HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     
Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum.

Since 1999, SkyscraperPage.com's forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web.  The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics.  SkyscraperPage.com also features unique skyscraper diagrams, a database of construction activity, and publishes popular skyscraper posters.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

 

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #2381  
Old Posted Aug 18, 2008, 12:35 AM
the urban politician the urban politician is offline
The City
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Libertyville, IL
Posts: 10,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianXSands View Post
so true... but remember this is chicago... so expectations shouldn't be very high.
That's bullshit, but I can sense the sarcasm so I hear ya.

I've been very very fair with this project, seeing the benefits as outweighing some of the architectual....miscomings, if you will. State St needs jumper cables pronto, and I'm NOT gonna freak about about Dairy Queen.

But damn it, this one really crosses the line for me. I mean, we're talking about Daley Plaza in the Loop, the heart and soul of Chicago, the essence of it all. I cannot get over how incomplete & cheap this looks.
__________________
If God is your imaginary friend, so be it. But don't try to make him mine.

Last edited by the urban politician; Aug 18, 2008 at 1:14 AM.
     
     
  #2382  
Old Posted Aug 18, 2008, 1:33 AM
Tom Servo's Avatar
Tom Servo Tom Servo is offline
oops.
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
That's bullshit, but I can sense the sarcasm so I hear ya.

I've been very very fair with this project, seeing the benefits as outweighing some of the architectual....miscomings, if you will. State St needs jumper cables pronto, and I'm NOT gonna freak about about Dairy Queen.

But damn it, this one really crosses the line for me. I mean, we're talking about Daley Plaza in the Loop, the heart and soul of Chicago, the essence of it all. I cannot get over how incomplete & cheap this looks.
i wasn't being sarcastic... given this city's recent track recorded, i'm not surprised by any kind of mediocrity or econoarchitecture; i'd be surprised, however, by greatness.
__________________
There's a very subtle perfection in everything I do.
     
     
  #2383  
Old Posted Aug 18, 2008, 1:54 AM
Loopy's Avatar
Loopy Loopy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 606
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarWind View Post
August 11, 2008

I asked an architect friend at Gensler if they considered putting some kind of "fill" in the open segments of the woven stainless.

He said that the openings are "spill out" points for some kind of back lighting.

Has anyone seen this lighting turned on yet?
     
     
  #2384  
Old Posted Aug 18, 2008, 5:18 AM
NYC2ATX's Avatar
NYC2ATX NYC2ATX is offline
Yank in Tex
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopy View Post
He said that the openings are "spill out" points for some kind of back lighting.
hmmm an exciting new development.
__________________
"Also, to be frank, I like dense cities best and care about them most." from The Death And Life of Great American Cities by Jane Jacobs.

BUILD IT. BUILD EVERYTHING. BUILD IT ALL.
     
     
  #2385  
Old Posted Aug 18, 2008, 7:25 AM
nomarandlee's Avatar
nomarandlee nomarandlee is offline
My Mind Has Left My Body
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,547
You know if they want to cheap and half asse an original plan then fine but at least do that respectably. The least they could do is cover up the rest of the two sides of the screen with something. They have absolutely no self-respect or pride if they leave it bare as is and I almost feel that it just can't be their plan. If you not going to put up the full LED screen then at least make one of the empty slots a airline info board (which I think would be less expensive both upfront and to use then an LED screen) and make the other a business/stock ticker of something. If too cheap for that just put up a stainless steel blank facade or something, as is is just not acceptable.
     
     
  #2386  
Old Posted Aug 18, 2008, 4:09 PM
Chicagoguy Chicagoguy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
You know if they want to cheap and half asse an original plan then fine but at least do that respectably. The least they could do is cover up the rest of the two sides of the screen with something. They have absolutely no self-respect or pride if they leave it bare as is and I almost feel that it just can't be their plan. If you not going to put up the full LED screen then at least make one of the empty slots a airline info board (which I think would be less expensive both upfront and to use then an LED screen) and make the other a business/stock ticker of something. If too cheap for that just put up a stainless steel blank facade or something, as is is just not acceptable.
I heard that they are going to be putting the other screens up on both sides. Maybe I heard wrong but that was what was going to happen to my knowledge? It just looks very uncomplete as is!
     
     
  #2387  
Old Posted Aug 19, 2008, 12:48 AM
ChiPsy's Avatar
ChiPsy ChiPsy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 426
2nd rate

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianXSands View Post
i wasn't being sarcastic... given this city's recent track recorded, i'm not surprised by any kind of mediocrity or econoarchitecture; i'd be surprised, however, by greatness.
Adrian, you're judging against a standard that doesn't exist these days -- not in New York (read recent NYT articles about what's actually being built vs. proposed), not in London, and certainly not in any other US city. The issue is that 90% of what's built anywhere is mundane and you only hear -- if you don't live in the city in question -- about the 10% that rises above that mark. Living in Chicago, you're privy to both the mundane and the premier here, and while you're correctly upset about the mundane, you're perceiving (and painting) an unfortunately biased view about how we compare to norms.

(And I know you've spent time in Texas, so you know this VERY well if you've been back recently.)

Meanwhile, I didn't realize the "2" in our local CBS affiliate stood for "2nd rate."
     
     
  #2388  
Old Posted Aug 20, 2008, 2:05 PM
spyguy's Avatar
spyguy spyguy is offline
THAT Guy
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,974
http://www.chicagorealestatedaily.co...ws.pl?id=30653

2 more retailers sign at Block 37
By Eddie Baeb, Aug. 20, 2008


Trendy U.K. fashion label Ben Sherman and Spanish retailer Zara have signed leases at Block 37, putting the shopping center that’s to open next spring at more than half full.

Ben Sherman, known for decades for its ties to the British rock scene, has agreed to lease a 2,600-square-foot store on the ground level at Block 37 along State Street. Zara is taking a two-level store along Randolph Street that’s about 12,000 square feet, sources say.
     
     
  #2389  
Old Posted Aug 21, 2008, 6:26 PM
Chicagoguy Chicagoguy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
http://www.chicagorealestatedaily.co...ws.pl?id=30653

2 more retailers sign at Block 37
By Eddie Baeb, Aug. 20, 2008


Trendy U.K. fashion label Ben Sherman and Spanish retailer Zara have signed leases at Block 37, putting the shopping center that’s to open next spring at more than half full.

Ben Sherman, known for decades for its ties to the British rock scene, has agreed to lease a 2,600-square-foot store on the ground level at Block 37 along State Street. Zara is taking a two-level store along Randolph Street that’s about 12,000 square feet, sources say.

This is great news...so we are at about half full then? There is Puma, Ben Sherman, Zara...and then who else is signed on?
     
     
  #2390  
Old Posted Aug 21, 2008, 7:10 PM
i_am_hydrogen i_am_hydrogen is offline
spaceship
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,102
Apple (still in negotiations)

Others:
Quote:
• Aveda, a manufacturer of plant-based hair and skin care products, has leased about 6,000 square feet.
• Lululemon Athletica, a seller of athletic and yoga wear, has leased 2,555 square feet.
• Steve Madden has leased 1,750 square feet.
• Godiva Chocolatier is to open a 1,000-square-foot boutique.
• Sabon, a bath and body products seller, has leased 811 square feet.
     
     
  #2391  
Old Posted Aug 22, 2008, 5:44 AM
ardecila's Avatar
ardecila ardecila is offline
vertical
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: unconventionally bicoastal
Posts: 9,979
Updated the list. I heard a rumor that Billabong, which had previously committed to Sullivan Center (Carson's building), has changed their minds and switched to Block 37.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Here's a list of known tenants for Block 37 that I compiled.

Confirmed Above Ground Tenants
Muvico Theaters
Rosa Mexicano
Lululemon Athletica
Aveda
Godiva
Sabon
Steve Madden
David Barton Gym
Puma
unknown Lettuce Entertain You restaurant
unknown Lettuce Entertain You coffee shop
Club Monaco
Ben Sherman
Zara

Confirmed Pedway Level Tenants
Au Bon Pain
Beard Papa's
Dairy Queen/Orange Julius
Freshii
Gateway News

Possible Tenants
Apple Store
Bebe
J. Crew
Coach
unknown small live theatre
Billabong
__________________
la forme d'une ville change plus vite, hélas! que le coeur d'un mortel...
     
     
  #2392  
Old Posted Aug 22, 2008, 7:16 AM
Chicagoguy Chicagoguy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Updated the list. I heard a rumor that Billabong, which had previously committed to Sullivan Center (Carson's building), has changed their minds and switched to Block 37.
Great update...glad to see so many are moving into this building! Coach would be a nice addition I think, there isnt one anywhere on that side of the river and it would be great for them to expand! Are you sure Club Monaco is a for sure tenant? I heard they decided to open a store in Wicker Park instead...plus they already signed an agreement to move into the Michigan Avenue storefront of the new Ritz Residences once they open.
     
     
  #2393  
Old Posted Aug 22, 2008, 10:08 AM
hdtvtechno hdtvtechno is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 35
Well
T-30 days now till opening and broadcasting live from the CBS2 studios

can anyone grab a new pic of the inside of the studio ? or is it blocked out to the public
     
     
  #2394  
Old Posted Aug 23, 2008, 3:10 AM
jjk1103 jjk1103 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoguy View Post
I heard that they are going to be putting the other screens up on both sides. Maybe I heard wrong but that was what was going to happen to my knowledge? It just looks very uncomplete as is!
....is that for real ? ...or just another crazy rumor ?
     
     
  #2395  
Old Posted Aug 23, 2008, 3:15 AM
Chicagoguy Chicagoguy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjk1103 View Post
....is that for real ? ...or just another crazy rumor ?
Just what I had heard a while back...they could have decided against it or maybe it was just a rumor? Who knows anymore?
     
     
  #2396  
Old Posted Aug 23, 2008, 3:43 AM
Hayward's Avatar
Hayward Hayward is offline
High above the Gold Coast
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 6,186
I do not like the exposed louvers I see throughout.
     
     
  #2397  
Old Posted Aug 23, 2008, 5:41 AM
pottebaum pottebaum is offline
Betch
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: CHICAGO
Posts: 897
Well, the email they sent in response to all the complaints mentioned that they're still considering what to do with the area around the screen, so it sounds like they plan to do at least something different.

I hope.
     
     
  #2398  
Old Posted Aug 23, 2008, 6:36 AM
ardecila's Avatar
ardecila ardecila is offline
vertical
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: unconventionally bicoastal
Posts: 9,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoguy View Post
Are you sure Club Monaco is a for sure tenant? I heard they decided to open a store in Wicker Park instead...plus they already signed an agreement to move into the Michigan Avenue storefront of the new Ritz Residences once they open.
I'm not sure... I've never even been in a Club Monaco store (but I am psyched for Ben Sherman!) Spyguy told me awhile back that Club Monaco was a confirmed tenant, and I trust him.
__________________
la forme d'une ville change plus vite, hélas! que le coeur d'un mortel...
     
     
  #2399  
Old Posted Aug 23, 2008, 6:53 AM
Chicagoguy Chicagoguy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I'm not sure... I've never even been in a Club Monaco store (but I am psyched for Ben Sherman!) Spyguy told me awhile back that Club Monaco was a confirmed tenant, and I trust him.
Alright thats still good to hear. I guess there business is booming with them opening so many new stores throughout the city. I think it will be a great addition to State Street shopping!
     
     
  #2400  
Old Posted Aug 27, 2008, 9:45 PM
i_am_hydrogen i_am_hydrogen is offline
spaceship
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,102
jjk1103 and headcase - Your posts re: Carson's have been moved here:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show....php?p=3762639
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
 

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:16 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.