HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Feb 24, 2008, 4:21 AM

^ nice! i thought i couldn't see through the crown anymore, but i thought it might just be haze, haha. thanks for the confirming shot. looks very good, and i'm excited for them to finally cover up that concrete

Old Posted Feb 24, 2008, 3:08 PM
Looking up!

One Museum Park

This was taken yesterday, 2/23/08.

The eastern portion of the crown is almost complete!

Err... this is my first picture posted, so hopefully it turns out ok!

Old Posted Feb 24, 2008, 3:24 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

the crown is flatter (visually) than I would have liked. It doesn't seem to flow very well with the rest of the building.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2008, 6:29 PM

02/23/08

Old Posted Feb 24, 2008, 6:51 PM

OMPW 02/23/08

Old Posted Feb 25, 2008, 8:34 PM

02/23/08

Old Posted Feb 25, 2008, 9:18 PM
BANNED

i'm not trying to be an asshole; what do you guys see in this? please tell me.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2008, 9:29 PM
Chicago Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianXSands View Post
I think I'm with you on this one. I really liked this at first but the taller its gotten the more of a mess it seems to have become.

Especially in the last shot, it really has no rhyme or reason to it. Maybe it will look better with some neighbors. In NBear927's shot I kind of like it, but when it stands alone it looks oddly throw together.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2008, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrabbit View Post
15 Feb, looking SW:
When you're standing on Roosevelt looking up at it like this, it's a great looking builing. The "nose" or whatever you want to call it, is the best part.

As for the whole, the way it waterfalls down the East flank is a little more abstract than I would have done, I'm more geometric, but it's not painted concrete, so bonus points for that.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2008, 9:41 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
your black and white understanding of our built environment is way too simplistic for me. is OMP a great building? hardly. is it an ok building? yes.

there's a difference between shit and average, however, from all of your posts on this forum it seems as though you believe that if a new project isn't some mind-blowing, form-busting, avant-guard breakthrough of a building then it's a pile of worthless horse manure. only a few buildings get to be great, the VAST majority of chicago's, or any city's, skyline is made up of average looking buildings. they're not amazing, but they're not shit either. they just are what they are. OMP is solidly in this group of good, not great, buildings.

as for what i specifically like about OMP, i like it for its humor. as i stated so many years ago, it's a broad-shouldered, chicago-framed man standing on the south side in a miami suit. it's certainly a tower that doesn't take itself too seriously, but in a fun way not the cartoonish, stupid fashion like some of the early pomo central station towers. i'm still a little annoyed with the massing towards the top (the earlier versions with the elongated central tower element had better proportions), but over all it's got a pretty good skin, offers an interesting form we haven't really seen before in chicago, and is really starting to fit into its role standing sentinel over the south end of GP. because of its location, this one wins big points for its size, scale, and height alone. the skyline had been crying out for generations for something of this scale to be built down there. grant park is naked no more.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2008, 10:13 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38
it's not painted concrete, so bonus points for that.
yeah bonus for not being completely awful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan
this one wins big points for its size, scale, and height alone.
see, that's the biggest problem i have with it. it's way too tall and big.

i just don't see any grace here. and according to the masterminds at p/h the set-backs add 'elegance, grace, and balance' hmmm, all i see is a GIANT silver obelisk and a wall of blue. i guess this one is over my head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan
if a new project isn't some mind-blowing, form-busting, avant-guard breakthrough of a building then it's a pile of worthless horse manure.
dan, your posts always make me laugh!

Old Posted Feb 25, 2008, 10:28 PM
Chicago Enthusiast

Quote:
I think the height is fine, I think its too fat.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2008, 10:31 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
perhaps you're living in the wrong city? tall and big is what broad-shouldered chicago is all about. maybe peoria would be more your speed?

Old Posted Feb 25, 2008, 10:32 PM
BANNED

^^^ Adrian, you don't like it because its too big? You do realize that just about every building you like now were considered "too big" and not graceful at all at the time they were built. Hell you invoke the word "obelisk" while one of your favorite buildings is literally and obelisk, only black instead of "silver".

As far as your initial question, I don't think it amazing, but its a decent corner, bookend style building. Its got a fascinating shape that looks different from every angle you view it. Its also got a nice curtain-wall and good vertically.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2008, 11:05 PM

Yeah, I think it looks pretty cool. Nothing mind blowing, it gets a little complicated with the 5 building-in-one effect. I think the overall shape is alright, a little too thick at the bottom. The cladding is a little played out now, there's tons of blue glass going up; but considering there wasnt alot of really tall blue glass buildings before, I think they figured it would be a good color. ALso the crown isnt done yet, so we'll see how that turns out. I agree with whoever said it should slope a little more.

I tend to look at buildings within the context of the rest of the skyline though, and not as individual buildings. From that standpoint, I think OMP really impoves the south loop skyline, and chicago in general. Like many have said, it closes off grant park well, and is a good corner building. It may not be an instant icon that some seem to be expecting, but its a decent building for the prominent spot it has. Ill admit Im more into skylines ( height and density) than architecture though.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2008, 11:10 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Quote:
The cornerpiece has a verticality that is rare in buildings today. That is one of my favorite aspects.

Again, as steely said. Its not an awesome building, but its also not a piece of junk. It has its postives, which slightly outweigh the negatives imo.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2008, 12:03 AM

I hate to quote myself but since the question was asked what we see in 1mp I will post this again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2PRUROCKS! View Post
Now on to 1mp, the topic of this thread. This building is turning out to be great! A real stunner! I don't say this lightly. Ever since this building was proposed and we saw the first initial renderings I had high hopes for it but I had some concerns. In almost everyway this building has exceeded my expectation and the real thing looks better than the renderings. A lot still depends on how the crown turns out, but based on the structure I see so far victor's model photos, and the renderings I think it should turn out great. Once this building is complete it will be my favorite highrise building of this boom so far
(provided the crown turns out well). Up to this point my favorite highrises of this boom have been 340 Randolph and Hyatt Center, but building should easily surpass those 2. As a matter of fact this is probably the building that is above ground that is exciting me the most know
(even more than Aqua and Trump probably because of its location and it is topped out).

Hear are some of the reasons I think this building is great:

1 the height and location really make it stand out

2 the way it fits it's site at the corner of Roosevelt and the RR tracks, it makes perfect use of the site with the central lobe and the wings extending south and west

3 the two tones of glass was a great move that I didn't anticipate based on earlier renderings. It really helps break the building up so it looks less massive and allows the different parts to stand out. The 2 tones look great and really complement each other.

4 The vertical metal columns in the central lobe vs the horizontal banding on the wings. The vertical thrust of the central lobe is accentuated and the buildings parts are broken up

5 the set backs, I am normally not a huge fan of set backs but in this case they work to perfect effect to brake up the building and making it look like a tight cluster of multiple buildings

6 The crown, I really like it when buildings end in some sort of dramatic fashion instead of with a whimper or a collection of ugly utilitarian mechanical structures. This building is likely to have a great finish that is both decorative and makes the building really stand out as it anchors the southern skyline, and functional as it houses and conceals the mechanical structures. I was a little worried the crown would appear to be abruptly plopped on the top if there was not enough separation between where the central lobe ends and the final setbacks of the wings end. However, so far from what I can discern of the crown it appears this will not be the case. It looks like the central lobe will rise far enough above the final setbacks of the wings. This has the promise of being one of the best crowns or finishes in Chicago.

7 overall all the fit and finish and overall quality of glass and metal are very good which this location calls for. My only concern is that there are bigger gaps at the joints of the metal columns on the central lobe than I would like. I think a snugger fit at the joint or even using extruded metal would have been better. But overall the fit and finish seems very good.

I had been concerned that the building my appear too bulky from certain angels. Overall I think this concern has been largely put to rest. Things done to brake the building up (2 tones of glass, setbacks, and vertical and horizontal elements) really helped mitigate this. I wouldn't mind if the central lobe rose a couple stories higher than the wings still, but overall this building looks to have turned out great and be worthy of its location.
I will also add to this that I really like that this building is not a box. I find it's shape to be unique and appealing. There is nothing wrong with well done boxes it is just that Chicago has so many of them and could use more diversity in the overall shapes of its buildings. I think it would make the fine boxes we have stand out even more and be more appealing. I like skylines with diversity and this adds to it.

As the crown continues to progress I am a little concerned. I will reserver final judgment until it is complete, but I have to agree so far with Alliance that it looks a little flat. From the renderings and the model it lookes like it would have a smoother finish with more of a curve. Instead you can tell it is made up of metal pannels that don't totally yeild a smooth countiounsly curving surface on the horzontial plane. Hopefully when it is complete this will have been resolved. But, even if it dosen't get any better it is still a good building.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2008, 12:25 AM

Quote:
It won't always be too tall and big:

This is Chicago. The city grows into itself and you can be sure of that here.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2008, 12:27 AM
Accountz Payabo

I think it's a little too stocky, but it's a little hard to tell how the crane effects that. When it comes down, it'll look a little thinner. Just don't know if it'll be enough to qualify as sleek.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2008, 2:41 AM
Desert Dweller

I love it

Fits in with its surroundings well, cant wait for the other supertalls nearby to go up.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive