HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum.

Since 1999, SkyscraperPage.com's forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web.  The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics.  SkyscraperPage.com also features unique skyscraper diagrams, a database of construction activity, and publishes popular skyscraper posters.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Sep 19, 2010, 6:35 PM
not a cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visualize View Post
Soooooooo......Anyone know what is going in at the corner of Vista and Kootenai where that cool little Moxie Java used to be?
Jack-in-the-Box appears correct.

http://pdsonline.cityofboise.org/pds...01131252379140

Old Posted Sep 19, 2010, 8:00 PM

College Game Day is coming to Boise

LARAMIE, Wyo. - The ESPN College GameDay crew jokingly helped Boise State football coach Chris Petersen select blue carpet for his home during a promo for the popular pregame show.
Now the GameDay folks can help Petersen with a much more serious issue.
College GameDay will originate from Boise State for the first time Saturday morning. Later that night, No. 3 Boise State (2-0) will face No. 25 Oregon State (1-1) in a game that will air at 6 p.m. on ABC in a full national broadcast.
The exposure - and the Broncos' performance on that stage - could have a major impact on the Broncos' pursuit of a spot in the BCS National Championship Game.
The Broncos walloped Wyoming 51-6 on Saturday night at War Memorial Stadium. ESPN immediately informed the Broncos of its plans for next weekend.
"About time, is all we got to say," Petersen said. "We've been waiting for them."
Boise State's championship worthiness likely will be a hot topic during the 3-hour pregame show, which is one of college football's signature TV events.
The broadcast on ABC should be valuable, too. The Broncos haven't appeared on ABC since moving to the Football Bowl Subdivision in 1996.
"We've got Oregon State, GameDay - it's a big one," senior nickel Winston Venable said. "Hopefully we'll just get it done."
The Broncos certainly did that in Laramie, where they never gave the Cowboys any hope of pulling an upset.
The Broncos took a 17-0 lead in the first quarter for the second straight game and led 31-0 early in the second quarter. At that point, they had outgained the Cowboys 280 yards to minus-2.
"That's one of the things we always talk about is starting fast," Petersen said. "The kids did a great job of preparing - we took this team very serious. We came out with great energy, great emotion."
The Broncos' effort countered the emotional edge the Cowboys should have had. They had a near-sellout crowd and were playing at home for the first time since the death of freshman linebacker Ruben Narcisse.
The Broncos had struggled in two previous trips to Laramie, in 2002 and 2006.
"One thing that's good about our guys - they always hear what we have to say," Petersen said. "That doesn't always mean that we get it done, but they know this is a tough place to play, they know that if we keep them in it and the crowd gets into it it's a whole different ballgame. So they came ready to play."
The Broncos dominated the game in the trenches.
Their offensive line cranked out 275 rushing yards, including 105 and a touchdown by junior tailback Doug Martin, and didn't allow a sack. Boise State racked up 648 yards - the fifth-most in school history.
Martin, who broke countless tackles, also had 40 receiving yards. He averaged 7.6 yards per touch.
"That's what he does - he's a physical runner," Petersen said. "I thought our O-line did a nice job in the run game of being really physical. I thought that was a physical game by us."
The defensive line also controlled the action. The Cowboys rushed for minus-21 yards and finished with 135 total yards - the lowest total by a Boise State opponent in nearly three years. The Broncos recorded four sacks.
"I would think we have one of the best defensive lines in the country," Venable said. "We're deep at that position and there's some big, physical, mean guys."
Wyoming coach Dave Christensen, whose team lost 34-7 a week earlier at Texas, said the Broncos have "good power on both lines."
"But that's not their only strength," he said. "I'm still trying to figure out where a weakness might be."
His team never found one.
The Cowboys only stopped the Broncos' first-teamers twice - one Kellen Moore interception and one punt.
Moore was 20-of-30 for 370 yards and two touchdowns. He connected with Austin Pettis on a 58-yard touchdown pass on a flea flicker and Titus Young on a 49-yard scoring strike.
The Broncos added scoring drives of 11 and 13 plays in the third quarter.
"They're style points, but they're not necessarily for the nation," Moore said. "It's for us to feel like we're taking care of business and we're able to execute the way we wanted to."
The Broncos will need to execute precisely next week.
Their doubters will be watching.
"We're already talking about (Oregon State)," senior defensive end Ryan Winterswyk said. "Everyone's so excited to play at home right now."

Read more: http://www.idahostatesman.com/2010/0...#ixzz100WeQVq8

Great publicity for the city! Lets go Boise State!!! I'll be down at the game!

Old Posted Sep 20, 2010, 9:45 PM

Their fries cooked in duck fat with black truffle salt are the best!

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2010/0...ar-on-the.html

Boise Fry Co.'s hand-cut fries are getting a special nod on Monday with a guest spot on Alton Brown’s “America’s Best.” The local fries won the best hand-cut fries in the U.S. in a Food Network magazine earlier this year

Read more: http://www.idahostatesman.com/2010/0...#ixzz106mmSXoI

www.boisefrycompany.com

Old Posted Sep 21, 2010, 4:33 PM

http://www.usatoday.com/printedition...e21_st.art.htm

Energy states, Idaho leading comeback
By Dennis Cauchon
USA TODAY

Texas, North Carolina, Idaho and a handful of other states are leading the nation's crawl out of the worst recession since the 1930s, a USA TODAY analysis finds.

Since the recession officially ended in June 2009, a group of about 10 states that have outperformed the nation almost continuously for 25 or more years again is generating new income at a faster pace than the rest of the nation.

"Our pipeline of companies looking to expand or relocate here is the biggest it's been in a decade," says Bibiana Nertney of the Idaho Department of Commerce.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2010, 10:48 PM
All man. Half nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonwood View Post
http://www.usatoday.com/printedition...e21_st.art.htm

Energy states, Idaho leading comeback
By Dennis Cauchon
USA TODAY

Texas, North Carolina, Idaho and a handful of other states are leading the nation's crawl out of the worst recession since the 1930s, a USA TODAY analysis finds.

Since the recession officially ended in June 2009, a group of about 10 states that have outperformed the nation almost continuously for 25 or more years again is generating new income at a faster pace than the rest of the nation.

"Our pipeline of companies looking to expand or relocate here is the biggest it's been in a decade," says Bibiana Nertney of the Idaho Department of Commerce.

Bibiana Nertney?

Old Posted Sep 27, 2010, 3:55 PM

Whole Foods/Downtown hearing is next week with P & Z.

http://www.cityofboise.org/Departmen...0_PZagenda.pdf

Old Posted Sep 27, 2010, 4:06 PM

The wild things are coming to get us

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2010/0...-of-boise.htmlHungry bear captured east of Boise Airport
Statesman staff - Idaho Statesman

A 2-year-old, 100-pound bear was spotted in an industrial area near Amity Road and Production Street Sunday afternoon.

Read more: http://www.idahostatesman.com/2010/0...#ixzz10kLgINNC

Old Posted Sep 27, 2010, 7:27 PM

Old Posted Sep 27, 2010, 7:57 PM
not a cynic

Thanks for those links, andyroo. I hadn't heard a thing about either.

The Center on Main looks very interesting. It's a project of BSU's College of Social Sciences & Public Affairs. I took a good long look at the Center on Main's website. I can't wait to take a look at their exhibit. And I'm wondering what their agenda might be. This year's first Fettuccine Forum, which is also a College of Social Sciences & Public Affairs project, is titled "Growing a New and Sustainable Food System." In other words, community gardens.

In my opinion, community gardens are a waste of valuable downtown land. Take a look at the community garden on the vacant block owned by First United Methodist at 12th and Fort. It's poorly kept, thousands of goatheads, at best and is contributing nothing to the tax coffers. I thought they were going to make that a parking lot.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2010, 3:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boisecynic View Post

In my opinion, community gardens are a waste of valuable downtown land. Take a look at the community garden on the vacant block owned by First United Methodist at 12th and Fort. It's poorly kept, thousands of goatheads, at best and is contributing nothing to the tax coffers. I thought they were going to make that a parking lot.
!!!!! !!!!!

Old Posted Sep 28, 2010, 6:37 AM

Maybe some of you have heard of this site, but I came upon it recently, and it is absolutely amazing for looking at demographic data in GIS maps. I suggest getting the free trial so you can manipulate some of the variables more, but it is good without that too. I just figured some of you might like to check it out.

http://www.policymap.com/maps

Old Posted Sep 28, 2010, 2:34 PM
not a cynic

Community garden at 12th and Fort versus Hyde Park Place condo project right across the street. Property taxes collectively paid by the 29 unit Hyde Park Place Condos = $65,251/year (2010 estimated). Source http://www.adacountyassessor.org/pro...dressSearch.do (1207 W Fort)

Property taxes paid by the community garden = $0.00/year (2010 estimated).

Old Posted Sep 30, 2010, 9:36 PM
not a cynic

Mainstream media scooped again! Pleasanton Street Spur footbridge one giant crane lift away from reality. Stay tuned.

Abutments nearly done. Wing walls curing.

Post 5001.

Last edited by boisecynic; Oct 1, 2010 at 12:43 PM.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2010, 11:24 AM

The Aspen Lofts

The remaining units of The Aspen Lofts are apparently being auctioned off. Open House today from 11am-3pm if anyone wants to take a look around.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2010, 4:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudvol View Post
The remaining units of The Aspen Lofts are apparently being auctioned off. Open House today from 11am-3pm if anyone wants to take a look around.
How many are left? Have these ever been sold?

Old Posted Oct 3, 2010, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaKid View Post
How many are left? Have these ever been sold?
There are 52 unsold atm, I think there were 70 units total, so only 18 sold. Not hard to see why, some units were over $800/sqft with HOA fees of $2.50/sqft annually. Some of the larger units would be paying $10-12k annually in HOA fees plus at least that much in taxes, so $2k/month or more to live in a condo you already own.

I read somewhere that construction has restarted on the Crescent Rim project, so that may have influenced the decision to auction the remaining units at the Aspen Lofts.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2010, 4:33 AM

A cool project but grossly overpriced. I believe the penthouse is $3mil +. Even in the best of times I don't know who would pay that in Boise.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2010, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boi2socal View Post
A cool project but grossly overpriced. I believe the penthouse is $3mil +. Even in the best of times I don't know who would pay that in Boise.
I bet there are some people who would pay that in Boise and be happy There have been and are multi million dollar homes and condos in Boise happily occupied before the Aspen was built. I think one of the penthouses has sold, or at least one of the top units that occupies a few floors...the lights are on at night.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2010, 1:39 PM

Then vs Now pics from Statesman article

Old Posted Oct 12, 2010, 6:44 AM

^^^looked through the pictures and read about the old Chinatown. It's interesting thinking about what could've been.

Still hopeful and looking forward to what's yet to come. I really want a big project to gain traction sometime soon.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West