HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. Welcome!

You are currently browsing as a guest. Register with the SkyscraperPage Forum and join this growing community of skyscraper enthusiasts. Registering has benefits such as fewer ads, the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Northeast

Old Posted Dec 24, 2005, 2:25 PM

Unhappy Phillies leaving Scranton-Wilkes-Barre?

I'm deleting this post which origially appeared in the Scranton/wilkes-Barre thread back in Feb. 2007and has no relevance within the Philly cluture/food/ etc. threads

Last edited by donybrx; Oct 28, 2007 at 12:09 AM.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2005, 2:35 PM
Old Fart Forumer

Discouraging news. Hopefully the Orioles or another team will step in. There's been other affiliates in the NE PA region before. My Dad became a Red Sox fan because their farm team played in Scranton while he was growing up. Who knows.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2005, 4:41 PM

That sets things in proper motion. Red Barons to Allentown. Phillies to Scranton. Philadelphia is given an actual major league team.

Phillies are a disaster. Turning your back on a region that you've dealt with for the past 20 years is just wrong, but I would expect nothing less from Dave Montgomery and the pathetic Phillies organization. I feel bad for the young kids of SWB who lose the only team they've ever known.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2005, 5:20 PM
Monomania w/ Skyscrapers

If it's any consolation as Palms echoed, the Phillies are a disgrace & they aren't going to win anything in a very long long time. So Scranton you aren't missing much!

Old Posted Dec 24, 2005, 6:02 PM
Eurosceptic

I do not want to see the Ottawa club move to SWB. Baseball in Canada has been declining... and many of its minor league clubs have disappeared. It would be sad to see Ottawa go.

However, I would like to see the Pittsburgh Pirates relocate their AAA franchise from Indianapolis to SWB. We already have the Baby Pens over there.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2005, 6:15 PM
Most Trusted

Minor league teams move around all the time. You guys overrecat, WAY TOO MUCH.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2005, 6:33 PM
We're Still #5!!!

Scranton will get the Ottawa team...I don't know how they play baseball in Ottawa in April.

Teams change their minor league afflications all the time. This isn't the Phillies stabbing Scranton in the back....who is to say that Scranton still wants the Phillies there? I know during the 90's when the Phillies really sucked..that many in Scranton wished they had a different organization's prospects up there as the Phillies farm system was terrible from the late 80's to the late 90's.

It's a good move bringing the AAA team under a 2 hour drive from CBP (you know...that jewel of a park the "disgrace" of an organization had built and who is in the top 5 in payroll) because then if they need to make emergency callups...they aren't so far away. Scranton got the team from Oklahoma City in the 80's...so things change and a team will move their affliate there since the stadium is still fairly new (and wasn't it built with help from the Phillies?). The dimensions there were exactly the same as Veterans Stadiums.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2005, 7:00 PM

deleted

Last edited by donybrx; Oct 28, 2007 at 12:09 AM.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2005, 7:25 PM
We're Still #5!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by donybrx
I want a National League team there, pleaaaaze....
and, Lackawanna County stadium IS a gem...in great shape, large for a minorleague venue 12,000 I think,,that's bigger then the new Long Island Ducks venue by far.... serving a couple million market....
That's why I don't think Scranton will really lose a team. The stadium is nice and the market has proven to be able to support a local minor league team.

Also, it seems to be a trend for the major league team to put their farm teams close at hand. The Phillies have kept them close and the Flyers have probably the closest setup any professional team could have. The Phantoms practice in the same facility as the Flyers and they play across the parking lot. That's why I think Balamer would move it's AAA team closer.

The Phillies AAA team in the last 4 decades has gone from Eugene, Oregon...to Oklahoma City...to Scranton...and now it seems to Allentown.

Also...look how it will spark a local rivalry (Allentown vs Scranton) thereby boosting attendance and local revenues.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2005, 1:37 AM

deleted

Last edited by donybrx; Oct 28, 2007 at 12:10 AM.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2005, 5:02 PM
Monomania w/ Skyscrapers

Phillies are the Epitomy of Futility

I think it's fair game to call the Phillies a "disgrace" of an organization. Let me see - 123 seasons, only 1 world championship. The Phillies are the LOSINGEST team in professional sports HISTORY! They have a total of 8,831 games lost in their history. They hold the MLB record for most consecutive losses - 23 consecutive games lost. They've missed the playoffs for 12 years consecutively, and 21 out of the last 22 seasons.

Kudos to having the 5th largest payroll - They only play in the 4th largest market in the country? Their avergae price for ticket in 2004 was $26 which made them the 3rd pricest ticket in MLB - directly contributing to that 5th largest payroll. Do they ever make the big moves at the trading deadline? I dunno, my Philly heart has pretty much soured on this pathetic sports team - not much reason for hope?

Fans of Philly have voiced their discontent with this loser organization this past season. They've lost almost 6,000 season ticket holders this past season, from 23,700 to 18,000 in a season were they had a winning record. Total Attendance dropped of by 600,000 compared to 2004 total of 3.25 million. All this despite a new field that was constructed incorrectly. <---- Only in Philly could that happen! I could go on and on.....

Scranton, really are you gonna miss this???

Last edited by phillyskyline; Dec 25, 2005 at 5:34 PM.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2005, 6:14 PM
joining the rail club

i think Harrisburg was in the bid for Ottawa as well...but the fan base of the Senators is pretty dedicated (especially since they switched their affiliation to the Nationals), so i don't think the city will be taking the chance on getting rid of them just to attract a International League team. S/WB may lose their affiliation with the Phillies, but they will pick up another MLB team.

let's face it, Baltimore has been looking at moving their Ottawa team for years now. i think they will ultimately end up in PA...the same with the Washington Nationals with their team in New Orleans...was in New Orleans RIP! it's just more marketable and economical to have your first line minor league team nearby. i agree with Evergrey...S/WB would be a great location to relocate Pittsburgh's AAA team. there are only three markets in PA that could really support AAA teams...and now two of them have/will have them.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2005, 2:58 PM
furified freestyle

frankie, if it was the reading phillies that were moving, i'd bet my salary that you'd be singing a different tune. there is loyalty in them there coal towns. they're only moving down the road to allentown, but it's still kinda sad for the wilkes-barre area. on the other hand, this could forge a better bond between the lehigh valley and philly area -- there doesn't seem to be much of one now, so if the phillies can be used as guinea pigs, they'll at least be put to good use for SOMEthing.

agree with palms: david montgomery, mike arbuckle and cohorts (including ed wade) are the reason the phillies are the phillies. and we the fans are the ones who suffer.

as an aside, i wish the phils could incorporate camden into their system. do we really need a single A team in suburban buffalo? can't we move them into campbell's field so that we have a phillies affiliate using that beautiful ballpark right across the river?

Old Posted Dec 26, 2005, 5:53 PM
Gainfully Employed

Minor League teams are just franchises, to be bought and sold by anyone who wants them. The Major League team has no ownership or say to whom they are sold or where they are located.

The Wilmington Blue Rocks were affiliated with the Kansas City Royals since they began playing in 1993, but their owner, Minker, sold the franchise and brought a Red Sox franchise into town last year. He stated that he wanted a team that was geographically closer to give some connection, but it's just minor league ball so who really cares? The attendance is still the highest in A ball, but the uniforms are a little different. Wilkes-Barre is getting another team anyway.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2005, 6:41 PM
Most Trusted

Quote:
Originally Posted by giovanni sasso
frankie, if it was the reading phillies that were moving, i'd bet my salary that you'd be singing a different tune. there is loyalty in them there coal towns. they're only moving down the road to allentown, but it's still kinda sad for the wilkes-barre area. on the other hand, this could forge a better bond between the lehigh valley and philly area -- there doesn't seem to be much of one now, so if the phillies can be used as guinea pigs, they'll at least be put to good use for SOMEthing.
The situations of both teams are certainly different, such that it would be unlikely that the Reading Phillies are unlikely to move from the cash cow that is their current situtation. Craig Stein would be stupid to move from one of hte most reliable AA bases in the country, making dollar upon dollar. Scranton most certainly had a different situation for its AAA status, and would have needed more support from the governments around them, which is something I don't necessarily support anyway. So, moving is probably better, and we will probably hear within the year about the Orioles or Mets or somebody probably moving a team into Scranton. As mglan just said, minor league franchises are cash cows first, player development pods second, and teams third. If the first two aren't happening, changes are made. If/When that times comes, the Reading Phillies will be moved or turned over, but the current situation doesn't deem it so.

phillyskyline - Look at Mr. Negative.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2005, 7:21 PM
We're Still #5!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by giovanni sasso

agree with palms: david montgomery, mike arbuckle and cohorts (including ed wade) are the reason the phillies are the phillies. and we the fans are the ones who suffer.

as an aside, i wish the phils could incorporate camden into their system. do we really need a single A team in suburban buffalo? can't we move them into campbell's field so that we have a phillies affiliate using that beautiful ballpark right across the river?
The Phillies have an A club in Lakewood, New Jersey

Old Posted Dec 27, 2005, 1:41 PM

deleted

Last edited by donybrx; Oct 28, 2007 at 12:10 AM.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2005, 9:36 PM
samsonyuen

That's too bad. Bad for Ottawa too!

Old Posted Jan 2, 2006, 12:49 AM
Lets Go Mets 2009 !!!

Scranton-Wilkes Barre can always do what they did up in Rochester back when they were about to lose their AAA franchise when St. Louis was gonna leave town. The people got together and bought the franchise and now with thousands of local shareholders there will always be a team in Rochester. They have a board of trustees that work with major league franchises and negotiate who they want to be the farm club for. Forever it was the Orioles that furnished the Red Wings with players but recently the Red Wings dropped Baltimore as their Parent Club and joined in with the Twins organization because Rochester was getting sick of losing with Baltimore. Rochester has been the Red Wings since the 1920's and have only had 3 parent clubs, something thats unheard of with most minor league teams. Local ownership is the way to go.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2006, 12:45 PM
samsonyuen

Are the S/W-B Phillies for sale, though?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Northeast