HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Apr 14, 2015, 3:54 PM

Color for next MARTA rail line (heavy or light)

Currently, MARTA has a Red, Gold, Blue, and Green Line. If MARTA were to come up with another rail line (either heavy rail or light rail), what color it should be?

My first choice would be the Pink Line. However, if the line serves Atlanta's gay communities, I would instead call it the Brown Line to avoid being offensive and not to promote gay stereotypes. Remember that the Asian-American communities objected to the "Yellow Line", which is why it was renamed the Gold Line.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2015, 4:43 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Currently, MARTA has a Red, Gold, Blue, and Green Line. If MARTA were to come up with another rail line (either heavy rail or light rail), what color it should be?

My first choice would be the Pink Line. However, if the line serves Atlanta's gay communities, I would instead call it the Brown Line to avoid being offensive and not to promote gay stereotypes. Remember that the Asian-American communities objected to the "Yellow Line", which is why it was renamed the Gold Line.
There's always purple or violet. Orange is too close to gold and difficult to distinguish. Silver is another choice that's been popular with other transit agencies. Brown is depressing reminding me of dead and decaying plants, it has not been a popular choice with other transit agencies.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2015, 5:15 PM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Is there any credible plan to build a new heavy rail line in metro Atlanta, or is this just another tiresome exercise in promoting the color pink?

Old Posted Apr 14, 2015, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fflint View Post
Is there any credible plan to build a new heavy rail line in metro Atlanta, or is this just another tiresome exercise in promoting the color pink?
Well, there is the proposed Clifton Corridor, however, it hasn't been decided whether it will be built as heavy or light rail, which is why my thread says the color could either be for a heavy or light rail line.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2015, 10:13 PM

i propose that we pipe smooth jazz through the intercom if the color pink is chosen for the clifton line. bonus points for kenny g

(am i doing it right?)

Old Posted Apr 14, 2015, 10:17 PM

This reminds me of an article ages back where the asian community objected to the colour yellow going through their neighbourhood, and that wasn't a joke, to they changed it to gold.

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/local/m...ed-gold/nQcTw/

Old Posted Apr 15, 2015, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fflint View Post
Yes, there are two corridors under study and a recent bill will allow the counties to vote for a tax increase to fund them. The last such tax vote failed, so we shall see how it goes. It's far too premature to be making this thread right now.

http://politics.blog.ajc.com/2015/04...tic-divisions/

Old Posted Apr 15, 2015, 1:04 AM

Pink Jazz, I think your "Brown Line" comment kind of flew under the radar here. Very clever and only mildly offensive.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2015, 1:20 AM
No Compromise

Red, green, blue are the primary colours of the visible spectrum, and two of these three combine to produce either cyan, magenta, yellow, which are the primary colours in printing.

Cyan is the opposite of red. Magenta is the the opposite of green. Yellow is the opposite of blue.

Since MARTA already uses red, blue, green, the next choices obviously should be either cyan, magenta, or yellow.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2015, 1:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doady View Post
Red, green, blue are the primary colours of the visible spectrum, and two of these three combine to produce either cyan, magenta, yellow, which are the primary colours in printing.

Cyan is the opposite of red. Magenta is the the opposite of green. Yellow is the opposite of blue.

Since MARTA already uses red, blue, green, the next choices obviously should be either cyan, magenta, or yellow.
Gold is essentially yellow; it is just called the Gold Line to not offend the Asian-American communities.

Magenta is too many syllables; pink is good enough.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2015, 6:27 AM
Discovered in 1593

I hate color-coded metro lines. I'd rather the city simply look at letter-coded lines with colors associated with them.

If MARTA doesn't want to letter-code then they simply should examine using colors that couldn't possibly be associated with human skin color. Silver, Orange, Pink, Violet, Purple, etc...

Of course, MARTA could also look at naming lines based on notable attributes of the city. Peachtree, Olympic, Airport, etc... I've always though that a successful light rail system in Birmingham might include lines with names such as Vulcan, Valley, or Hoover instead of color/letter-coding them.

I've always hated the idea of color-coding rail lines..... it's completely unhelpful and unimaginative.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Apr 15, 2015, 2:05 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by tascalisa View Post
I hate color-coded metro lines. I'd rather the city simply look at letter-coded lines with colors associated with them.

I've always hated the idea of color-coding rail lines..... it's completely unhelpful and unimaginative.
Colors work when you have a multi-language culture in your metro. Only the color blind have difficulties distinguishing between some colors. Numbers and letters work better when the number of transit lines exceed 6 (primary and secondary colors which are red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and violet - the crayons in your basic pack). I would suggest letters work best when the number of lines exceeds 10. It gets really confusing when the number of lines exceeds 26.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2015, 2:41 PM
don't listen to 720

Colors are far simpler and easier to understand than letters, on simple networks that don't have very many lines. At some point you have to switch to letters, but for a system like Marta that only has 4 lines, colors is the right choice.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2015, 2:48 PM

Toronto just started using numbers, in anticipation for having up to 6 lines but Suburban LRT lines will be included in that.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2015, 4:13 PM

I agree with the posts that the use of letters and/or numbers is a last resort option and should only be used if all of the basic color terms (red, blue, green, yellow/gold, orange, purple, pink, brown, and silver) are exhausted.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2015, 12:11 AM

Purple. The Clifton Corridor Line would connect Lindbergh (on the Red Line) and Avondale (on the Blue Line). Red and Blue makes Purple.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2015, 6:52 AM
No Compromise

Quote:
Gold is essentially yellow; it is just called the Gold Line to not offend the Asian-American communities.
Even as Asian, it never occurred to me that yellow could be offensive, but I guess it's true. But will they change the Red Line to not offend the Native American communities?

Quote:
Magenta is too many syllables; pink is good enough.
True, I was talking of maximizing difference between colours. Those are the 6 main colours of the colour wheel. You could use something similar to magenta instead to make it easier to say if it really must be in the name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M II A II R II K View Post
Toronto just started using numbers, in anticipation for having up to 6 lines but Suburban LRT lines will be included in that.
Toronto had numbers, colours, names, for all of it's lines for a very logn time. 1 Yonge-University-Spadina - Yellow. 2 Bloor-Danforth - Green. It's only recently that the branding includes numbers. But the lines already had them before, they were simply not shown on maps, that's all.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2015, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doady View Post
Even as Asian, it never occurred to me that yellow could be offensive, but I guess it's true. But will they change the Red Line to not offend the Native American communities?
Does the Red Line serve any Native American communities? The Gold Line goes right through the Asian-American communities and that is why they complained about the "Yellow Line".

Old Posted Apr 16, 2015, 3:38 PM

I guess they'd have a problem with the Yellow Sea too.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2015, 4:18 AM

Actually, the last tax for MARTA passed in Clayton county this past fall. They are in the first stage of planning the line south of the airport and already placing a percentage of monthly tax receipts into accounts to pay for the new rail and stations. So yes there are new lines already planned and the line into Clayton has funding due to the addition of the Clayton 1% tax. Now whether it will be given a new color or just an extension of the airport line is the question. Given that it will spur off the airport line before the last station and circle around the airport putting a station near the international terminal and continue south it very well could be a new color and considered a new line.

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation