HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. Welcome!

You are currently browsing as a guest. Register with the SkyscraperPage Forum and join this growing community of skyscraper enthusiasts. Registering has benefits such as fewer ads, the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West

Old Posted Sep 11, 2006, 5:21 PM

LA business journal has more info about the glass tower. I think someone on this board has a subscription:

Future of L.A.’s Glass Tower Project Becomes More Clear
Amir Kalantari acknowledges that when he took 10 months to revise and revamp his plans for his downtown Glass Tower project some in the real estate industry began to question the fate of the idle project...(gotta pay for the rest)

Old Posted Sep 11, 2006, 5:33 PM
Rico!!

I googled the guy's name and added "Glass tower" to the search... this came up as the first hit. I don't pay for the subscription, so mods, if you think it should be removed, please do. Though I do think that LA Business Journal should protect its content from Google indexes if it doesn't want non-subscribers from accessing its content.

Amir Kalantari acknowledges that when he took 10 months to revise and revamp his plans for his downtown Glass Tower project some in the real estate industry began to question the fate of the idle project.

They speculated that the Los Angeles-based Kalantari Group had decided to instead cancel the project and flip the property.

Kalantari said he never planned to scrap plans for the 25-story condo tower at the northeast corner of 11th Street and Grand Avenue; instead he used the year to evaluate construction trends, hire a new architectural firm, DeStefano and Partners Ltd., and generally get his “ducks in a row.”

“It’s not the type of project I wanted to do with other projects on the table,” said Kalantari, owner of his namesake company.

Last month, DeStefano replaced Nadel Architects Inc. on the project, and lead designer Doug Hanson and senior designer Laura Jimenez are currently working on the concept design for the 128-unit tower. Los Angeles-based Kalantari Group purchased the land in 2004 and got it entitled in 2005.

Befitting its name, the 192,000-square-foot tower will heavily incorporate glass into its exterior design. Renderings done by Nadel Architects also included extensive exterior glass work, but Kalantari said the new design will be more contemporary.

“We are very excited about working on the project,” Jimenez said. “Amir is a great client. He wants some exciting architecture – you don’t always get a client like that.”

Kalantari said DeStefano understands how to project his company’s vision of urban contemporary design. “Our whole vision was to create a contemporary counterpart to what is out there in the area now,” he said.

Condo units will range in size from approximately 850 square feet to about 3,000 square feet and prices will start in the $400,000 range and max out near $3 million. The building will also include 5,600 square feet of ground-floor retail space. Kalantari said the project will break ground in early 2007, and he expects construction to take between 20 and 24 months.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2006, 9:20 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ Great find! I'm torn about this news. I'm elated to see that the project is still in the works, but I'm sad to lose the original design by Nadel. I really liked that one. Though I'm sure Doug Hanson and Laura Jimenez will produce a very nice tower. The LA office of DeStefano + Partners is responsible - I think - for the Concerto design, so they do some good work. Plus they actually respond to emails about renders and such.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Sep 11, 2006, 10:01 PM
I ♥ DTLA

^ FANTASTIC! I'm VERY excited about Glass Tower because it's actually architecturally interesting (unlike some of the Vancouverish towers we've been seeing!)

However, "Early 2007" probably means May 2007.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2006, 10:26 PM

How Many High-Rises Are Actually Rising?
Of the 77 planned for downtown Los Angeles, officials and developers anticipate only a fraction of them being built

By KEELEY WEBSTER
CREJ Staff Writer
If further evidence is needed of Los Angeles' transformation into a more vertical city, look to the number of high-rises planned.
Until a year ago, only three high-rise buildings had been erected in Los Angeles over the past 15 years. But as of Aug. 23, 77 high-rise buildings are proposed, said Andrew Adelman, general manager of the city's Department of Building and Safety.
Typically, a high-rise is classified as anything over seven stories tall, but because the city has received so many proposals for high-rises, only those over 10 stories were included in the count.
The last time Los Angeles saw this many high-rise buildings proposed was during the 1980s office-building boom, but this time around developers are planning mainly residential projects, Adelman said.
Of the 77 possible, Adelman predicted that only 25 projects are a sure bet.
The buildings that he is pretty certain will get built are those that have received a temporary certificate of occupancy, that are under construction or that have so much money committed that something very drastic would have to occur to stop the project.
He includes the projects in plan check as pretty solid, partly because the costs of plan-check fees for a high-rise are so expensive that developers don't start the process lightly. For instance, the plan-check fee on the 24-story Evo project at 1155 Grand Ave. was $401,630.
He thinks another 25 will get built if the economy remains strong and nothing unusual occurs in the international climate. The last 26 buildings proposed he gives 50-50 odds.
"We have only built three high-rises over the last 15 years, of which only one was built by private industry," Adelman said. "If only 25 get built, that is still a tremendous increase in the number of high-rises."
The South Group's 23-story mixed-use Evo with 311 condominiums planned holds one of those 25 certain spots because the developers broke ground in March. It's also part of a trio of new South Park residential towers, which includes Luma and Elleven.
Elleven has only five unsold units in the 176-unit project. The 19-story, 236-unit Luma is slated for build-out in April 2007.

Top-Down Construction
The South Group also worked with the city for several months seeking approval on its plans to do something revolutionary for Los Angeles: construct a top-down high-rise project. Top-down construction allows the developer to begin building the structure at the same time it is digging the foundation in order to speed up the construction time.
The process has been used in urban areas on the East Coast, and The South Group has used top-down construction to erect buildings in Portland, Ore. But Evo will be the first residential building in Los Angeles to use top-down construction.
"Using the top-down method will decrease the overall cost of construction, allow tenants to move into the building earlier, reduce noise pollution and allow us to move on to our next project sooner," said James Atkins, a principal with The South Group.
The first step is to excavate the basement level down about 10 feet. Then three-quarter-inch-think steel sheet metal piles are pushed into the ground around the perimeter using a specialized machine. The plates hold back earth and provide a working area.
Then pillars are pushed into the ground to provide additional support. A platform is constructed, and concrete is poured to form a base to construct the building on.
"The piece of equipment vibrates at a high frequency, so it is literally pushing the pilings into the ground as opposed to a pile driver, which just goes pound, pound, pound," Atkins said.
This process allows excavation and underground parking to be built as the building is being constructed, taking five months off the construction schedule, Atkins said.
In order to make a high-rise building pencil out, developers have to find ways to shorten the interest-carry period, he said. The interest-carry cost for Evo is $1 million a month, so the developer will save $5 million.

Bolstered by Competition
Although completing a project ahead of competitors seems like an obvious edge gained by someone doing top-down, Atkins said that wasn't a consideration. He sees anything that gets completed in downtown not as competition but as adding to the amenities that will make his projects more attractive.
"I would love to see other projects come out of the ground," Atkins said. "This is a city of 15 million people. If the market can't support another 200-unit project, we have other things to worry about."
He sees additional residential as continuing the evolution of downtown. The more residential that is built in downtown, the more alluring the area becomes to retailers. And more retailers locating downtown mean more people interested in living in The South Group's projects, he said.
However, he's not as optimistic as Adelman about predictions for the 77 high-rises planned.
"I would be thrilled if 20 percent broke ground," he said. "There has been a lot of land speculation where people have entitled properties. Financing continues to be a challenge, so I look to the developers who have experience."
Amir Kalantari, a principal with The Kalantari Group, which is developing The Glass Tower, says that, like The South Group, he is banking on being located near the $1 billion Staples Center project, adding to his property's success.
Kalantari took a 10-month hiatus on plans for the 128-unit, 24-story Glass Tower while his company completed 3,000 units the company had under construction in Texas.
"This is the type of project you have to commit 100 percent of your time, energy and resources to," Kalantari said. "I wanted to make sure I could do that."
But Kalantri's project is less certain because initial timelines made construction infeasible. He signed DeStefano + Partners as architects and hopes to break ground on the $75 million project in early 2007 and complete it within 24 months.
However, Kalantri includes himself in Adelman's tally because the site is secured and the project is entitled.
Although Adelman's projections of what will get built are on the conservative side, he thinks investors are viewing downtown Los Angeles as a safe bet. And he doesn't think a slowing housing market will be what causes projects to burn off.
"Housing is a necessity, not a luxury," Adelman said. "I don't think the housing prices in Los Angeles will crash because there is underlying demand."
From his position as head of Building and Safety and as someone who has worked downtown since before its renaissance started, Adelman thinks the growth in downtown will just keep on going.
"It started as rentals, then adaptive-reuse condos. People lined up to buy them, and it pushed the prices up to $300 to $450 a square foot," he said. "As the prices continued to go up, it started to pencil out for new buildings to be built here."
The developers with a track record that Atkins referred to are betting on downtown. Among these are New York-based Related Cos., which is developing the $1 billion Grand Avenue project. Forest City Enterprises has focused primarily on adaptive reuse, doing high-rise residential projects with a retail component. Meruelo Maddux Properties, a developer that owns a sizeable chunk of downtown, has a 34-story, 24-unit condominium project planned for 717 Ninth St. Mereulo's project in plan check is on Adelman's top 25 list. Adelman also has faith in the two towers that Moinian Development plans to develop.
That developer just purchased four acres at Figueroa and 12th streets for $80 million in a venture with Henry Shahery, a partner at Miami-based Cabi Developers, which is a subsidiary of GICSA of Mexico City.
Moinian also hopes to capitalize on its proximity to L.A. Live, the 4 million-square-foot $2.5 billion sports and entertainment district that is being developed across from the Staples Center. L.A. Live will feature a 7,100-seat Nokia Theater for live performances, a 1,000-room convention hotel and a 14-screen Regal Cineplex along with restaurant, residential and office space.

http://www.carealestatejournal.com/n...=874985&evid=1

Old Posted Sep 11, 2006, 10:39 PM

Great article... however now I see Citywatch having a new word to hang on... "Plan Check Fee".... anyway, I've always said of all the towers proposed if only a fraction were actually developed that would still be A LOT! I mean 25 sure bet towers over 10 floors is pretty good for a small area like downtown... and if those are a sure thing, the remaining might get the financing needed because the snowball effect will have taken on considerable size. Very positive article!

Old Posted Sep 11, 2006, 11:28 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesBeauty
^ FANTASTIC! I'm VERY excited about Glass Tower because it's actually architecturally interesting (unlike some of the Vancouverish towers we've been seeing!)
Unfortunately it appears that design will be going away and replaced by something more "contemporary". Still, with DeStefano on the case, it could be nice.

I can't believe Andrew Adelman puts Mureulo's 9th and Flower tower on the probably list. I've wrote that one off a while ago when the "Monthly Parking Available" signs showed up. But what do I know? Maybe they will pull it off.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Sep 14, 2006, 7:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAMetroGuy
however now I see Citywatch having a new word to hang on... "Plan Check Fee"....
That could be imprinted on another batch of tshirts, along with the ones that say "I've been waiting forever for the Medallion to finally break ground & all I got was this crummy shirt."

Seems like the scene is in kind of a lull right now, meaning everyone continues to watch projs started some time ago, still waiting for their completion, while also hoping for totally new devlpt to be underway ASAP.

And, ok, I admit to being greedy since I want more than a "fraction" of what's on the drawing boards to actually start rising in the next few months, or no later than very early 2007.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2006, 8:53 AM

Location: L.A. - city of smog; scenesters, hipsters, sneakers, blogs
edit

Last edited by Vidiot; Sep 14, 2006 at 11:46 PM.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2006, 9:13 AM

^That's an old article and has been posted already. The project has been sold to the Moinian Group who is developing a similar project in its place. See posts #1061 and #1081 for details.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2006, 5:08 AM
I ♥ DTLA

NBC 4
Police Monitor Skid Row With New Surveillance Cameras

POSTED: 7:06 am PDT September 14, 2006
UPDATED: 12:24 pm PDT September 14, 2006

LOS ANGELES -- The Skid Row area came under closer scrutiny Thursday, thanks to a $200,000 network of surveillance cameras monitored by Los Angeles police.

The system of 10 cameras was donated by tHe Central City East Association, a nonprofit organization that advocates for property owners on the east side of downtown Los Angeles.

"We are witnessing a horrific human drama play itself out here on Skid Row," said Estela Lopez, the association's executive director. "The problems are complex and 10 cameras are not the total answer, but we must do whatever we can to make a difference."

Lopez said there are 3,500 parolees and nearly 400 registered sex offenders living in the 52-block area of Central City East.

The surveillance system includes 10 cameras at various downtown locations, including the Fred Jordan Mission, Salvation Army, Brownstone Hotel, Emmanuel Baptist Mission, Kijg Edwart H11 Rainer Seafood, Weingart Center, St. Agnes Hotel and Inner City Arts.

The cameras are remote controlled with pan, tilt and zoom capabilities. They are operated and monitored by officers at the Los Angeles Police Department's Central Division.

"It's a force multiplier for us," said LAPD Capt. Andrew Smith. "It allows one officer or two officers to monitor six, eight, 10, 15 areas at one time, and then send chase cars out there to apprehend those people that are involved in criminal activity."

Surveillance cameras are already in use in MacArthur Park, the downtown Fashion District and along Hollywood Boulevard.

"Surveillance cameras have proven to be an effective deterrent of crime throughout the city," City Councilwoman Jan Perry said. "They are a valuable tool that can be used by our officers to apprehend criminals who prey on our community."

No-Fuss: Headlines Only Page

Old Posted Sep 19, 2006, 1:46 AM

The Market Lofts have put up a layout of the Ralphs Market. Take a look. I don't know how to get the PDF posted up here but here is the link

http://www.market-lofts.com/html/retail_level.html

Old Posted Sep 19, 2006, 3:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katfam
The Market Lofts have put up a layout of the Ralphs Market. Take a look. I don't know how to get the PDF posted up here but here is the link

http://www.market-lofts.com/html/retail_level.html
Thanks for the link, katfam! Even though the opening is so far away, it appears the fabled grocery store is becoming actual. I like the (seemingly) expansive deli/hot food/salad/cheeses area. Seating outside is a plus for the Ninth and Hope corner, too.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2006, 5:14 PM

Mid 2007 isn't that far away. It'll probably open before I move into 1100.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2006, 10:59 PM
I ♥ DTLA

^ When are future residents "supposed" to be moving in? For some really funny reason, I thought people had already moved in! lol

Old Posted Sep 19, 2006, 11:53 PM
übersupermegascraper

briggham, those people that you see inside the market lofts aren't residents - they are construction workers

Old Posted Sep 20, 2006, 1:05 AM

For 1100 they said Mid October, which got changed to October. They still need to get city approval or certificate of occpancy.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2006, 2:37 AM
I ♥ DTLA

^ Danparker - Thanks, for some really odd reason, I thought I read somewhere that 1100 already received their TCOs. Thanks for clearing that up. Do you know how many units are still unsold? I have someone who is interested in investing downtown and I wanted to bring him by.

ksep - LOL - I was referring to 1100 Wilshire! I know Market Lofts isn't open yet cuz that's where I want to live ;-)

Old Posted Sep 20, 2006, 5:10 AM

From here: http://206.173.89.41/V4/PropPhotos.asp?sid=90696
These are the properties left. Sq feet at the end.
17 is the 2 story lofts on the pool deck.

3 A 23 1100 WILSHIRE #3702 #3702 $3,746,700 3 3.00 3,406
3 A 23 1100 WILSHIRE #2212 #2212 $555,000 0 1.00 886
3 A 23 1100 WILSHIRE #1708 #1708 $757,200 1 1.50 1,067
4 A 23 1100 WILSHIRE #2010 #2010 $527,000 1 1.00 747
2 A 23 1100 WILSHIRE #3703 #3703 $2,029,500 2 2.00 1,845
4 A 23 1100 WILSHIRE #3207 #3207 $837,900 2 2.00 1,240
2 A 23 1100 WILSHIRE #1701 #1701 $1,215,900 2 1.75 1,548
7 A 23 1100 WILSHIRE #3305 #3305 $1,282,200 2 2.00 1,998

Old Posted Sep 20, 2006, 5:24 AM
Tequila Sunrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by danparker276
From here: http://206.173.89.41/V4/PropPhotos.asp?sid=90696
These are the properties left. Sq feet at the end.
17 is the 2 story lofts on the pool deck.

3 A 23 1100 WILSHIRE #3702 #3702 $3,746,700 3 3.00 3,406
3 A 23 1100 WILSHIRE #2212 #2212 $555,000 0 1.00 886
3 A 23 1100 WILSHIRE #1708 #1708 $757,200 1 1.50 1,067
4 A 23 1100 WILSHIRE #2010 #2010 $527,000 1 1.00 747
2 A 23 1100 WILSHIRE #3703 #3703 $2,029,500 2 2.00 1,845
4 A 23 1100 WILSHIRE #3207 #3207 $837,900 2 2.00 1,240
2 A 23 1100 WILSHIRE #1701 #1701 $1,215,900 2 1.75 1,548
7 A 23 1100 WILSHIRE #3305 #3305 $1,282,200 2 2.00 1,998

So we get a visual of what tower we are referring to.....

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West