HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 9, 2005, 10:45 PM

HOLY SHIT! Are you sure that those are in San Antonio? jk

Old Posted Dec 9, 2005, 10:48 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by starvinggryphon
See, I thought I had heard that the condos would be 25 stories each on the news too? The Express-News has them at 22 floors. If you count the levels there are 25. The media always have conflicting reports, such as in the case of the Grand Hyatt (nobody knows how many floors and the design has always been different from the one shown on the news and the newspapers).
I hope to f'ing God they are 25 stories!

Old Posted Dec 9, 2005, 11:01 PM

I counted and its 25, so who knows. I would trust the news-papers, they are mostly accurate.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2005, 7:59 PM
JACKinBeantown

Sweet. I like those. They'll add a much needed newish look to the SA skyline.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2005, 3:29 AM

Mopacs, where did you find the rendering for the Vidorra Design?

Old Posted Dec 12, 2005, 4:08 AM
Austinite

Jaga... I scanned it in from last Friday's Express-News print edition, since it did not accompany an online article. The b/w rendering was buried within the Business section (like page 3 or 4). If you see any other's floating out there, post 'em too.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2005, 4:35 PM
JACKinBeantown

What's the latest with the Hyatt?

Old Posted Dec 15, 2005, 11:29 PM
counting electric sheep

Wow those twins are nice. I'm jealous!

By the way, I checked, and Emporis has them listed at 292 feet tall with 25 floors. The tallest residential building I know of in San Antonio is the Towers at Park Lane which is one building. It's 368 feet tall with 23 floors. I believe this is the tallest building in San Antonio outside of downtown.

Last edited by KevinFromTexas; Dec 15, 2005 at 11:39 PM.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2005, 11:54 PM
constructor extrodinaire!

Starbucks revamps its music concept in San Antonio
Tricia Lynn Silva
Coffee mega-house Starbucks of Seattle is revamping its downtown San Antonio store into what it calls its next generation, Hear Music Coffeehouse.

The concept calls for the store to carry a larger selection of CDs. It will also feature media bars, where customers choose from a wide selection of digital music -- and even burn CDs.

The store, which is located at 111 Crockett St., will consist of 4,100 square feet of retail space, plus an additional 1,000 square feet of patio space. The layout and design of the store, plus the music selection, will reflect the influence of San Antonio's culture, plus the city's local music scene.

The Crockett Street Coffeehouse marks the second Hear Music store to open in the chain. Starbucks (NASDAQ: SBUX) opened its first Hear Music in Santa Monica, Calif., last March. Another location will open in South Beach, Fla. in early 2006.

"Starbucks has changed the rules of engagement for the music industry," says Starbucks Chairman Howard Schultz. "By fully integrating the Starbucks Experience with the discovery of music, the new Hear Music Coffeehouses offer a music retail environment unlike any other and represent a significant milestone for the company."

Old Posted Dec 28, 2005, 3:24 PM
Bears of antiquity

Hear Music is more or less open now in the old Fat Tuesday's.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2005, 7:48 PM
The Space Pope

Anybody been to Suede Lounge yet?

Old Posted Dec 28, 2005, 8:28 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by starvinggryphon
Anybody been to Suede Lounge yet?
Tony and Eva have.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2005, 8:39 PM
BANNED

It's amazing how far Houston St. has come. It has really become "the" scene for locals. It has also give downtown another club area besides the Southbank.

On Houston Street you have the Suede Lounge, Davenport, Zen, and Vbar all within close proximity of each other.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2005, 8:52 PM
Bears of antiquity

If I ever get some cash in the bank, I'm going to get gussied up and head on down to the ultralounges, if only to say, "I'VE BEEN A FIXTURE ON HOUSTON STREET SINCE 1992!"

Old Posted Dec 29, 2005, 4:35 PM
The Space Pope

Travis 151, on Travis Street totally blew me away. It's right on the Riverwalk, and thinks like an ultralounge without having to be one. Such as kick-ass affordable alternative with a down-to-earth vibe and killer djs spinning until the wee hours.....I recommend it.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2006, 12:22 AM
Resident Moron

Those starbucks with the music centers arent really worth a news story. There are a couple of them in Austin, and Ive NEVER seen anyone burning music on their little station. In fact, Ive never even seen anyone at the station. Its a normal starbucks with a few of the listening stations you see in any music department of a store..

maybe this new store is taking that to the next level, its hard to tell.. but the Starbucks on 2222 and Mopac in Austin sounds exactly like what they are describing and its completely useless.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2006, 2:58 PM
Bears of antiquity

There are cranes up on broadway now...

Work progresses!

Old Posted Jan 3, 2006, 5:44 PM
BANNED

More jobs, cash coming to Fort Sam

Web Posted: 01/03/2006 12:00 AM CST

Sig Christenson
Express-News Military Writer

Fort Sam Houston is moving to become America's hub for joint enlisted medical training and will get new troops as the Army transforms — actions expected to bring 13,575 workers and students, 5,000 families and $2 billion in new construction.

The post soon will launch a $250,000 environmental impact study, a federal prerequisite for Fort Sam's dramatic expansion, and is preparing to accept the first of 5,000 military students from installations around the country.

Groundbreaking won't begin for another year, but Fort Sam will raze or revamp at least 46 buildings, one for the Directed-Energy Lab now at Brooks City-Base. The lab concept mirrors that base's goal of mixing and matching private and military research, but former Mayor Howard Peak said it faces hurdles — including funding and access to Fort Sam, once open to the public but closed since 2001.

"I think there's great potential for it," Peak said. "But it depends on what other activities and what other terms and conditions the Army will want. It was a little different at Brooks. We had a wide-open facility as a result of Brooks Development Authority taking over. It was no longer an Air Force base."

The 2005 base closure round is over, and with it the dread that communities across the nation were forced to endure for the fifth time since 1988. But the clock is ticking, and Fort Sam is mapping plans to accept realigned missions within the closure round's six-year window.

Brooks was among 21 installations ordered to close by the Defense Base Closure and Realignment Commission. And as part of the closure round, Wilford Hall Medical Center will become a clinic, costing the city one of its three Level 1 trauma centers.

Brooke Army Medical Center, which is to absorb 1,940 staffers from Wilford Hall's 59th Medical Wing, is one of the jewels in Fort Sam's new crown.

When the expansion process ends in 2012, the 3,010-acre post will have more concrete, less green space and a new service-neutral name for its hospital that may require an Army surgeon general's warning for anguished soldiers.

BAMC could become San Antonio Regional Medical Center North — SARMC. Wilford Hall would be San Antonio Regional Medical Center South.

Fort Sam's commander, Maj. Gen. George W. Weightman, conceded that the matter "will be an emotional issue" but said the hospitals might get other names and that he sees more opportunities than problems in the transition.

"I think the benefits for us are, we hope we will build synergy between different research facilities there, both amongst themselves and areas that can benefit the military in medical research," he explained.

"The challenges, of course, are, what do we have to offer to attract them there? And part of it is, we have a big medical center where we're already doing a fair amount of medical research, we've got a great location right off of I-35 and we've got ties in with other research facilities."

Fort Sam's most complex BRAC-related initiative will be creating the new Defense Department's Joint Enlisted Training Center. Perfect timing will be needed as the post expands its academic campus and builds dorms and support facilities while assembling a joint staff, writing a tri-service curriculum and doubling its student base.

Eight Army headquarters will move here as a result of BRAC.

LINK TO CONTINUE THE REST OF ARTICLE

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/met...m.d2c7a9b.html

Old Posted Jan 3, 2006, 5:49 PM
Austinite

Whoah, this is big news...this will take San Antonio's healthcare industry to another level. Hope this all works out for Fort Sam.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2006, 2:39 AM

Most likely the healthcare will overtake Financing as our major industry. I actually enjoyed that more than healthcare for some reason, oh well.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations