These are the things being discussed the most by Battle and those in the know as of today.
Science Museum & Planetarium
- Apparently this is now the top discussed possibility to be brought to downtown within the next 2-3 years. It wouldn't be just any science museum from my understanding. It would be a world-class state-of-the-art, hi-tech interactive museum and educational tourist attraction focusing around natural science and space. Sci-Quest would also be relocated to it. I'm told it would be inspired by the Science Museum Of Minnesota
. It could be to Huntsville tourism what the Tennessee Aquarium is to Chattanooga. Funding could be through state grants.
- There's talk of a nice midsize aquarium that would attract both locals and out of state visitors. The cost may be an issue though.
Downtown Minor League baseball stadium
- I had already said many times that I would LOVE to see the Stars new stadium get built in downtown and now it's being discussed as a major new attraction to bring residents to downtown for entertainment and dining. The most talked about potential location for it would be where the Coke plant is now and the soon to be demolished housing projects between Clinton and Holmes across from the VBC.
- Don't know if this would be a good investment by the city but it is being talked about to lure mroe outdoor concerts to the Valley. They're looking in the neighborhood of a 5,000 seat venue with state-of-the-art sound, possibly covered or half way.
Upscale Movie theater
- Downtown definitely needs something like the Monaco Pictures for fmaily entertainment. This is on the drawing board as well.
Other museum attractions are also being discussed but unknown of which ones they are at the moment.
There's also talks of expanding Big Spring park to the south where the office complex is and develope a museum park in the lines of the one in Atlanta where the Aquarium and the Coco Cola Museum are located.
There's definitely plans for upscale dining and small eateries, possibly as part of a world class museum park.
- A 30-35 story skyscraper is at the top of the priority list of Mayor Battle that would be a mix-use facility. There's talk that WHNT could relocate to it eventually along with other major local businesses.
Expanding the Courthouse
- Talks of maybe adding floors at the top to around 16 total.
That's all I know of right now. If I hear more I'll pass it along.