HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Mar 6, 2009, 4:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco(bsu) Fan View Post
Have no clue. I do know that the next phase of the project is going to be filling in the horseshoe in the SEZ. I believe that either the AD or Pres. Kustra stated that they were starting the fund raising process. They will also have to build a new track facility to do this, which depends on BSU getting the land from the old East Junior High. Some one else is probably better suited to answer your question.
As a season ticket holder, I got a letter today informing that prices of tickets are going up and various explanations of why they are going up. Not sure if I am going to be able to afford them this year ... but I am sure I will find away... In general, I am OK with paying more if the product stays as superior as it is.

In this same letter, there one tidbit to address the fact BSU has the smallest stadium of any top 25 program. Amongst five solutions for generating more revenue was this from bullet number five:

"Additional seating may be added in the South end zone of Bronco Stadium"

I assume this will be largely due to the first game against the Oregon Ducks. Not sure how may seats they could add to the South, but I image they would be more of the metal bleacher style. The stadium could be twice the size for the Oregon game and it would still be sold out.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2009, 4:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianInBoise View Post
As a season ticket holder, I got a letter today informing that prices of tickets are going up and various explanations of why they are going up. Not sure if I am going to be able to afford them this year ... but I am sure I will find away... In general, I am OK with paying more if the product stays as superior as it is.

In this same letter, there one tidbit to address the fact BSU has the smallest stadium of any top 25 program. Amongst five solutions for generating more revenue was this from bullet number five:

I assume this will be largely due to the first game against the Oregon Ducks. Not sure how may seats they could add to the South, but I image they would be more of the metal bleacher style. The stadium could be twice the size for the Oregon game and it would still be sold out.
I know, i saw the news story on how they were raising prices. They should try and get as much temporary seating for the Oregon game as possible to get that place rockin louder than it already is.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2009, 4:55 AM
aɪdəhoʊ

This will be another great game.
Boise State will turn those Oregon Ducks into foie gras.
Norman Maclean

Old Posted Mar 6, 2009, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Thanks Brian.. When you say south end, you mean close off the south end at the curves? Also do we know how many additional seats that will bring?

I guess something like this...

Old Posted Mar 7, 2009, 12:56 AM

They really do need to expand Bronco Stadium. Things that I have heard is to horseshoe in the south end. I have also heard rumors about them taking out the track and lowering the field. Then they can add seating at the bottom of the stadium as well.

I like both ideas! I think they should do that. And maybe eventually horseshoe in the northend but keep it low as to not block the view of the mountains and such.

But having the smallest stadium in the Top 25 if a fact I didn't know. Interesting. With Boise being a lot more in the mix of the NCAA these days it can't hurt to try and expand and get the local fans packed in there. It will also help with recruiting (everybody loves to play in big stadiums ) and bids to go to other conferences in the long run.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2009, 5:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo5Boise View Post
I have also heard rumors about them taking out the track and lowering the field. Then they can add seating at the bottom of the stadium as well.
Now that is a cool idea... I'm totally for the expansion. The more seats the better. It's WAY too small. I think people forget that BSU football is actually a huge money maker for the school, so the bigger the better. I watch the Broncos all the time here from California. I've also spent a lot of bucks on Bronco products since I left Idaho in 85.. I'm sure my contributions haven't gone to waste.

At least the Stueckle Sky Center was a nice addition...

Last edited by CaliforniaKid; Mar 7, 2009 at 5:40 AM.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2009, 7:02 PM

convention center

Has anyone else seen this in the news? Apparently the Greater Boise Auditorium District has applied for $30,000,000 in stimulus funds to help build the new convention center. It does not include money for the hotel portion. I won't hold my breath that they'll get it, but it would be cool if they did.

http://www.idahobusiness.net/archive...ntion-building

Old Posted Mar 9, 2009, 2:16 AM

^^^I hope they get it. This needs to be done probably more-so for the overall appeal of downtown by filling in a gaping monster of a lot than for the actual need of convention space. We might need, or will need the space too but getting rid of that lot will do wonders to the appeal of downtown and could result in a significant amount of investment based off that alone. This should be one of the main points they bring up when speaking on the future stimulating effects of the project.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2009, 2:57 AM

Cool things about Boise

Sorry I'm going off topic here... I just want to say a few nice things about Boise compared to other cities I've been to.

Seattle and Portland - Nice cities but it rains or is overcast over 222 days of the year there. Depressing weather.. Both have very high suicide rates.

Cities near the ocean in California - Nice, however the ocean is absolutely freezing. You cannot go out at night near the ocean in a t-shirt. This cold water mixes with the hot air and you get tremendous amounts of fog during the summer. Moldy areas. In fact, some of the coldest times of the year are during the summer. San Francisco is nice if you can live with the fog. Also earthquake country. People can be snobbish.. Very expensive to live.

Southern California - Not bad, San Diego is actually quite nice, airport is horrible, primitive. A bit dirty and run down city. Los Angeles is absolutely horrible.. Smoggy unbreathable weather. Very dirty city. Last time if was there I couldn't even see 30 feet in front of me. You would have to pay me to live there. Worst air in the U.S. imo..

Middle America - Very flat. Hot and humid summers. It's boring. Many floods. Only nice thing about it are the thunderstorms. Northern part of it is absolutely freezing during the winter -20 at times.

Chicago area - This is actually quite clean. Flat landscapes, hot and humid summers. Cold winters off lake Michigan from Canada. Nice people however.

Denver area - Not bad. Cold winters.. Great airport.. Western area is nice against the mountains. Eastern side? Flat, boring wasteland..

Oklahoma city area - Flat, boring state, which is why the government gave away the land for free (sooners). Rundown. Tornado country. Airport was horrible, broken plane parts everywhere. People were unfriendly complainers. Suspicious. I would never live here...

Phoenix area - If you want to roast and get third degree burns during most of the summer, then this city is for you. This is jawa country..

Boston area - Run down, very flat surroundings. Hot and humid summers. The downtown is actually small. My brother told me that you can ski there, I asked where, and he showed me a speed bump... Airport is horrible, primitive.. Nice people however. I've heard snobbish in certain areas..

New York area - Run down, very flat surroundings except for downtown. You could live on Manhattan if you could afford it and are use to being around millions of people. They probably don't post on the forum much, because they are too big and don't care. Expensive place to live. People are nice and approachable except the taxi car drivers sometimes..

Southern U.S.- Never been there, but I've heard it is hot, humid, flat, wet, moldy, and if you could live through a hurricane you might be able to live there. Also flood country.

And now Boise, this is what I like about Boise...

- Very clean city.
- Many new buildings.
- Nice new Airport.
- Boise River with greenbelt trials going through the city.
- Beautiful sunny weather during most of the year. Not too hot, not too cold.
- It is surrounded by beautiful mountains.
- Great skiing areas. 16 miles away.
- Great hospitals.
- Great for families.
- Hardly any gangs.
- Close to Sun Valley
- Large Basque population. Culture.
- Low crime rates.
- The city is not too big and yet not too small.
- People in Boise are very friendly. Trust me, I've been to other places.
- The BSU Broncos live here.

Go Boise... Also the name is cool... Unique.

Last edited by CaliforniaKid; Apr 22, 2009 at 5:08 AM.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2009, 10:17 PM

http://www.idahobusiness.net/archive...stracking-site
Today the city of Boise launched a Web site to track and detail federal stimulus funding awarded to projects benefiting Boise and its surrounding communities.

http://www.cityofboise.org/Departmen...lus/index.aspx

Old Posted Mar 9, 2009, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaKid View Post
Thanks Brian.. When you say south end, you mean close off the south end at the curves? Also do we know how many additional seats that will bring?

I guess something like this...

No, I think the close off of the curve is in the long range plans. I think the letter I recieved was more to address the short term issues of seating for the likes of the Oregon and Idaho game this year. If they use metal style bleachers, I cant image they can add more than 2000 or so seats (wild guess). I heard that there is certain height restrictions for metal bleachers so they probably cannot go much higher than they already are, which I would guess would mean placing bleachers on top of the track in the corners.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2009, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonwood View Post

http://www.idahobusiness.net/archive...stracking-site
Today the city of Boise launched a Web site to track and detail federal stimulus funding awarded to projects benefiting Boise and its surrounding communities.

http://www.cityofboise.org/Departmen...lus/index.aspx
Cool, a website that will track how badly our hayseed governor will screw this up. Heaven forbid the fed save education and health & welfare, two areas that the idiot cuts even when the economy is good.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2009, 1:11 AM

Quote:
No, I think the close off of the curve is in the long range plans. I think the letter I recieved was more to address the short term issues of seating for the likes of the Oregon and Idaho game this year. If they use metal style bleachers, I cant image they can add more than 2000 or so seats (wild guess). I heard that there is certain height restrictions for metal bleachers so they probably cannot go much higher than they already are, which I would guess would mean placing bleachers on top of the track in the corners.
Thanks.. I really think they should add the curves on the north end of the stadium and forget about closing off the south end for now. I don't think the curves on the north end would block much of the scenery of the mountains.. The north end curves actually are better views of the field.. Regardless they need to expand. It will be costly in the beginning but will add much revenue to BSU. I believe the profit football generated in the 2007 season for BSU was well over 12 million. That is a pretty big chunk of change... A lot of that money comes from the ticket holders.. it's a no brainer..

I currently pay around 60 bucks a year for Bronco vision.

Last edited by CaliforniaKid; Mar 10, 2009 at 2:04 AM.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2009, 2:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaKid View Post
Sorry I'm going off topic here... I just want to say a few nice things about Boise compared to other cities I've been to.

Seattle and Portland - Nice cities but it rains or is overcast over 222 days of the year there. Depressing weather.. Both have very high suicide rates.

Cities near the ocean in California - Nice, however the ocean is absolutely freezing. You cannot go out at night near the ocean in a t-shirt. This cold water mixes with the hot air and you get tremendous amounts of fog during the summer. Moldy areas. In fact, some of the coldest times of the year are during the summer. San Francisco is nice if you can live with the fog. Also earthquake country. People can be snobbish..

Southern California - Not bad, San Diego is actually quite nice, airport is horrible, primitive. A bit dirty and run down city. Los Angeles is absolutely horrible.. Smoggy unbreathable weather. Very dirty city. Last time if was there I couldn't even see 30 feet in front of me. You would have to pay me to live there. Worst air in the U.S. imo..

Middle America - Very flat. Hot and humid summers. It's boring. Only nice thing about it are the thunderstorms. Northern part of it is absolutely freezing during the winter -20 at times.

Chicago area - This is actually quite clean. Flat landscapes, hot and humid summers. Cold winters off lake Michigan from Canada. Nice people.

Denver area - Not bad. Cold winters.. Great airport.. Western area is nice against the mountains. Eastern side? Flat, boring wasteland..

Oklahoma city area - Flat, boring state, which is why the government gave away the land for free (sooners). Rundown. Airport was horrible, broken plane parts everywhere. People were unfriendly complainers. Suspicious. I would never live here...

Phoenix area - If you want to roast and get third degree burns during most of the summer, then this city is for you. This is jawa country..

Boston area - Run down, very flat surroundings. Hot and humid summers. The downtown is actually small. My brother told me that you can ski there, I asked where, and he showed me a speed bump... Airport is horrible, primitive.. Nice people however. I've heard snobbish in certain areas..

New York area - Run down, very flat surroundings except for downtown. You could live on Manhattan if you could afford it and are use to being around millions of people. They probably don't post on the forum much, because they are too big and don't care. People are nice and approachable except the taxi car drivers sometimes..

Southern U.S.- Never been there, but I've heard it is hot, humid, flat, wet, moldy, and if you could live through a hurricane you might be able to live there.

And now Boise, this is what I like about Boise...

- Very clean city.
- Many new buildings.
- Nice new Airport.
- Boise River with greenbelt trials going through the city.
- Beautiful sunny weather during most of the year. Not too hot, not too cold.
- It is surrounded by beautiful mountains.
- Great skiing areas. 16 miles away.
- Great hospitals.
- Great for families.
- Hardly any gangs.
- Close to Sun Valley
- Large Basque population. Culture.
- Low crime rates.
- The city is not too big and yet not too small.
- People in Boise are very friendly. Trust me, I've been to other places.
- The BSU Broncos live here.

Go Boise... Also the name is cool... Unique.

Yeah, Boise is very nice and headed in the right direction. But I have to interject in regards to the upper midwest and Boston. From April to the end of October the upper midwest his incomparable weather. Spring and summer bring the most amazing thunderstorms. Summer doesn't get too hot and has that heavy, prehistoric but not annoyingly muggy air. I love how ancient those summer mornings feel. And the foliage in the fall is spectacular. I lived in Boston when my wife was attending grad school and couldn't disagree more with the "run-down" statement. I'd use more flattering adjectives to describe 300 year old architecture: character, history, charm. And the downtown (although not packed with highrises) stretches for miles with great 6-8 story infill. I could have walked that city every day for years and not taken every turn. It always had a new surprise around the next corner. -Just my 2 cents.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2009, 3:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvetElvis View Post
Yeah, Boise is very nice and headed in the right direction. But I have to interject in regards to the upper midwest and Boston. From April to the end of October the upper midwest his incomparable weather. Spring and summer bring the most amazing thunderstorms. Summer doesn't get too hot and has that heavy, prehistoric but not annoyingly muggy air. I love how ancient those summer mornings feel. And the foliage in the fall is spectacular. I lived in Boston when my wife was attending grad school and couldn't disagree more with the "run-down" statement. I'd use more flattering adjectives to describe 300 year old architecture: character, history, charm. And the downtown (although not packed with highrises) stretches for miles with great 6-8 story infill. I could have walked that city every day for years and not taken every turn. It always had a new surprise around the next corner. -Just my 2 cents.
I was just in Boston about 3 months ago.. I will agree with you about the cool thunderstorms and greenness of the area. I had a great time walking the freedom trail and seeing the historical landmarks there. And over all I thought the people were great.

I also use to live in Athens Ohio, so I know how the eastern weather behaves. Also I was born in New Jersey.

Over all, I would say I was not impressed with the area. When you get a taste of the mountains here in the west, there is no turning back. I can't put a figure on it. I thought Boston would be bigger but it wasn't. SF and Seattle are a lot bigger. And the whole town was a bit dreary.. Maybe so in the winter. The new buildings there looked like old ones.. And that airport? Horrible. Primitive baggage claim area. No one cared about service.

And those ski slopes? More more like speed bumps... Sorry.

I've been to most cities in the U.S., and there is something about Boise that I can't describe. It's new.. Yeah the summer can get hot, but there is always a cool breeze off the mountains that cools it off. It's dry, but the dryness preserves the beauty, keeps things looking new. Eastern U.S.? Soggy wet, dampness.

I will come back there someday, I promise...

Sorry, I'm going way off topic now....

Last edited by CaliforniaKid; Mar 10, 2009 at 4:15 AM.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2009, 4:36 AM

Stadium

Guys, this is what I mean by adding the curves on the north end of Bronco stadium. I believe this will add another 16 thousand to it bringing the total to 48 thousand.. Not bad.

I don't think the curves on the north end would block much of the scenery of the mountains.. The north end curves actually are better views of the field.. Much better than the metal ones on the north end zone. Case and point here...

Last edited by CaliforniaKid; Mar 11, 2009 at 5:00 AM.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2009, 12:57 AM
aɪdəhoʊ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boysee Boi View Post
Has anyone else seen this in the news? Apparently the Greater Boise Auditorium District has applied for $30,000,000 in stimulus funds to help build the new convention center. It does not include money for the hotel portion. I won't hold my breath that they'll get it, but it would be cool if they did.

http://www.idahobusiness.net/archive...ntion-building
This would be so good for Boise although the Auditorium District is still working with the private developer. I can only imagine what the NIMBYS, anti growth, anti anything good and anti happy people over at you know what website are saying about this.
Norman Maclean

Old Posted Mar 12, 2009, 2:36 PM

News.

http://commerce.idaho.gov/news/article.aspx?newsid=261

The Northwest's Largest Movie Studio Set to Open in Meridian

1/28/2009
Meridian, ID: Meridian will soon be home to the largest and most technologically advanced film and television sound stage in the Northwest.

Silverdraft Studios is spending millions of dollars to renovate a former beer distribution facility that sits just off Eagle Road. They plan to get the work done quickly and start filming on several projects this April. The new company plans to start hiring 25 to 30 full-time workers soon and says another 40 to 60 positions will be created by the different film and TV series they'll be working on.

"I spent a lot of time in L.A. kind of educating myself with a lot of these producers and the excitement level I got was amazing.
I kept hearing we've been waiting for Idaho to open up to us because of it's incredible landscapes. It's an incredible community and it's a right to work state," said Paul Thornton, the Silverdraft co-founder.

"Idaho as a location has been a great place because of all of our wonderful, beautiful outdoors but there's been a struggle to come here and shoot stuff where you ned to be able to do exteriors and interiors. We haven't had a place to build sets," said Ben Shedd, an Oscar-winning filmmaker.

Now that there will be a state of the art studio in the Gem State, Idaho's movie industry is expected to heat up. The owners of Silverdraft Studios will also putting on concerts, corporate events and live theatre under the name Silvertag Live.

More info:
http://www.boiseweekly.com/gyrobase/...d=oid%3A320835

http://www.ktvb.com/news/localnews/s...o.d0cc221.html
There are other incentives to doing films in Idaho. There is the geography, certainly the locations that allow a myriad of possibilities. In 20 minutes you can be in the mountains, then you can be at a river, then you can be at a lake, then at the sand dunes, then in caves... it's an amazing state. Geographically that is an advantage that people don't really realize is there," said Cavanaugh.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2009, 2:40 PM

Does anyone know the status of this project?

http://idahofilmstudios.com/home.html

The Idaho Studios & Village business concept combines a Master-planned Community and a world class Film & TV Studio Complex, forming a unique joint venture. Uniting these two powerful enterprises will synergistically impact the Boise metro area.

Idaho Studios at Bryans Run is establishing a unique mid-size Performing Arts Center and a 250-300 seat screening facility. The approach is to develop a distinguishing niche that is attractive to both artist and audience and strikes a balance between entertainment and educational opportunities.

Idaho is poised to become another significant production center in North America and Idaho Studios at Bryans Run begins to lay the foundation for this industry with a world class studio facility.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2009, 10:30 PM

Very cool about the movie studio, nice to get a little good news for a change!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West