HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum.

Since 1999, SkyscraperPage.com's forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web.  The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics.  SkyscraperPage.com also features unique skyscraper diagrams, a database of construction activity, and publishes popular skyscraper posters.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Mar 3, 2009, 3:02 AM
Always running Late

why don't they just get rid of eastern idaho and give it to utah? LOL..

I'm totally joking.. but seriously.. there are some real pieces of work here in this part of the state too...
Problem is that idaho is very diverse and geographically disconnected, with multiple regions competing for limited resources.
Montana suffers from some of the same issues... as well as washington state..
Granted, with population increases in the boise area, eventually they will be outvoted.. so we do have to be a bit mindful of the fact that not EVERYTHING revolves around boise and the treasure valley...
INL is a HUGE resource to have in our state.. as well as the tourism of up north.... Everyone needs to be able to sit down and have honest discussion about issues.... Lots of times it is a perception issue.. where people feel left out... thus making them disgruntled and opposed to everything all the time....

Last edited by Boiseguy; Mar 3, 2009 at 3:30 AM.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2009, 7:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boiseguy View Post
Granted, with population increases in the boise area, eventually they will be outvoted
I think it was the Idahostatesman article a while ago that said if we could unite the Democrat House Reps and Senators from Boise with the more conservative House Reps and Senators from the rest of the Treasure Valley, as well as Kootenai County that we would outvote the rest of the state.
Its only a matter of time until Meridian, Eagle, Nampa, Caldwell, Star, and other Tresure Valley locations realize that what is good for Boise is necessarily good for them. The more businesses that Boise can bring in, the more residents that they have to fill up their half-empty subdivisions and more people to shop at their retail centers. Without Boise these cities would still be the rural towns that they were before the 1980's. But that is the root of the problem, the people in the State Legislature from those towns want to be like the rural towns that they were before the 1980's, but now there constituents are suffering from their well-meaning, but miss-guided ideology.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2009, 7:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonwood View Post
http://www.idahostatesman.com/newsup...ry/684138.html

Three companies are in negotiation with Micron Technology for use of Micron space at the company's main campus near Gowen Road and the now-defunct MPC Computers plant in a Micron-owned building in Nampa, Hiller said. He described those companies as compatible industries with Micron, and he said each would have about 1,000 employees. Micron said in January that it wanted to put the plants back into service, possibly to make alternative energy products.

The story below came out a couple months ago but I thought it was appropriate to post it now since this was brought up. I think there is extreme potential with this new technology/manufacturing but at the same time I can see why an eventual move to China would be very probable because of the nature of the business. Regardless it's something positive and will be fun to watch materialize.

Boise startup lights way to 'smart grid'
Inovus' SmartPole sets the company up to be a local leader in a national energy revolution

BY ROCKY BARKER - rbarker@idahostatesman.com
Published: 01/11/09

A Boise company's solar-powered streetlight doesn't just save electricity by tapping the sun to run its lamp - it one day may feed power back to the grid at times of peak demand.

The Inovus Solar SmartPole - created and marketed from a small office in Downtown Boise - demonstrates the promise of "smart grid" technology, which could revolutionize electric power in the United States.

And the young outfit behind it represents what some local business leaders say could help define Boise's future: A cluster of high-tech energy companies that could tap into the nation's "green" revolution and attract the kind of creative professionals that Micron and Hewlett-Packard have brought here for years.

Inovus is emblematic of the companies to be discussed at the Northwest Energy Innovation Summit that begins Monday at the Boise Centre on The Grove. The summit will bring top experts to talk about the opportunities in the new industry.

Inovus was one of the first tenants of the Water Cooler, a tech-friendly and low-cost business center built by the summit's organizer, Mark Rivers. The Water Cooler and the conference were both designed to help bring together the creative forces that can encourage and attract new industry.

"We need to be doing everything and anything we can to turn this tiny industry into a new strategic industry in Idaho," Rivers said.

INTELLIGENT STREET LIGHTS?

The SmartPole doesn't need to be hooked to the electric grid at all, which makes it ideal for areas wires don't reach - whether they're in the outskirts of Boise or in Third World nations like Vietnam.

But on the grid, its computer can automatically reduce energy use when power demand is high. And the light's battery, which holds enough power to operate for more than six days without sun, could even send power back in times of peak need - which can reduce the need for electricity companies like Idaho Power to build new plants.

Inovus Solar's outdoor lighting system has caught the attention of Southern California Edison, which has 600,000 street lights. The utility is looking at upgrading its electric power grid with computerized appliances with batteries - even electric cars - to maximize the efficient use of each electron in the system.

"We're really focused on the smart grid technology," said Clay Young, Inovus Solar's president and CEO. "We are trying to make street lights a more intelligent part of the grid."

Young and solar inventor Seth Myer started Inovus Solar in 2007. They now have eight employees and contractors with more than 35 employees across the Valley are building the lights for shipment across the country and overseas.

The startup has raised enough capital to carry through its plan for two years. Young and Myer expect to grow three to four times in size by the end of 2009 - but others are even more optimistic.

"I honestly think this is going to scale to a company that is going to do hundreds of millions of dollars worth of sales in a couple of years," said Chris Winn, principal of SSI, a technical marketing company in Orange County that is partnering with Inovus. "It's going to create a lot of jobs."

LIGHTING DESOLATE (FOR NOW) SPOTS AT HOME

The city of Boise installed eight SmartPole lights along a road past Idaho IceWorld where WinCo Foods is building a new warehouse. With the cost of running electrical lines to the isolated location, the street lights would have cost WinCo $12,000 each. Inovus Solar's lights cost $8,000 each - a $32,000 savings on eight lights.

And consider the electricity savings, too, since the sun powers the light, said Hank Alarcon, Boise Public Works lighting tech. "Also the maintenance for the light is going to be reduced."

The light-emitting diode - LED - lamp lasts 10 to 15 years instead of a normal street lamp's five, Alarcon said. And the computer tells the city when the light isn't working.

The company's main market today is in areas without existing power lines. That includes new developments, which can avoid the costs of burying wire, and it includes the developing world, where countries are leapfrogging past old power technologies just as they are going directly to cell phones instead of traditional phone lines, Young said.

Young was a co-founder of ProClarity, the Boise software company sold to Microsoft in 2006, so he knows how to take a company through startup.

When he worked at Extended Systems, he launched that company's highest-growth product lines and helped the company prepare to go public. He's a Boise State University graduate and a Hewlett-Packard alumni.

Myer, an engineer and Idaho State University graduate, had been working on solar systems for more than 20 years when he came up with the idea for the SmartPole seeking to design lighting for Tamarack Resort.
He wrapped the solar collector around the pole and placed the battery and the controls in the base so it was all one streamlined system.

The computerized control reduces the power needs so the battery doesn't drain. This same control is what makes it so useful for smart grid planners.

The two men also were concerned about the effects of outdoor lighting on the night sky, so they designed the light to focus on the ground, minimizing the light that escapes upward.

They hope their system will dramatically reduce carbon emissions that they say contribute to global warming. One pole can reduce 10 tons of carbon dioxide from the atmosphere over a traditional street light, Young said.

"We are very much a mission-based business," Young said.

CONNECTING THE DOTS

In southeastern Idaho, Pocatello is developing an alternative energy cluster around solar and wind generation manufacturing. Closer to home, Micron Technology recently revealed it is looking at alternative energy technology as a way to refill its closed manufacturing facilities.

Winn said Boise is well-positioned to become a center of the new industry, and Rivers hopes to help make that happen.

"The talent is here, the ideas are here and the resources are here," Rivers said. "We need to connect the dots and make the energy industry a growth industry in Idaho."

Old Posted Mar 3, 2009, 4:04 PM

Quote:

I'm totally joking.. but seriously.. there are some real pieces of work here in this part of the state too...
Problem is that idaho is very diverse and geographically disconnected, with multiple regions competing for limited resources.
Montana suffers from some of the same issues... as well as washington state..
I've often said that if the upper West made any cultural sense with its borders, it'd look something like this:

Old Posted Mar 3, 2009, 5:47 PM
Always running Late

that is an interesting draw up of new state boundaries...
I think though the bottom line is.. instead of re-drawing borders.. we need to just learn to work together..
I certainly would not like to exchange northern idaho and eastern idaho for northern nevada and eastern oregon... I think we would be giving away lots of potential and resources...
I think bronco said it best... in getting everyone on the same page..

Old Posted Mar 3, 2009, 5:55 PM

The land which became Idaho after state boundaries were drawn is one of the most beautiful and diverse landscapes of any state.
We should be proud and all work together.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2009, 6:13 PM

Quote:
that is an interesting draw up of new state boundaries...
I think though the bottom line is.. instead of re-drawing borders.. we need to just learn to work together..
I certainly would not like to exchange northern idaho and eastern idaho for northern nevada and eastern oregon... I think we would be giving away lots of potential and resources...
I think bronco said it best... in getting everyone on the same page..
Oh, aboslutely. If anything, I was trying to show how diverse the region is.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2009, 2:28 AM
The World Is Welcome Here

Quote:

Fine with me, That means we get all of Bear Lake

Plyg, Metrosexual, & AVENian

Old Posted Mar 4, 2009, 6:14 AM
silence surrounds you

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANGELD_SLC View Post
Fine with me, That means we get all of Bear Lake
The most scenic half of Bear Lake is in Idaho but you can have it if you want because Bear Lake does not compare at all to the palethera of other natural lakes in Idaho such as Payette Lake, Priest Lake, Lake Pend Orielle, Lake Coeur d'Alene, Redfish Lake, just to name a few, and the list can go on and on and on and on with so many gorgeous alpine lakes that I would have to get my Idaho Atlas & Gazetteer out to remember all of their names.

Just joking with you

Bear Lake is a beautiful lake.

I have a lot of memories of Bear Lake, my father grew up in Franklin so I am very familier with the area.

Southeastern Idaho has some extremely beautiful areas including Bear Lake so we will keep it. Idaho and Utah are fortunate in that we get to share this lake and enjoy its beauty. Bear Lake and North towards Soda Springs and Lava Hot Springs is gorgeous. St. Charles Canyon on the West Idaho side of the lake is a very pretty spot.
Minnetonka Cave is a cool jaunt.
Watch out for the Bear Lake Monster because when I was young it ate a few of my friends

Ahead and to the west was our ranger station - and the mountains of Idaho, poems of geology stretching beyond any boundaries and seemingly even beyond the world. Norman Maclean

Last edited by Sawtooth; Mar 4, 2009 at 6:49 AM.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2009, 9:11 AM
The World Is Welcome Here

Haha don't worry sawtooth, the Lake Monster is an old family friend Her name's Bertha, by the way.

I know Idaho's got some gorgeous lakes besides Bear, but I think it takes the cake... well maybe not, second to Coeur d'Alene .
I haven't been to Minnetonka in ages but it is seriously cool! Gotta love Milkmaid's Nightmare Oh and the Seven Dwarves too!
Utah's got a few hundred glacial lakes as well and that's not even mentioning Lake Powell, Utah Lake, Great Salt Lake, Bear Lake, etc...
Both states are gorgeous, that's for sure

Plyg, Metrosexual, & AVENian

Old Posted Mar 4, 2009, 2:32 PM

Used to love heading up to Bear Lake when I was in college! Beautiful area!

Old Posted Mar 5, 2009, 5:19 AM

Stimulus Money in Treasure Valley

Here is an article from the Statesman about how the Treasure Valley's share of the highway allotment from Idaho's Stimulus money will be spent.

Idaho Statesman

Quote:
The Idaho Transportation Board approved the new list of projects in time for Gov. Butch Otter's Wednesday's deadline. A special committee led by former governors will review the recommended projects, and legislators already are considering how to spend stimulus money to help the state budget.

WHAT STATE HIGHWAYS WOULD BENEFIT

The commission previously recommended eight major highway projects, including the I-84 Vista interchange, before Congress passed the stimulus law. Cost of these projects fell more than $30 million from original estimates thanks to declining construction costs. The wish list includes:

- $43.3 million to reconstruct and realign the Vista Avenue interchange on I-84.

- $5.9 million to first pay for landscaping along the Ten Mile interchange.

- Additional money for other enhancements, including rest areas.

WHAT LOCAL HIGHWAYS COULD BENEFIT

Thirty percent of the $182 million allocated to Idaho highways must be appropriated by population. As the only area in the state with more than 200,000 people, the Boise-area is entitled to $11.5 million. Money that could go toward Treasure Valley-area projects includes:

- $7.4 million for Ada County Highway District pavement rehabilitation.

- $3 million for making bus stops in Boise and Nampa compliant with the Americans with Disabilities Act.

- $500,000 for Boise sidewalks and ADA compliance.

- $550,000 for the 36th Street Pedestrian Bridge in Boise.

- $211,000 for environmental preservation along the 8th Street School sidewalks in Meridian.

- $534,000 for sidewalks in northeast Downtown Boise.

- $700,000 for reconstructing Main Street from Boise Avenue to Washington in Emmett.

- $430,000 for realigning and widening the Franklin and 21st Avenue intersection in Caldwell.

HOW PUBLIC TRANSIT MIGHT BENEFIT

$5.4 million in capital equipment, transit and support vehicles, preventative maintenance, transit enhancement and facility improvements for Valley Regional Transit in Boise and Nampa.

Up to $8.2 million for alternative-fuel vehicles for Valley Regional Transit in Boise and Nampa.

KUNA'S HOPES FOR ROAD-EXTENSION HELP

Meanwhile, Kuna hopes to secure some help with a proposed $15 million project that would extend Meridian Road south over Indian Creek and the railroad tracks and ultimately connect with Kuna-Mora Road. This was not part of the state Transportation Board's request Tuesday.

City Planner Steven Hasson said that perhaps stimulus money could help with the environmental study, or getting the project "shovel ready."

Brian Murphy: 377-6444. Reporter Joe Estrella contributed
I would've liked to see the re-paving and widening of I-84 from Cole to at least the Gowan Interchange on there, and maybe the possibility for rebuilding the Meridian Rd. Bridge, that interchange looks like its gonna be in worse shape when the project is done. I don't get why they just don't rebuild it right now instead of putting it off till later, or until a semi crashes into the overpass.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2009, 2:48 PM
not a cynic

It's my understanding the so-called stimulus money has to be spent on "shovel-ready" projects, i.e., projects that are ready to go within 180 days. Are any of those on that list shovel-ready? That would be a surprise to me. The red tape alone involved in any of these projects is mind boggling. At the risk of sounding like a particular out-of-favor political party, some of the red tape is going to have to be suspended or at least streamlined. Enviro impact statements, wetlands mitigation, ACE permits, etc. etc. Storm water is becoming an increasingly contentious issue.

Storm water doesn't get talked about much, but the costs to developers and consequently society in general are huge. Nobody wants dirty water flowing into the river, but requiring acres and acres of retention basins is nevertheless a big burden. This might be really out-there but maybe it's time we phase out the internal combustion engine instead of trying to contain the mess such engines make.

I'll give you an example. My block has 1/2 block of unfinished curb and gutter and I'm trying to get ACHD to complete it. They have all kinds of excuses not to do it. Well, the storm water this, the storm water that. We will have to rebuild drains here and drains there, we have liability issues, all directly affected property owners must be on-board. That can't tell me where there is a law that forces them to redo storm drains when adding x amount of curb and gutter. It's engineers being engineers, they simply cannot fathom doing something that isn't exactly by the book.

Last edited by boisecynic; Mar 5, 2009 at 3:14 PM.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2009, 9:55 PM

Mixed Use Grand Opening

Greetings skyscrapers,

I wanted to let you know that the R Grey Lofts project is hosting an open house tonight during First Thursday from 5:00 until 7:00. It's located in the Eighth Street Marketplace in the former OW Smith Warehouse. FYI the MacLife store has a sneak preview tonight also right in the same building. This is a renovation project and I look forward to hearing from you.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2009, 1:56 AM

Stadium

Bronco fan.... Do you happen to know when BSU is going to expand the stadium? I know we are in a recession now, but maybe sometime in the future?

Thanks,

Go Broncos...

Old Posted Mar 6, 2009, 3:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaKid View Post
Bronco fan.... Do you happen to know when BSU is going to expand the stadium? I know we are in a recession now, but maybe sometime in the future?

Thanks,

Go Broncos...
Have no clue. I do know that the next phase of the project is going to be filling in the horseshoe in the SEZ. I believe that either the AD or Pres. Kustra stated that they were starting the fund raising process. They will also have to build a new track facility to do this, which depends on BSU getting the land from the old East Junior High. Some one else is probably better suited to answer your question.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2009, 4:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco(bsu) Fan View Post
Have no clue. I do know that the next phase of the project is going to be filling in the horseshoe in the SEZ. I believe that either the AD or Pres. Kustra stated that they were starting the fund raising process. They will also have to build a new track facility to do this, which depends on BSU getting the land from the old East Junior High. Some one else is probably better suited to answer your question.
As a season ticket holder, I got a letter today informing that prices of tickets are going up and various explanations of why they are going up. Not sure if I am going to be able to afford them this year ... but I am sure I will find away... In general, I am OK with paying more if the product stays as superior as it is.

In this same letter, there one tidbit to address the fact BSU has the smallest stadium of any top 25 program. Amongst five solutions for generating more revenue was this from bullet number five:

"Additional seating may be added in the South end zone of Bronco Stadium"

I assume this will be largely due to the first game against the Oregon Ducks. Not sure how may seats they could add to the South, but I image they would be more of the metal bleacher style. The stadium could be twice the size for the Oregon game and it would still be sold out.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2009, 4:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianInBoise View Post
As a season ticket holder, I got a letter today informing that prices of tickets are going up and various explanations of why they are going up. Not sure if I am going to be able to afford them this year ... but I am sure I will find away... In general, I am OK with paying more if the product stays as superior as it is.

In this same letter, there one tidbit to address the fact BSU has the smallest stadium of any top 25 program. Amongst five solutions for generating more revenue was this from bullet number five:

I assume this will be largely due to the first game against the Oregon Ducks. Not sure how may seats they could add to the South, but I image they would be more of the metal bleacher style. The stadium could be twice the size for the Oregon game and it would still be sold out.
I know, i saw the news story on how they were raising prices. They should try and get as much temporary seating for the Oregon game as possible to get that place rockin louder than it already is.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2009, 4:55 AM
silence surrounds you

This will be another great game.
Boise State will turn those Oregon Ducks into foie gras.

Ahead and to the west was our ranger station - and the mountains of Idaho, poems of geology stretching beyond any boundaries and seemingly even beyond the world. Norman Maclean

Old Posted Mar 6, 2009, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianInBoise View Post
Thanks Brian.. When you say south end, you mean close off the south end at the curves? Also do we know how many additional seats that will bring?

I guess something like this...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West