HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. Welcome!

You are currently browsing as a guest. Register with the SkyscraperPage Forum and join this growing community of skyscraper enthusiasts. Registering has benefits such as fewer ads, the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > SSP: Local Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 3:04 PM

To answer your question, you're being paranoid. Apparently Turkish Airlines is free to choose their own routing. http://www.international.gc.ca/trade...ir.aspx?view=d

It hardly seems surprising that they would choose Toronto over Vancouver in any case.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy_haak View Post
To answer your question, you're being paranoid. Apparently Turkish Airlines is free to choose their own routing. http://www.international.gc.ca/trade...ir.aspx?view=d

It hardly seems surprising that they would choose Toronto over Vancouver in any case.
I agree - I don't think it's some government conspiracy that TK chose YYZ as their Canadian destination. YVR is not really a true *A hub in a global sense so O&D traffic between YVR and IST would not be enough to sustain that route. Outbound traffic might have reasonable, low yield demand but what about the return flight? Where would all those passengers who land at YVR go that they couldn't get to from LAX, ORD, YYZ, JFK, IAD?

Last edited by ACT7; Mar 7, 2012 at 4:39 PM.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 6:34 PM

Quote:
It is indeed. Like it or not, esp now that most planes will soon be able to overfly Vancouver on Key Pacific routes (as the already are starting to) we have to be content that YVR will never be a real hub.

What irks me especially, though is that, for example, to get to Europe, we always have to change at LHR, FRA, or AMS, but more likely at YYZ (to help pay for their $$$mungo airport, perhaps?) and seem "stuck" at getting any more direct European flights at the moment.

If YVR were somehow, magically, a "mid-way" point, > and YYZ is certainly that, even being smaller than Toronto, YVR would have better overseas connections. But that's in a different world, another planet.

We're out on a limb, as it were, much of it geography-based, and we have to forget any plans at being a hub.

Nevertheless, it's interesting to note that the feds ARE dragging their feet, deliberately it might seem, to give YYZ the advantage.

As an example, a high-level sales contact at YVR told me that not only were there several underestimated potential routes out of YVR, but also that he and his team were "bullish" about getting Istanbul as a destination, as it would be very convenient for access to not only Turkey and the Middle East, but also everything from Cairo to Cape Town.
Turkish Airlines is rapidly expanding, and is Star-Alliance. However there is no bilateral Canada-Turkey air agreement in place....... yet...

......... Despite that, Turkish was awarded a YYZ - Istanbul route not too long back. By whom? Ottawa? Or not?

Does that say anything, or am I just getting paranoid a little bit about this "syndrome?" Feedback welcome.
No, not "getting" paranoid. It's nothing you haven't already hammered home in your previous posts. YVR isn't a real hub, it's a small, unimportant city, etc...we get it

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 9:10 PM

Vancouver is a main Asian Gateway. Air Canada refers to yvr as 0ne of it's 3 main Canadian Hubs. Most hubs are major cities with large airline bases( LaX, DFW, ORD) Alaska\Horizon make makes Sea tac a hub.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy_haak View Post

Thank you for that, and yes, you're right.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 10:44 PM

The strong winds today had jets using the cross runway for take-offs, which doesn't happen very often any more.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 11:19 PM
G'day

January Pax Stats

http://www.yvr.ca/Libraries/Facts_an...date.sflb.ashx

Decent January 2012

Every sector up over Jan 2011.

Overall up 5.6%
Domestic up 5.7%
Transborder up 5.7% (I thought Bellingham was stealing all of YVR's transborder market?)
Asia Pacific up 7.6%
Europe up 1.7%
Other international up 1.0%

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 12:31 AM

AC has applied to the DOT for one of the four additional Beyond-Perimeter routes being granted to/from DCA. They are submitting for YVR-DCA.

Competition includes:

Jetblue: San Juan, PR and Austin
Southwest: Austin
Alaska: Portland, San Diego
Frontier: Colorado Springs
Virgin America: San Francisco

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 12:58 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by incognism View Post
AC has applied to the DOT for one of the four additional Beyond-Perimeter routes being granted to/from DCA. They are submitting for YVR-DCA.
Score. I hope they get it. For one, we would gain one more connection to the East Coast, but for two, flying directly into DCA is much more convenient than IAD.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 1:16 AM
G'day

Quote:
Originally Posted by incognism View Post
Wow, that is interesting.

By going into DCA vs IAD, depending on flight times of course, they would miss out on UA's huge hub there though. I wonder if YVR will see BOS or MIA again on AC as well.

Proposed schedule:

YVR-DCA 1335-2135 A319
DCA-YVR 0700-0945 A319

Last edited by Johnny Aussie; Mar 13, 2012 at 1:29 AM.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 8:56 PM
G'day

Delta boosting summer capacity to MSP and SLC

Comparison to last summer.

MSP
Increasing equipment to 2 daily M90s (160 pax) + 1 daily 320 (148 pax) (this is an increase from 2 daily 320s and 1 daily 319 (126 pax)).
However, Sat/Sun shows a 757 (180 pax) replacing one of the M90s.

SLC
For the first time in years, mainline is returning to SLC.
Both flights Sat/Sun are going to be A319, with CR9 (76 pax) still Mon-Fri.

Last edited by Johnny Aussie; Mar 13, 2012 at 9:11 PM.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 11:22 PM

Quote:

By going into DCA vs IAD, depending on flight times of course, they would miss out on UA's huge hub there though. I wonder if YVR will see BOS or MIA again on AC as well.

Proposed schedule:

YVR-DCA 1335-2135 A319
DCA-YVR 0700-0945 A319
Yeah, this is really interesting...anyone know why AC doesn't just fly YVR-IAD? Not enough slots? At least DCA is a US Airways focus city, so there are codeshare possibilities available, I suppose.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 2:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Aussie View Post

Proposed schedule:

YVR-DCA 1335-2135 A319
DCA-YVR 0700-0945 A319
Timing looks to be good for traffic connecting with some of the flights to Asia.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 3:05 AM
G'day

^
Without a doubt, that is part of their marketing strategy timing that flight around the Asia flights.

Another small news tidbit...

Westjet further boosting transborder capacity.

Both daily LAX flights being upgauged from 73W to 73H this summer. Wouldn't be surprised to see a 3rd frequency on this route.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 7:04 AM
formerly tin²ium

Interesting. As I understand it, DCA is used more for domestic flights. It's right downtown Washington DC.

So, they're targeting Americans coming to Vancouver and Americans going to Asia.

Vancouver has some of the best connections to China on the West Coast. There has gotta be a LOT of political traffic back and forth between China and USA and there will be for the foreseeable future.

Also, Air Canada already flies there (from Toronto, i assume) so this is a logical place to fly to.

Just to reiterate, this route will do less to serve Europebound Vancouverites who will continue to be shuttled through Toronto and more for Asiabound business class pax. That's not a bad thing for YVR. It strengthens its position as an Asian hub. Consider that if they flew to the major international hub, it could siphon some Canadian pax and it would give pax more options to fly with another Star Alliance partner, as opposed to this flight that is looking to GAIN marketshare.

Smart Move, in my books.

Last edited by twoNeurons; Mar 14, 2012 at 7:15 AM.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 8:56 PM
G'day

A bit more transborder action

US Airways adding an extra flight Saturdays and Sundays in June. Flights will be operated by CR9. This will most likely carry into the rest of the summer scheds. Just not loaded yet.

Also, AA just added their third daily to DFW for the summer scheds. It looked like they were only going to stay at 2 daily, but back to their normal summer sched now.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 10:52 PM

Well, little by little, good ol' YVR is increasing in importance (# and destinations of flights) even if it never becomes a major hub ... (except for trans-Pacific / Asia flights)

Old Posted Mar 19, 2012, 10:36 PM

Air Canada union blocks entrance to YVR

Members of the Air Canada machinsts' union and recently laid off Aveos employees picket at the Vancouver International Airport. March 19, 2012. (CTV)

By: ctvbc.ca
Date: Monday Mar. 19, 2012 1:03 PM PT

Dozens of travellers were forced to lug their bags to the Vancouver International Airport on foot Monday to get past a blockade that briefly stopped cars from approaching the terminal.

For about 15 minutes, members of Air Canada's machinists union picketed with recently laid off Aveos employees on the road leading up to the arrivals and departures area.

Aveos, a private company that provides aircraft maintenance for Air Canada, closed its Vancouver plant suddenly on Sunday as it announced 2,400 layoffs across Canada.

A number of irate passengers questioned the workers' methods, arguing they wouldn't curry favour by inconveniencing paying air travellers, but BC Federation of Labour president Jim Sinclair urged them to consider the bigger picture.

"They might have been inconvenienced for one day for whatever reason, but… when [employees] win wage increases, when they win dental plans and pension plans, then it's a better country for all of us," Sinclair said.

http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/l...shColumbiaHome

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 12:20 AM

And dozens of more people just had their own "Air Canada, never again!" moment~

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 3:06 AM

Just disgusting, nothing like abruptly shutting out all of your employees! And oh boy, now our national airliner will be serviced overseas (largely in China I hear) what bunch of turds. I hope all the top managers of that company forwent all their bonuses over the past year or so to offset their financial troubles, and cut down their own salaries (but hey, what are the chances of that?)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > SSP: Local Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure