Antonio
Posts: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrAnKs View Post
I had a good time there! It was my first time in Southern USA and I was pleasantly surprised by how fine were Texans, even with a French speaking person like me. They were curious and wanted to know my story and what brought me there.
I need really to come back down there

What do people say about this place?
Ils étaient enchantés par ton accent Québécois exotique! (Madame France, my 8th grade French teacher in Thornhill, ON from forty-something years ago would be so proud of me if she weren't dead from old age by now!)
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:21 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.