HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum.

Since 1999, SkyscraperPage.com's forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web.  The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics.  SkyscraperPage.com also features unique skyscraper diagrams, a database of construction activity, and publishes popular skyscraper posters.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

View Poll Results: Would you vote for a ETS Rapid Transit masterplan scheme?
Yes, I'd vote for more BRT/LRT 230 81.85%
No, what we have is fine. 30 10.68%
I dunno, maybe, yes, no, whatever. 21 7.47%
Voters: 281. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Oct 29, 2007, 8:30 PM
Community Guy

great move by the city...

City on board to promote carpooling
Edmonton to spend $80,000 to set up regional ride-sharing system
Gordon Kent, edmontonjournal.com
Published: 12:39 pm

EDMONTON - The city is spending $80,000 this year set up a system designed to lure residents of the region into another person's vehicle.

It has hired British Columbia-based Trans Canada Carpool to promote a regional carpool program in hopes of reducing traffic, cutting greenhouse gas emissions and saving money for participants.

"One only has to drive to work in the morning ... and see the number of cars with one person in them," Mayor Stephen Mandel said today as Edmonton joined Calgary, Regina and Kamloops in marking RideShare Week.
Email to a friendEmail to a friendPrinter friendlyPrinter friendly
Font:

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

"It's time for them to change right here and now."

Anyone interested in sharing their commute with neighbours or co-workers can now go to Carpool.ca, a free online ride-matching service, transportation engineer Aryn Machell said.

Figures from Statistics Canada indicate the average Edmonton household spends $9,800 annually on transportation-related expenses, so carpooling could save people a substantial amount of money, he said.

About 700 people have already signed up. Anyone who pledges on the website to carpool at least once this week will be eligible to win prizes, including a $500 WestJet certificate.

Calgary has had 8,000 people use a similar service since it was established four years ago, Machell said.

The system will cost about $50,000 a year to operate once it's established, he said.

gkent@thejournal.canwest.com

© Edmonton Journal 2007

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Oct 29, 2007, 8:41 PM

Quote:
City on board to promote carpooling
Edmonton to spend $80,000 to set up regional ride-sharing system
Gordon Kent, edmontonjournal.com
Published: 12:39 pm

EDMONTON - The city is spending $80,000 this year set up a system designed to lure residents of the region into another person's vehicle...
I'm just going to say that if the city has to be involved to promote this, then it's not going to work. I don't believe that you can manufacture demand for this type of service. If people wanted it then it would already exist.

(and the fact that it does exist, but that no one uses it just reinforces my point)

If the city wants to get involved and to be all progressive then they could start with carpool lanes, preferred carpool parking stalls, or other incentives for users.

I don't see this having particularly impressive results.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2007, 8:54 PM
Community Guy

^wrong...city of van, city of tor...etc. do this and it works well.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2007, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
^wrong...city of van, city of tor...etc. do this and it works well.
There is actual, real demand for this in Toronto and Van. And there's demand in Calgary with it's crazy parking costs and centralized downtown.

But you've said it a million times before - traffic in Edmonton is not bad.

What they're doing is setting up a carpool service that people probably won't use.

If they actually wanted to have an effect then they would give people a reason to carpool, and then carpooling services would spring up to meet the demand.

This will probably go the way of the Bike Sharing program in a year or two.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2007, 9:14 PM
Community Guy

i know many people who are now carpooling in Edmonton to come downtown as they have had their parking rates go up 30% in the past 2 years and throw in gas, etc......

this wont be a hugely used thing, but even if just a "marketing" thing...it gets people thinking and some will do this.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 2:38 AM

LRT should run to international airport: Mandel

Wants regional partners to pony up for it, too

Getting to the international airport or St. Albert could one day be as easy as hopping on the LRT.
Mayor Stephen Mandel today floated the idea of extending the line both north and south of the city – essentially linking St. Albert to the airport.

But he suggested it would require a significant cash injection from regional partners.

“Ultimately this needs to be a regional system – to reach the airport, for example – but this will not happen under our current structure where only Edmonton pays,” Mandel told a Chamber of Commerce luncheon in a speech that focused heavily on his so-called 90-day plan.

St. Albert Mayor Nolan Crouse said his city hasn’t taken an official position on the LRT yet, but it is being considered.

“Yes, we are interested in the concept,” Crouse told Sun Media. “We have not done much work on it politically and we do plan to.

“Administratively, they’ve begun discussions with the City of Edmonton.”

Crouse said money may be set aside as early as next year to begin the planning process.

Jim Rudolph, a spokesman for Edmonton Airports, said getting mass public transportation to the airport is critical, especially because more people are using the gateway. There is no bus service to the international airport.

“We’re willing to support those kinds of talks and seeing what can be done on a regional basis,” Rudolph said.

Mandel said within the next 90 days, council will get a look at preliminary plans to build a new LRT line from downtown to MacEwan College, the Royal Alexandra hospital and the main NAIT campus. It’s that same line that could one day extend to St. Albert.

Mandel told reporters that after the NAIT line, his vision is to expand the existing LRT line further northeast past Clareview, and later southeast into Mill Woods. The plan is to bring bus rapid transit to the west end before an LRT line.

As part of his 90-day vision, Mandel said the city will shortly hire a chief financial officer to advise officials on ways to use money “more effectively.”

As well, early in the new year, the report on a downtown arena will be completed and released, he said.

“Once we have both the Rexall renovation option and the new arena proposal in front of us, we can finally begin to have a real discussion about how a new project could work.”

Around that time a proposal for a new downtown bridge is also expected to come out.

Before Christmas, Mandel said council will get an updated budget on the southwest recreation centre, but warned construction costs have doubled to about $120 million. The city is now looking at alternative ways to fund the facility.

And next week, Mandel said council will get its first look at next year’s draft budget.

“Council hasn’t seen it yet, but we already understand that the pressure on our operating costs will continue this year,” he said.

Earlier this year, Mandel said the document could propose a tax hike of 10%.

frank.landry@sunmedia.ca

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 3:55 AM
Community Guy

fucking christ...WLRT

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 4:00 AM
GT Champion

Quote:
i know many people who are now carpooling in Edmonton to come downtown as they have had their parking rates go up 30% in the past 2 years and throw in gas, etc......

this wont be a hugely used thing, but even if just a "marketing" thing...it gets people thinking and some will do this.
Wait till you see what parking rates are going up to in January downtown

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 5:56 AM
Candidate Somerset Ward14

Quote:
fucking christ...WLRT
quoted for truth.

Can someone explain why they would even consider running LRT to the airport (through large tracts of unpopulated areas) before they run it to the largest tourist attraction and a major employment node which also happens to be in a resiodential area that has crap transit service to begin with?

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 6:41 AM

In his speech, Mandel actually did mention WLRT as a priority, along with Millwoods, after NAIT. I too think WLRT going west should come first but I'd love to see the LRT go out to the airport. Given the expansion in the SW, you could actually see some proactive planning around LRT nodes going out that way.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 1:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0nkyman View Post
quoted for truth.

Can someone explain why they would even consider running LRT to the airport (through large tracts of unpopulated areas)...
...at 80km/h. "Look at all the cars passing us Daddy! Wee!"

Doesn't make much sense to me either.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 2:18 PM

I have no idea why WLRT isn't the top priority. WEM is a huge tourist destination and it only makes sense to link it with downtown.

The way south Edmonton is growing it’s probably not a bad idea to push the LRT to the airport. I would definitely ride the LRT to the airport when I'm going on vacation, but when I'm traveling for work I would either drive or take a cab as it wouldn't cost me anything.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 2:44 PM

Anyone know how long an LRT ride from Downtown to CP is expected to take? Because CP to YEG is 16km as the crow flies, so that leg would take maybe 15-20 minutes trundling along at 80km/h.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 3:26 PM
Urban Advocate

yeah, they'd need to upgrade the trains to ones with a higher top speed. Can't the SkyTrain get up to 100 km? I've seen it get to 80, where as I've never seen the LRT get past 65.
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 3:34 PM

I think an LRT route to YEG is a great idea, but Im just not sure how much it will get used. Excluding connecting passengers Im guessing the annual pax at YEG would be around 5 - 5.5 million.
Thats about 15,000 pax per day arriving and departing. So 7,500 pax going to the airport (one trip on the LRT) how many of those people can we assume would use the LRT? Maybe 10%? I have no idea, but I was recently in Minneapolis and took the LRT from the airport to downtown and I counted 10 people waiting for the train at the airport station - but different city, and MSP is relatively central. So, if we can assume 10% that is about 750 people per day in one direction. one train an hour for say 16 hours - thats about 47 passengers per train. I don't know if that is good or bad?
I would use it in a heartbeat
"Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. Carl Spackler, 1980

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 3:52 PM
Community Guy

^i would use it from downtown in a heartbeat as well considering parking costs and the enclosed environment it offers.

But WLRT should be immediately after the NLRT.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onishenko View Post
yeah, they'd need to upgrade the trains to ones with a higher top speed. Can't the SkyTrain get up to 100 km? I've seen it get to 80, where as I've never seen the LRT get past 65.
So do we envision this as upgrading all the trains? Or would you take a standard LRT to CP, and then transfer to a higher speed LRT out to YEG?

If the latter is the case, then I don't see why we couldn't just do it with express busses.

In fact, either way it would be insane to not try it with busses first to gauge the demand.

And what would be a reasonable length for a trip downtown? 60 minutes, regardless of traffic? Could they do it in 45? Or would they end up at 90?

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 4:06 PM
Community Guy

it would make far more sense to use express buses from the city initially to test er out...absolutely.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 4:18 PM

I believe the new LRT cars on order have a top speed of 105km/h. I'd guess CP to say DT will be in the 15-20min realm. Plus another 10 to Airport at 100km/h.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 4:49 PM
Urban Advocate

Quote:
it would make far more sense to use express buses from the city initially to test er out...absolutely.
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton