HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum.

Since 1999, SkyscraperPage.com's forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web.  The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics.  SkyscraperPage.com also features unique skyscraper diagrams, a database of construction activity, and publishes popular skyscraper posters.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Oct 19, 2010, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawtooth View Post
Downtown from the top of Table Rock, today.

Beautiful. It seems like a long time since we've had a shot from the Rock posted here.

I really hope that the developers and city come to a happy medium for the Whole Foods. It would be nice to see that lot developed.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2010, 5:20 PM
silence surrounds you

Another view from Table Rock

Zooming towards East Parkcenter. This has to be the new Marianne Williams Park under construction, if not someone please let me know otherwise.

Ahead and to the west was our ranger station - and the mountains of Idaho, poems of geology stretching beyond any boundaries and seemingly even beyond the world. Norman Maclean

Old Posted Oct 20, 2010, 6:44 PM

Any JUMP News?

After last week's disappointing denial by the Design Review crazies, has anyone heard any more about JUMP? It seems to me that the city better pull their head out and get together with the Simplots to make sure they don't scrap it altogether. When else is Boise going to have a chance to jump-start downtown development again?

Old Posted Oct 20, 2010, 7:41 PM
silence surrounds you

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseaninexile View Post
After last week's disappointing denial by the Design Review crazies, has anyone heard any more about JUMP? It seems to me that the city better pull their head out and get together with the Simplots to make sure they don't scrap it altogether. When else is Boise going to have a chance to jump-start downtown development again?
This thread link has plenty of recent news about JUMP with several updates.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=169661

There are several city center developments in the pipeline, so when the economy picks up then maybe more downtown development will follow.

Ahead and to the west was our ranger station - and the mountains of Idaho, poems of geology stretching beyond any boundaries and seemingly even beyond the world. Norman Maclean

Old Posted Oct 21, 2010, 4:18 AM

Nice shots there Saw.. I use to live near the mesa there. Can't get views like that back east.. Well maybe in an airplane.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2010, 1:59 AM

Remember that "mysterious" high-end grocer coming to west Downtown? Well, it's not a Trader Joes or Sunflower foods like we were thinkings...it's a Henry's!

http://www.boiseweekly.com/boise/oh-...nt?oid=1838601

Cool to see they picked to expand to Boise before any other market outside of SoCal and Arizona. BUT the P&Z committee will probably deny it and say it doesn't flow well with NAPA auto parts across the street...

Old Posted Oct 23, 2010, 4:55 AM

That's a surprise! Henry's is very similar to Whole Foods. At least here they tend to have a lot of produce and bulk options. They aren't cheap either.

Ironically, Whole Foods owned Henry's for a very short time.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2010, 9:33 PM
silence surrounds you

The new paint job on The Garro is looking nice.

If anyone cares, watch for my Autumn thread, with plenty of bra's and trees and nature and of course the urbanity of downtown.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2010, 3:28 AM

Jump

I for one am glad that the Design Review committee is not jumping on the Jump band wagon. From what I have seen this is nothing more than a glorified parking garage sitting in a park. There have been several comments made to the effect that because of the bad economy this project needs to be built. These are bad times and people are desperate to see something built. I understand that feeling, but I remember another time when the economy was bad and people were also desperate to see something built in downtown. The result was a little monstrosity called the Grove Hotel. I for one would rather see nothing done than to add another mistake like that to our skyline.
Yes, I recognize that the Simplot family wants to give the city of Boise a gift. I was just hoping for something more than an ugly sweater that that nobody will wear.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2010, 3:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawtooth View Post
The new paint job on The Garro is looking nice.
Agreed. It does look nice.

Looking forward to your Autumn thread even though I'm still lurking for the "ville" set. You always do such a fine job with your photo threads.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2010, 4:44 AM

COBE bldg broke ground today!

Old Posted Oct 28, 2010, 5:23 PM
silence surrounds you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boizean View Post
Agreed. It does look nice.

Looking forward to your Autumn thread even though I'm still lurking for the "ville" set. You always do such a fine job with your photo threads.
Thanks Boizean. Yes, the "ville" set, I have the photos on my computer and will try and get them up along with Id City. Have you been to the little museum they have up there? I need to sort through them still, kind of lost track when I went to Silver City.

My Autumn thread is posted in the city photos forum.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2010, 3:28 PM

http://www.boiseweekly.com/CityDesk/...or-whole-foods

Boise Surprise! Green Light for Henry's ... New Life for Whole Foods
Posted by George Prentice on Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 2:05 PM
There was a little more love at Boise City Hall on Nov. 1, as the city's Planning & Zoning Commission gave the green light to developers of a new specialty market and, in a big surprise, asked developers of a proposed Whole Foods market to return to a future meeting, keeping their hopes alive.

As if the Whole Foods story wasn't big enough, four hours later the commission voted to green light the construction a new Henry's Farmers Market on downtown Boise's westside. The market would inhabit the block bordered by 15th, 16th, Bannock and Idaho streets.
Persimmon II
Proposed Henry's Farmers Market

Old Posted Nov 4, 2010, 6:26 AM

That little development looks awesome, can't wait to see it start to go up. Now I know im probably getting ahead of myself, but just imagine COBE being built, the henry's plaza that could start a nice re-development boom in that dilapidated part of town being built, the good news about Whole Foods which might actually get the green light AND...just imagine if JUMP actually comes to fruition here in the next few months. We might be seeing a new boom in the area again Boise has a few things to get excited about again!

Old Posted Nov 4, 2010, 8:13 AM

That does look pretty intriguing from what I can tell from that small picture, cool stuff. I'm really waiting on what's going to happen around 11th and Bannock to spur that area. That will be when things really get exciting. I haven't heard anything regarding that in quite a while, but the parking garage was built so there appears to be some real motivation behind it. Anyone know anything?

Old Posted Nov 4, 2010, 12:08 PM
Dare Mighty Things

Thank god Idaho voted for the airport amendment... now we can see some direly needed airport expansion in the near future, including but not limited to runway extensions/improvements, new taxiways, funding for improved cargo facilities and a sorely needed new parking garage.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2010, 2:46 PM
not a cynic

Boisecynic welcomes the Henry's project but is somewhat unimpressed. Typical suburban style box stores. It appears all of these were existing buildings. Does anyone know if the Boise project is their first build-from-scratch job? Regardless, a central-business-district pedestrian-scene store seems to be a first for them. I wish them best of luck.

Newest Henry's, Elk Grove, Ca, Open May 2010: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...05407&t=h&z=18

Most comparable and most urban, Pacific Beach is very similar to the North End: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...05407&t=h&z=18

Also urban, SD's Normal Heights neigborhood: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...05407&t=h&z=18

Austin: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...05407&t=h&z=18

Poway: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...,5.05,,0,17.59

Carlsbad: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...,75.64,,1,3.39

Carlsbad2 http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...122.15,,0,1.07

Santee: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...,0.021629&z=16

Chino Hills: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...,0.005407&z=18

Corpus Christi: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...78412&t=h&z=17

Last edited by boisecynic; Nov 4, 2010 at 3:19 PM.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2010, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatKidFromBoise View Post
Thank god Idaho voted for the airport amendment... now we can see some direly needed airport expansion in the near future, including but not limited to runway extensions/improvements, new taxiways, funding for improved cargo facilities and a sorely needed new parking garage.
I am happy this passed. I bet there is a short bald chubby man in Boise who likes to put a wrench into progress and he is most likely very upset

Old Posted Nov 4, 2010, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonwood View Post
I am happy this passed. I bet there is a short bald chubby man in Boise who likes to put a wrench into progress and he is most likely very upset
Ha! Frazier can suck it!

If he is opposed to it, it's most likely a good idea.

I'm glad all those ballot measures passed, these are things that get to costly to arrange as a vote, have low turnout, and have to contend with that archaic 2/3 majority crap.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2010, 4:07 PM

Does anyone know what used to be on that lot where Henry's is going to be built? It has been vacant as long as I can remember.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West