HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum.

Since 1999, SkyscraperPage.com's forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web.  The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics.  SkyscraperPage.com also features unique skyscraper diagrams, a database of construction activity, and publishes popular skyscraper posters.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Mar 4, 2012, 5:26 PM
Dare Mighty Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pragmatic View Post
First, since this is my first post since joining, let me say hello and thanks for keeping the interest in Boise's growth alive and focused on substance.

Affordable housing downtown is simply not possible given the cost of construction. The only way it is ever going to happen is if it is subsidized. Condos are dead from a financing standpoint and the cost to build vertical is prohibitive. Type V over Type 1 was supposed to be the path to affordability, but it has not worked. The alternative is to locate density around the edges of the downtown core and provide public transportation that is intelligently planned and truly functional.
Hello Mr. Pragmatic, welcome to SSP! It's always great to hear from new forumers. I personally don't have enough knowledge on the matter to have an informed opinion, but I was just curious if you work in this field because you sound pretty knowledgable on it.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2012, 6:56 PM

a bit of history

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseAirport View Post
Hello Mr. Pragmatic, welcome to SSP! It's always great to hear from new forumers. I personally don't have enough knowledge on the matter to have an informed opinion, but I was just curious if you work in this field because you sound pretty knowledgable on it.
Thanks for the welcome! I do have recent history in both downtown and infill housing projects for some time. There is a reason people gasp at the prices and why most of the projects have either been taken over by the lender or off-loaded with auctions. When your market is so used to price-per-square foot it is very difficult to break that mind-set. The more people who move here from major metropolitan areas, the more acceptable the pricing structure will become. With construction to current codes and the cost of getting through the entitlement process, especially with an infill project, the cost per square foot is considerably more than it would be if you were just going to plow up another 10 acres of beets west of Boise.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2012, 7:12 PM

Welcome to SSP Mr. Pragmatic. We needed someone like you here! I'm very excited to read what you have to say on current, and future developments.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2012, 7:30 PM

Reality...

If anyone really wants to understand the difficulty of infill development, spend some time going the through the Documents section of the 5B Sawtooth application for apartments on Parkcenter. http://pdsonline.cityofboise.org/pdsonline/details.aspx?id=PUD11-00005 Unfortunately, ACHD in their infinite wisdom has elected to ignore the traffic nightmare that lies ahead. Boise City has the ability but probably not the political will, to solve the problems presented by this proposed project. If you end up going to the Friends of Loggers Creek site, be sure and watch the video. The heron/fish encounter at the end is great.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekkerguy View Post
My problem with this is that there is already so little affordable housing in downtown Boise... they really need multiple buildings focusing solely on that aspect of housing to help bolster the amount of working young people in downtown Boise who also seek out their culture and entertainment there. Otherwise... it's off to Boise Towne Square because that's more accessible to all the other affordable housing.
There are proposals for large apartment complexes across the river from downtown near BSU which can help fill that gap. I feel that large lot at Idaho/Bannock and 16th would be perfect for affordable apartments. I assume, maybe I am wrong, that the young working class who don't live near downtown and happen to live out in west Boise still come downtown for their entertainment, if downtown is their scene. (Some of them may be more of the TGI Fridays crowd and the chain restaurants near BTS are their scene).
Downtown has been pretty busy recently (as it usually is), especially at nights and weekends...it is almost impossible to get into a restaurant without reservations and even then there is a wait. More young professionals living in the downtown area is always going to be a positive. Downtown has an impressive selection of restaurants, retail, etc...but imagine what more we could have if there were a larger number of young pro's living in downtown.

also..
Work has commenced inside of the old Macy's building. Hopefully renderings are released soon.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonwood View Post
http://www.idahostatesman.com/2012/0...orylink=latest
It’s official: 10 Barrel Brewing to open brewpub at 9th and Bannock this summer
By Patrick Orr Idaho Statesman
Published: 01/03/12

The new year brings good news for Treasure Valley craft beer lovers — Bend-based 10 Barrel Brewing will open a new brewpub in Downtown Boise next summer.
The owners of 10 Barrel Brewing had been talking with State of Idaho officials for several months about leasing a building at 9th and Bannock streets owned by the Department of Lands.
10 Barrel owners signed the lease last month and work is expected to begin soon to retrofit the building for a brewing system and restaurant equipment. The work is expected to be completed by summer.

“Joining an up and coming brew scene in Boise will allow me to really showcase my talents in front of a larger audience,” Kelso said in a press release issued by 10 Barrel Brewing Monday to formally announce the opening of the Boise brewpub.
10 Barrel partner Garret Wales told the Idaho Statesman in September that he and the rest of the company have been looking at the Boise market for a while and feel the city would be a good fit.

Read more here: http://www.idahostatesman.com/2012/0...#storylink=cpy

Barbara Barbara & Co ladies store has moved across the street on Bannock and when I went by this building at Bannock and 9th it appears demo work has started inside for the new brew pub

Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 8:19 PM

More beer...what's not to like about that!

Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pragmatic View Post
More beer...what's not to like about that!

Welcome to the SSP party Mr. Pragmatic

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 3:23 AM

OMG I WANT BEER NOW! Lol i haven't had beer since what like 2 weeks before the Superbowl . Heck we all should totally get together at the new taphouse when it opens or something like that.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
OMG I WANT BEER NOW! Lol i haven't had beer since what like 2 weeks before the Superbowl . Heck we all should totally get together at the new taphouse when it opens or something like that.

Sounds likes something to plan on in the near future. I do not think there has ever been an official Boise SSP meetup.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 9:36 PM

Well then here's our chance! someone should take the lead and plan a meetup.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 10:11 PM
Dare Mighty Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonwood View Post
Sounds likes something to plan on in the near future. I do not think there has ever been an official Boise SSP meetup.
There was once that I know of, long long ago back in early 2006, IIRC. I was unfortunately unable to attend, but if I remember right jard, Boizean, and Boisebro were among the attendees. I think someone even posted a photo from the meetup.

I would definitely be up for an SSP meetup! Maybe we could get together for the Zions Bank groundbreaking ceremony (though it's a bit short notice at this point). Too bad it's not in July after I turn 21.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseairport View Post
there was once that i know of, long long ago back in early 2006, iirc. I was unfortunately unable to attend, but if i remember right jard, boizean, and boisebro were among the attendees. I think someone even posted a photo from the meetup.

I would definitely be up for an ssp meetup! Maybe we could get together for the zions bank groundbreaking ceremony (though it's a bit short notice at this point). Too bad it's not in july after i turn 21. :p
hurry up and turn 21 then!!! Lol

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseAirport View Post
There was once that I know of, long long ago back in early 2006, IIRC. I was unfortunately unable to attend, but if I remember right jard, Boizean, and Boisebro were among the attendees. I think someone even posted a photo from the meetup.

I would definitely be up for an SSP meetup! Maybe we could get together for the Zions Bank groundbreaking ceremony (though it's a bit short notice at this point). Too bad it's not in July after I turn 21.

Hawk, are you over 21?

BoiseAirport and those under 21, we can meet at Chucky Cheese lol, or after your 21st B-Day we could have a meet at the Spearmint Rhino.

Just joking

Someone should get the ball rolling on a plan.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 11:36 PM
Seahawks RULE!!!

I was at that meet way back in early 2006 .

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 11:52 PM

Yes i am Cottonwood lol I'm 22...lol sory cottonwood ha i'm not big on those gentlemen's clubs lol anything else maybe haha and how bout for the lil kids on ssp lol boise airport included we meet somewhere like Hydepark Pub & Grill

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
Yes i am Cottonwood lol I'm 22...lol sory cottonwood ha i'm not big on those gentlemen's clubs lol anything else maybe haha

Throw out some ideas and lets see what the response is like. btw, I hope you realized I was just being silly about the gentlemen's club.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 12:01 AM

i figured you were lol, hmm...so hyde park P&G, Taphouse (for the adults), PArilla grill in hydepark or however you spell it, the new Costa Vida restaurant on 8th and main, um... come on lol help me out!

i'm thinkin something not expensive but something that would be nice for lunch or dinner downtown or in hydepark. but definitely something where the grown ups can have a beer if they choose too.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 4:54 AM

I don't post all that often, but I read others' posts almost every day. I would definitely be down to meet up, but I'm in Moscow most of the year for school. If it happens that I'm Boise, I'd love it.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 5:52 AM

FWIW - you don't have to be 21 to get into any of the brew pubs...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West