HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. Welcome!

You are currently browsing as a guest. Register with the SkyscraperPage Forum and join this growing community of skyscraper enthusiasts. Registering has benefits such as fewer ads, the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Mar 4, 2009, 2:28 AM
The World Is Welcome Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boiseguy View Post
why don't they just get rid of eastern idaho and give it to utah? LOL..

Fine with me, That means we get all of Bear Lake

Plyg, Metrosexual, & AVENian

Old Posted Mar 4, 2009, 6:14 AM
The Tree of Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANGELD_SLC View Post
Fine with me, That means we get all of Bear Lake
The most scenic half of Bear Lake is in Idaho but you can have it if you want because Bear Lake does not compare at all to the palethera of other natural lakes in Idaho such as Payette Lake, Priest Lake, Lake Pend Orielle, Lake Coeur d'Alene, Redfish Lake, just to name a few, and the list can go on and on and on and on with so many gorgeous alpine lakes that I would have to get my Idaho Atlas & Gazetteer out to remember all of their names.

Just joking with you

Bear Lake is a beautiful lake.

I have a lot of memories of Bear Lake, my father grew up in Franklin so I am very familier with the area.

Southeastern Idaho has some extremely beautiful areas including Bear Lake so we will keep it. Idaho and Utah are fortunate in that we get to share this lake and enjoy its beauty. Bear Lake and North towards Soda Springs and Lava Hot Springs is gorgeous. St. Charles Canyon on the West Idaho side of the lake is a very pretty spot.
Minnetonka Cave is a cool jaunt.
Watch out for the Bear Lake Monster because when I was young it ate a few of my friends

Last edited by Sawtooth; Mar 4, 2009 at 6:49 AM.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2009, 9:11 AM
The World Is Welcome Here

Haha don't worry sawtooth, the Lake Monster is an old family friend Her name's Bertha, by the way.

I know Idaho's got some gorgeous lakes besides Bear, but I think it takes the cake... well maybe not, second to Coeur d'Alene .
I haven't been to Minnetonka in ages but it is seriously cool! Gotta love Milkmaid's Nightmare Oh and the Seven Dwarves too!
Utah's got a few hundred glacial lakes as well and that's not even mentioning Lake Powell, Utah Lake, Great Salt Lake, Bear Lake, etc...
Both states are gorgeous, that's for sure

Plyg, Metrosexual, & AVENian

Old Posted Mar 4, 2009, 2:32 PM

Used to love heading up to Bear Lake when I was in college! Beautiful area!

Old Posted Mar 5, 2009, 5:19 AM

Stimulus Money in Treasure Valley

Here is an article from the Statesman about how the Treasure Valley's share of the highway allotment from Idaho's Stimulus money will be spent.

Idaho Statesman

Quote:
The Idaho Transportation Board approved the new list of projects in time for Gov. Butch Otter's Wednesday's deadline. A special committee led by former governors will review the recommended projects, and legislators already are considering how to spend stimulus money to help the state budget.

WHAT STATE HIGHWAYS WOULD BENEFIT

The commission previously recommended eight major highway projects, including the I-84 Vista interchange, before Congress passed the stimulus law. Cost of these projects fell more than $30 million from original estimates thanks to declining construction costs. The wish list includes:

- $43.3 million to reconstruct and realign the Vista Avenue interchange on I-84.

- $5.9 million to first pay for landscaping along the Ten Mile interchange.

- Additional money for other enhancements, including rest areas.

WHAT LOCAL HIGHWAYS COULD BENEFIT

Thirty percent of the $182 million allocated to Idaho highways must be appropriated by population. As the only area in the state with more than 200,000 people, the Boise-area is entitled to $11.5 million. Money that could go toward Treasure Valley-area projects includes:

- $7.4 million for Ada County Highway District pavement rehabilitation.

- $3 million for making bus stops in Boise and Nampa compliant with the Americans with Disabilities Act.

- $500,000 for Boise sidewalks and ADA compliance.

- $550,000 for the 36th Street Pedestrian Bridge in Boise.

- $211,000 for environmental preservation along the 8th Street School sidewalks in Meridian.

- $534,000 for sidewalks in northeast Downtown Boise.

- $700,000 for reconstructing Main Street from Boise Avenue to Washington in Emmett.

- $430,000 for realigning and widening the Franklin and 21st Avenue intersection in Caldwell.

HOW PUBLIC TRANSIT MIGHT BENEFIT

$5.4 million in capital equipment, transit and support vehicles, preventative maintenance, transit enhancement and facility improvements for Valley Regional Transit in Boise and Nampa.

Up to $8.2 million for alternative-fuel vehicles for Valley Regional Transit in Boise and Nampa.

KUNA'S HOPES FOR ROAD-EXTENSION HELP

Meanwhile, Kuna hopes to secure some help with a proposed $15 million project that would extend Meridian Road south over Indian Creek and the railroad tracks and ultimately connect with Kuna-Mora Road. This was not part of the state Transportation Board's request Tuesday.

City Planner Steven Hasson said that perhaps stimulus money could help with the environmental study, or getting the project "shovel ready."

Brian Murphy: 377-6444. Reporter Joe Estrella contributed
I would've liked to see the re-paving and widening of I-84 from Cole to at least the Gowan Interchange on there, and maybe the possibility for rebuilding the Meridian Rd. Bridge, that interchange looks like its gonna be in worse shape when the project is done. I don't get why they just don't rebuild it right now instead of putting it off till later, or until a semi crashes into the overpass.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2009, 2:48 PM
not a cynic

It's my understanding the so-called stimulus money has to be spent on "shovel-ready" projects, i.e., projects that are ready to go within 180 days. Are any of those on that list shovel-ready? That would be a surprise to me. The red tape alone involved in any of these projects is mind boggling. At the risk of sounding like a particular out-of-favor political party, some of the red tape is going to have to be suspended or at least streamlined. Enviro impact statements, wetlands mitigation, ACE permits, etc. etc. Storm water is becoming an increasingly contentious issue.

Storm water doesn't get talked about much, but the costs to developers and consequently society in general are huge. Nobody wants dirty water flowing into the river, but requiring acres and acres of retention basins is nevertheless a big burden. This might be really out-there but maybe it's time we phase out the internal combustion engine instead of trying to contain the mess such engines make.

I'll give you an example. My block has 1/2 block of unfinished curb and gutter and I'm trying to get ACHD to complete it. They have all kinds of excuses not to do it. Well, the storm water this, the storm water that. We will have to rebuild drains here and drains there, we have liability issues, all directly affected property owners must be on-board. That can't tell me where there is a law that forces them to redo storm drains when adding x amount of curb and gutter. It's engineers being engineers, they simply cannot fathom doing something that isn't exactly by the book.

Last edited by boisecynic; Mar 5, 2009 at 3:14 PM.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2009, 9:55 PM

Mixed Use Grand Opening

Greetings skyscrapers,

I wanted to let you know that the R Grey Lofts project is hosting an open house tonight during First Thursday from 5:00 until 7:00. It's located in the Eighth Street Marketplace in the former OW Smith Warehouse. FYI the MacLife store has a sneak preview tonight also right in the same building. This is a renovation project and I look forward to hearing from you.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2009, 1:56 AM

Stadium

Bronco fan.... Do you happen to know when BSU is going to expand the stadium? I know we are in a recession now, but maybe sometime in the future?

Thanks,

Go Broncos...

Old Posted Mar 6, 2009, 3:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaKid View Post
Bronco fan.... Do you happen to know when BSU is going to expand the stadium? I know we are in a recession now, but maybe sometime in the future?

Thanks,

Go Broncos...
Have no clue. I do know that the next phase of the project is going to be filling in the horseshoe in the SEZ. I believe that either the AD or Pres. Kustra stated that they were starting the fund raising process. They will also have to build a new track facility to do this, which depends on BSU getting the land from the old East Junior High. Some one else is probably better suited to answer your question.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2009, 4:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco(bsu) Fan View Post
Have no clue. I do know that the next phase of the project is going to be filling in the horseshoe in the SEZ. I believe that either the AD or Pres. Kustra stated that they were starting the fund raising process. They will also have to build a new track facility to do this, which depends on BSU getting the land from the old East Junior High. Some one else is probably better suited to answer your question.
As a season ticket holder, I got a letter today informing that prices of tickets are going up and various explanations of why they are going up. Not sure if I am going to be able to afford them this year ... but I am sure I will find away... In general, I am OK with paying more if the product stays as superior as it is.

In this same letter, there one tidbit to address the fact BSU has the smallest stadium of any top 25 program. Amongst five solutions for generating more revenue was this from bullet number five:

"Additional seating may be added in the South end zone of Bronco Stadium"

I assume this will be largely due to the first game against the Oregon Ducks. Not sure how may seats they could add to the South, but I image they would be more of the metal bleacher style. The stadium could be twice the size for the Oregon game and it would still be sold out.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2009, 4:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianInBoise View Post
As a season ticket holder, I got a letter today informing that prices of tickets are going up and various explanations of why they are going up. Not sure if I am going to be able to afford them this year ... but I am sure I will find away... In general, I am OK with paying more if the product stays as superior as it is.

In this same letter, there one tidbit to address the fact BSU has the smallest stadium of any top 25 program. Amongst five solutions for generating more revenue was this from bullet number five:

I assume this will be largely due to the first game against the Oregon Ducks. Not sure how may seats they could add to the South, but I image they would be more of the metal bleacher style. The stadium could be twice the size for the Oregon game and it would still be sold out.
I know, i saw the news story on how they were raising prices. They should try and get as much temporary seating for the Oregon game as possible to get that place rockin louder than it already is.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2009, 4:55 AM
The Tree of Life

This will be another great game.
Boise State will turn those Oregon Ducks into foie gras.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2009, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianInBoise View Post
Thanks Brian.. When you say south end, you mean close off the south end at the curves? Also do we know how many additional seats that will bring?

I guess something like this...

Old Posted Mar 7, 2009, 12:56 AM

They really do need to expand Bronco Stadium. Things that I have heard is to horseshoe in the south end. I have also heard rumors about them taking out the track and lowering the field. Then they can add seating at the bottom of the stadium as well.

I like both ideas! I think they should do that. And maybe eventually horseshoe in the northend but keep it low as to not block the view of the mountains and such.

But having the smallest stadium in the Top 25 if a fact I didn't know. Interesting. With Boise being a lot more in the mix of the NCAA these days it can't hurt to try and expand and get the local fans packed in there. It will also help with recruiting (everybody loves to play in big stadiums ) and bids to go to other conferences in the long run.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2009, 5:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo5Boise View Post
I have also heard rumors about them taking out the track and lowering the field. Then they can add seating at the bottom of the stadium as well.
Now that is a cool idea... I'm totally for the expansion. The more seats the better. It's WAY too small. I think people forget that BSU football is actually a huge money maker for the school, so the bigger the better. I watch the Broncos all the time here from California. I've also spent a lot of bucks on Bronco products since I left Idaho in 85.. I'm sure my contributions haven't gone to waste.

At least the Stueckle Sky Center was a nice addition...

Last edited by CaliforniaKid; Mar 7, 2009 at 5:40 AM.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2009, 7:02 PM

convention center

Has anyone else seen this in the news? Apparently the Greater Boise Auditorium District has applied for $30,000,000 in stimulus funds to help build the new convention center. It does not include money for the hotel portion. I won't hold my breath that they'll get it, but it would be cool if they did.

http://www.idahobusiness.net/archive...ntion-building

Old Posted Mar 9, 2009, 2:16 AM

^^^I hope they get it. This needs to be done probably more-so for the overall appeal of downtown by filling in a gaping monster of a lot than for the actual need of convention space. We might need, or will need the space too but getting rid of that lot will do wonders to the appeal of downtown and could result in a significant amount of investment based off that alone. This should be one of the main points they bring up when speaking on the future stimulating effects of the project.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2009, 2:57 AM

Cool things about Boise

Sorry I'm going off topic here... I just want to say a few nice things about Boise compared to other cities I've been to.

Seattle and Portland - Nice cities but it rains or is overcast over 222 days of the year there. Depressing weather.. Both have very high suicide rates.

Cities near the ocean in California - Nice, however the ocean is absolutely freezing. You cannot go out at night near the ocean in a t-shirt. This cold water mixes with the hot air and you get tremendous amounts of fog during the summer. Moldy areas. In fact, some of the coldest times of the year are during the summer. San Francisco is nice if you can live with the fog. Also earthquake country. People can be snobbish.. Very expensive to live.

Southern California - Not bad, San Diego is actually quite nice, airport is horrible, primitive. A bit dirty and run down city. Los Angeles is absolutely horrible.. Smoggy unbreathable weather. Very dirty city. Last time if was there I couldn't even see 30 feet in front of me. You would have to pay me to live there. Worst air in the U.S. imo..

Middle America - Very flat. Hot and humid summers. It's boring. Many floods. Only nice thing about it are the thunderstorms. Northern part of it is absolutely freezing during the winter -20 at times.

Chicago area - This is actually quite clean. Flat landscapes, hot and humid summers. Cold winters off lake Michigan from Canada. Nice people however.

Denver area - Not bad. Cold winters.. Great airport.. Western area is nice against the mountains. Eastern side? Flat, boring wasteland..

Oklahoma city area - Flat, boring state, which is why the government gave away the land for free (sooners). Rundown. Tornado country. Airport was horrible, broken plane parts everywhere. People were unfriendly complainers. Suspicious. I would never live here...

Phoenix area - If you want to roast and get third degree burns during most of the summer, then this city is for you. This is jawa country..

Boston area - Run down, very flat surroundings. Hot and humid summers. The downtown is actually small. My brother told me that you can ski there, I asked where, and he showed me a speed bump... Airport is horrible, primitive.. Nice people however. I've heard snobbish in certain areas..

New York area - Run down, very flat surroundings except for downtown. You could live on Manhattan if you could afford it and are use to being around millions of people. They probably don't post on the forum much, because they are too big and don't care. Expensive place to live. People are nice and approachable except the taxi car drivers sometimes..

Southern U.S.- Never been there, but I've heard it is hot, humid, flat, wet, moldy, and if you could live through a hurricane you might be able to live there. Also flood country.

And now Boise, this is what I like about Boise...

- Very clean city.
- Many new buildings.
- Nice new Airport.
- Boise River with greenbelt trials going through the city.
- Beautiful sunny weather during most of the year. Not too hot, not too cold.
- It is surrounded by beautiful mountains.
- Great skiing areas. 16 miles away.
- Great hospitals.
- Great for families.
- Hardly any gangs.
- Close to Sun Valley
- Large Basque population. Culture.
- Low crime rates.
- The city is not too big and yet not too small.
- People in Boise are very friendly. Trust me, I've been to other places.
- The BSU Broncos live here.

Go Boise... Also the name is cool... Unique.

Last edited by CaliforniaKid; Apr 22, 2009 at 5:08 AM.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2009, 10:17 PM

http://www.idahobusiness.net/archive...stracking-site
Today the city of Boise launched a Web site to track and detail federal stimulus funding awarded to projects benefiting Boise and its surrounding communities.

http://www.cityofboise.org/Departmen...lus/index.aspx

Old Posted Mar 9, 2009, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaKid View Post
Thanks Brian.. When you say south end, you mean close off the south end at the curves? Also do we know how many additional seats that will bring?

I guess something like this...

No, I think the close off of the curve is in the long range plans. I think the letter I recieved was more to address the short term issues of seating for the likes of the Oregon and Idaho game this year. If they use metal style bleachers, I cant image they can add more than 2000 or so seats (wild guess). I heard that there is certain height restrictions for metal bleachers so they probably cannot go much higher than they already are, which I would guess would mean placing bleachers on top of the track in the corners.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West