HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted May 10, 2010, 4:41 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Model of WCK:

c/o io9

Quote:

The Walled City Where Sunlight Couldn't Reach

A dystopian megacity, in which buildings merge together to become a single solid block, is the stuff of science fiction — but it already happened, in Hong Kong. The Kowloon Walled City was packed so tightly, it became an arcology.

Kowloon Walled City arose out of a weird circumstance in the treaty between the Brits and the Chinese that created Hong Kong. China gave the New Territories to the Brits in 1898 but excluded the Walled City, which the Chinese wanted to be able to use as an outpost. The Walled City developed a kind of status as a no-man's land — but it was really only after the Japanese surrendered after World War II that the Walled City became totally ungoverned, with neither the Chinese nor the British exercising control.
More here: http://io9.com/5512888/the-walled-ci...-couldnt-reach
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted May 10, 2010, 4:43 PM
The Vomit Bag.

The Walled City of Kowloon: Demolition begins (rare shot):

Michael Hoppen Gallery
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted May 10, 2010, 4:46 PM
The Vomit Bag.

The Roof (Rare Shot):

c/o coolstufffromalongtimeago.com

Old Posted Jun 2, 2010, 9:22 AM

In Search of the Dragon's Tale (1997)

Hi all,

does anybody know about the movie 'In Search of the Dragon's Tale (1997)' by
by See Wan Kei and Haymann Lau and if this is available on dvd or somewhere else? This documentary takes a look inside the Walled City. Should be very interesting and i would love to see this! I've already sent a mail to the mail adresses given on this site, but these adresses don't seem to exist anymore.

http://dragon.tripod.com/

Many thanks and regards
Cornholio0815

Old Posted Jun 2, 2010, 6:23 PM

Chinese page on KLWC with pictures and some videos

Not sure if this has been posted before but I found the historical pictures and the videos here to be particularly interesting:
http://www.zenheart.hk/viewthread.php?tid=12378

All the text is in Chinese but then again, pictures are just a fantastic.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2010, 6:15 PM
The Vomit Bag.

JeanPetr: welcome to the forum and thanks for that great link. Lots of shots that I have never seen.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2010, 8:35 PM

More picture links

Thanks for the welcome!

Here is a site with images showing the state of the city from the early 1800 to 1900's:
http://www.thechinaphoto.com/?action...ews-itemid-312

and some taken by the British during the period of colonization showing the surrounding landscape and the filling of the bay in front of the old city.
http://www.wholehk.com/redirect.php?...oto=nextnewset

Old Posted Jun 21, 2010, 4:39 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^love the photos in the links. Post more if you got them.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2010, 2:05 AM

A bunch of great finds! And wow - this thread gets roughly 1,000 views a week!

There's some more information about "In Search of the Dragon's Tale" back on page 10. Following one of the links from there, I found an email address for the director, Stuart M. Rankin (aka See Wan Kei): haymann@hongkong.com
I haven't tried emailing him; if anyone does, please post and let us know what happens!

I have a few more things to share, too.

Here are two then-and-now photos of the KWC area:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/old-hk/3098174924/sizes/o/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/old-hk/3099687739/sizes/o/

The whole set, which is 256 photos from all over Kowloon (not just KWC), is here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/old-hk/...7608671442470/
Lot of really cool photos in the whole set.

Here is a map (from the same study I've quoted from before), showing where the KWC was in relation to Kai Tak. It was shockingly close!
(sorry for the blur, but it was present in the original scan)

Old Posted Jun 22, 2010, 7:05 AM

Video Link

Here is another YouTube clip:

Memories of KWC
Short comments by past residents
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYgja853h7k&feature=fvst

There is a couple of video clips interviewing
past residents in the Walled City Park display area (Spring 2010)
Has anyone watched these films?

Old Posted Aug 19, 2010, 1:00 AM
The Vomit Bag.

^Sam, those Walled City photographs and maps that you sent me are spectacular, and need to be posted here in the annals of SSP! I hope to secure permission to repost them here.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2010, 1:29 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Extremely rare photos of the Walled city of Kowloon. Many thanks to SAM 1234 for sharing these photos. All photos courtesy of Mrs. Ho (KWC Study Paper, Hong Kong University archives: http://lookup.lib.hku.hk/lookup/bib/B36228527). Here is the first batch (more to come!):

.photobucket.com/albums/e308/Cassecroute/cages2.jpg[/IMG]

Old Posted Aug 24, 2010, 1:09 PM
The Vomit Bag.

More rarely seen photos and angles of the Walled City of Kowloon:

The water supply and standpipes:

Up on the roof, where the air is so fresh and clean (if you can stand the ear-shattering roar of planes landing at adjacent Kai tak airport!):

This Dentist is accepting new patients:

All photos courtesy of Mrs. Ho (KWC Study Paper, Hong Kong University archives: http://lookup.lib.hku.hk/lookup/bib/B36228527).

Old Posted Aug 24, 2010, 1:14 PM
The Vomit Bag.

"Street-life" in the Walled City:

All photos courtesy of Mrs. Ho (KWC Study Paper, Hong Kong University archives: http://lookup.lib.hku.hk/lookup/bib/B36228527).

Old Posted Aug 25, 2010, 6:44 AM
Heavy User

Every now and again this thread comes back to life and every time it does I pop in to check it out. This place will always fascinate and shock me with its mix of poverty, density, and anarchy. I can't not look away whenever someone posts images or videos.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2010, 7:55 AM

I feel kind of guilty saying this, and I have a feeling that throughout the last 16 pages someone possibly already has... but when I look at this structure, the first thing that pops into my head is the image of blocks of compressed garbage from a compactor. It is so multi-colored, and squashed looking.

The thought that people were living in there is both vaguely disturbing and fascinating at the same time.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2010, 1:48 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagseshopping View Post
You have raised a nice topic for discussion and its high time to know how may of us are aware about it.
I smell SPAM.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2010, 3:01 AM

Molsons photos

Molson, glad you were able to post the photos.

Did you notice the rat in the center of the photo in the piping section
of photos?

The (illegal) building extensions/cages were actually quite expensive,
if you lucky enough to have an outside flat.
They averaged 3' X 10'. You can notice the different
iron work patterns on the cages.
Some were quite fancy and intricate, some were plainly
copied from the local jail.

Can you imagine compacting 30,000 persons into an area smaller
than the size of an average Amercican shopping mall?

Old Posted Sep 13, 2010, 3:52 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^I couldn't imagine that. Nor could I imagine 30,000 of the average-sized American mall shoppers congregating together. Too much lard.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2010, 6:43 PM
Khan

Thanks SAM and Molson. Fascinating photos. Although the size of the human community living in the walled city is no doubt astounding, I can't help but speculate that the size of the cockroach community, were it known, would be even more astounding.
With coarse rice to eat, with water to drink, and my bended arm for a pillow - I have still joy in the midst of these things. Riches and honors acquired by unrighteousness are to me as a floating cloud.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions