HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. Welcome!

You are currently browsing as a guest. Register with the SkyscraperPage Forum and join this growing community of skyscraper enthusiasts. Registering has benefits such as fewer ads, the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > SSP: Local Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Feb 16, 2012, 2:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley_Refugee View Post
I would imagine, though, that any increase in demand would still not merit a direct flight. It would probably manifest through increased 1 change connecting service...e.g. increased AA service through DFW, UA/CO service thru IAH or IAD, and DL service thru ATL.
Well I didnt mean direct flights, I meant what you said, better connections specifically through Miami. The fact that a transit visa is required(through Brasil and i think other mercosul countries) complicates things for those needing another connection with only a US or Canadian visa etc. but that is why I thought the best bet would be for direct flights YVR to Miami where people can connect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperTiger View Post
I don' thtink they stretch it out at all, I just applied for mine in January, 10 weeks before my trip. I got it in 11 days (including the time it was with Canada Post). The reason I applied so early is that my colleague went last year and it took six weeks plus Delivery time. I think it is really just about how any apps come through the door in any given week.

Don't get me wrong, it is a still a pain in the ass, it's just not that consular staff are out to screw you over.
Well as far as I know you got lucky, not a big deal if you applied ahead of time though. But I do know that they often purposefully stretch the process out and are directed to do so, and I know they wont speed it up if you beg them. Their mandated to give Canadians the same treatment Brazilians get, that is the point, even if Canadians still get better treatment here at the Brazilian consulate then Brazilians get at the Canadian ones in Brazil. American citizens have it worse as far as I remember since they have to pay a few hundred dollars just for their application, take a guess why.

Anyways the point is imo the connections are poor and the demand is there(not saying for direct flights especially since its much easier for Brazilians to get a standard 5 year entry visa to the states then to Canada so it only makes sense to have direct connections from the states). Also as the visa restrictions are eased it will have a compounded effect on travel from both countries.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2012, 8:41 PM

Virgin Atlantic to introduce new
Airbus on Delhi route
PTI Feb 16, 2012, 04.56PM IST
Virgin Atlantic | Airbus | A-330s

NEW DELHI: With the induction of new fleet, premier British carrier
Virgin Atlantic would introduce new Airbus A-330s on its Delhi route from July and is looking at launching
operations to new destinations in India.

The airline was also investing 100 million pounds to enhance its Upper Class offering on its entire route
network, like an enhanced seat, a futuristic bar, a new 'fine dining' experience, new crockery and in-flight
entertainment system.

The new Upper Class cabin would be launched on Virgin's new Airbus A330-300 aircraft, due for delivery
later this spring.

The Delhi route would be among the first in Virgin's network to get one of these brand new planes from July,
the airline's Chief Commercial Officer Julie Southern told PTI here.

Virgin, which suspended its London-Mumbai service in 2009, is planning to beef up its India operations by
considering options like starting double dailies from Delhi and looking for new destinations, she said.
"We may add to Delhi or look at other destinations. The Delhi-London route is showing strong growth and
flights beyond London also. Increased numbers of passengers are flying to Newark," Southern said.

Virgin would continue to focus on "flying more Indians from Delhi to West coast in USA and to Vancouver, when it is launched in May this year. Extra services were also being planned for San Francisco from London,
a route popular with the Indian population," she said, adding, "We are extending to the East Coast of the US
too.

source Economic Times

Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 5:07 AM

do they mean india-west coast flights or flights from west coast to london to than travel on from londont/UK to india though...

Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 7:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
do they mean india-west coast flights or flights from west coast to london to than travel on from londont/UK to india though...
Exactly what I was wondering. Is this to be a new, "over the pole", type service, or just a connecting one at LHR, as you say.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 10:06 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Of course it's connecting in LHR.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
Of course it's connecting in LHR.

I figured; unless this is for the future with 787s

Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 2:54 PM

It has to connect in LHR. VS doesn't have rights to fly YVR-DEL direct. No third party airline does.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACT7 View Post
It has to connect in LHR. VS doesn't have rights to fly YVR-DEL direct. No third party airline does.
I recall reading about Kingfisher doing this... but plans are apparently on hold..... it would be a huge market to offer this. I am sure BA, AC, Lufthansa etc going east and Air China, CE, Korean, JAL etc going west would take a hit....

but would you need the 787 to pull a non-stop?

Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 9:58 PM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxp View Post
but would you need the 787 to pull a non-stop?
Nope. 777s are fine.

But a non-stop route to YVR won't be coming anytime soon. There hasn't been any direct non-stop North America to India route that has actually profited. American Airlines recently pulled their Chicago-Delhi route despite having at 80 percent (often higher) loads. Jet Airways' North American destinations, Toronto and New York, all make a stop in Brussels. Air India is the only carrier that has a direct route left, but keep in mind, Air India hasn't been making any profits at all on any route and thus is a fully subsidized carrier.

The issue of a route going to India is that all traffic terminates in India. One does not transit through India to other Asian destinations. While there have been many airport infrastructure improvements, the carriers haven't marketed themselves yet as a transit carrier. So relying on one specific market for a nonstop route is a bit risky.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Nope. 777s are fine.

But a non-stop route to YVR won't be coming anytime soon. There hasn't been any direct non-stop North America to India route that has actually profited. American Airlines recently pulled their Chicago-Delhi route despite having at 80 percent (often higher) loads. Jet Airways' North American destinations, Toronto and New York, all make a stop in Brussels. Air India is the only carrier that has a direct route left, but keep in mind, Air India hasn't been making any profits at all on any route and thus is a fully subsidized carrier.

The issue of a route going to India is that all traffic terminates in India. One does not transit through India to other Asian destinations. While there have been many airport infrastructure improvements, the carriers haven't marketed themselves yet as a transit carrier. So relying on one specific market for a nonstop route is a bit risky.

Does this then preclude any major nonstop destination, for flights connecting beyond India from YVR then; particularly, as you say, nonstop YVR - India is a long way off.

Surely there must be a market for ongong traffic to the Middle East and Africa. I harped on Istanbul at one point, but it seemed economically unfeasibe. Oh well, I guess a lot of our travelling future still rests in changing panes at YYZ and LHR. We're still very much a "spoke" with a touch of "hub."

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 7:49 AM
G'day

Just read on airlineroute.net...

Air NZ is increasing YVR to 5 weekly next winter.

http://airlineroute.net/2012/02/23/nz-w12update1/

I just flew them MEL-AKL-YVR and SFO-AKL-MEL recently and they are awesome.

The lie flat J class seats on the 744 (in particular) were so comfy. Would fly them again in a heart beat. Now to get Virgin Australia to join Star Alliance!!

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 10:48 AM
Vancouver Moderator

^Agreed. VS needs to be in *A. VS J-Class is getting a bit old and warn out. Thankfully, they are putting new seats in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post

Does this then preclude any major nonstop destination, for flights connecting beyond India from YVR then; particularly, as you say, nonstop YVR - India is a long way off.

Surely there must be a market for ongong traffic to the Middle East and Africa. I harped on Istanbul at one point, but it seemed economically unfeasibe. Oh well, I guess a lot of our travelling future still rests in changing panes at YYZ and LHR. We're still very much a "spoke" with a touch of "hub."
Like I said, non-stop at this point of time is not feasible/sustainable and I doubt the 787 would be able to provide significant savings in terms of operation.

Last edited by deasine; Feb 23, 2012 at 8:40 PM.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Air India is the only carrier that has a direct route left, but keep in mind, Air India hasn't been making any profits at all on any route and thus is a fully subsidized carrier.

Air India is also reducing frequency to YYZ and LHR this summer because they're losing money in general. I believe they're going from daily in YYZ to 6 weekly and LHR is being reduced to daily from double daily.

So, I agree, YVR is a looooooooong way away from seeing direct service to India.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 8:21 PM

Quote:
^Agreed. VS needs to be in *A. VS J-Class is getting a bit old and warn out. Thankfully, they are putting new seats in.
Hold on. To clarify:

VS - Virgin Atlantic
VA - Virgin Australia
VX - Virgin America

I could see a case made for VS joining *A, but VA might be a bit less likely considering NZ is in the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACT7 View Post
Air India is also reducing frequency to YYZ and LHR this summer because they're losing money in general. I believe they're going from daily in YYZ to 6 weekly and LHR is being reduced to daily from double daily.

So, I agree, YVR is a looooooooong way away from seeing direct service to India.
I can't see India-INTL routes making that much money. Long-haul, price sensitive/low income pax, lack of premium cabin demand, dearth of onward connections.

Last edited by deasine; Feb 23, 2012 at 8:40 PM.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 10:46 PM
G'day

^
I did mean Virgin Australia.

There is a good chance VA/DJ will join * Alliance.

They now have strong alliances with NZ and SQ.

The domestic Australia market has been Star Alliance-less since the collapse of Ansett almost exactly 10 years ago.

Air NZ and Virgin Australia only "compete" trans Tasman but their alliance is definitely very much strategic and really hard to use the term competitive.

Not to scuttle this thread anymore but Australia domestic market is ripe for the taking right now so hopefully sooner than later... I certainly know one Canadian/Aussie who would be chuffed!

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 1:31 AM
Big City Enthusiast

yes, Star needs to be on EVERY continent!!

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 2:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Aussie View Post
^
I did mean Virgin Australia.

There is a good chance VA/DJ will join * Alliance.

They now have strong alliances with NZ and SQ.

The domestic Australia market has been Star Alliance-less since the collapse of Ansett almost exactly 10 years ago.

Air NZ and Virgin Australia only "compete" trans Tasman but their alliance is definitely very much strategic and really hard to use the term competitive.

Not to scuttle this thread anymore but Australia domestic market is ripe for the taking right now so hopefully sooner than later... I certainly know one Canadian/Aussie who would be chuffed!

I'd like to see flights from YVR to Melbourne and maybe even Brisbane, though I doubt that'll happen for many moons, if ever.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 11:02 AM
G'day

Sunwing increasing YVR summer 2012

Sunwing increasing flights this summer.

Same as summer 2011:
YYZ 3 weekly (MON, WED, SUN)
CUN 1 weekly (SUN)
PVR 1 weekly (FRI) via YEG

New for summer 2012:
SNU 1 weekly (WED)
VRA 1 weekly (TUE)
SJD 1 weekly (MON)

So they go from 5 weekly to 8 weekly.

They will also have a weekly YEG-YYC-CUN on Saturdays.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 11:03 AM
G'day

Quote:

I'd like to see flights from YVR to Melbourne and maybe even Brisbane, though I doubt that'll happen for many moons, if ever.
I'd be the first one on a MEL-YVR nonstop!

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 3:40 PM

Quote:

Air Canada had flights to Melbourne from YVR, but they ended just after 9/11.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > SSP: Local Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure