HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. Welcome!

You are currently browsing as a guest. Register with the SkyscraperPage Forum and join this growing community of skyscraper enthusiasts. Registering has benefits such as fewer ads, the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 7:27 PM
ARTchitecture

Canadian City Proposals

The last page just maxed out to 10 000! Time for a new one! Been happening a lot lately!

I'll start it out with my personal favorite fully-formed proposals in each major city.

Toronto:

One Yonge

Montreal:

750 - 600 Peel

Vancouver:

Vancouver House

Calgary:

Eau Claire Redevelopment

Ottawa:

Dow Honda Site

Edmonton:

Arena District

Quebec City:

No idea of any large proposals in QC unfortunately

Winnipeg:

Skycity Centre

Hamilton:

Connaught Redevelopment

Whenever you find yourself doubting how far you can go, just remember how far you have come. Remember everything you have faced, all the battles you have won & all the fears you have overcome. — Unknown

Last edited by Chadillaccc; Mar 21, 2014 at 7:39 PM.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 7:38 PM

Nice job Chad. In Montreal, that would be 750 Peel - 600 Peel will be 3 condos towers one block south of that render you posted.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 7:40 PM
ARTchitecture

Thanks! Corrected. Do you know of any large projects in Quebec City that are proposed? I don't think I do.

Whenever you find yourself doubting how far you can go, just remember how far you have come. Remember everything you have faced, all the battles you have won & all the fears you have overcome. — Unknown

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 8:27 PM
Riki beach

Le 3000 Laurier in Ste-Foy is probably my favorite at the moment.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 10:26 PM

There will be a public access to the underground network (RÉSO) on Saint-Jacques Street. 750 Peel.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 10:30 PM
Majestic

IMO

Edmonton's the one to watch this cycle.

Flickr

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 10:40 PM

The Arena District is technically under construction right now, though not the entire thing obviously. As far as an interesting proposal, I'm still hoping 102 St Centre (Manulife II) gets built.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 11:15 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian

The Hamilton one two other towers planned with it.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2014, 4:23 AM

Old Posted Mar 22, 2014, 4:59 AM

Projet QB - Québec city, by Ivanhoé-Cambridge

1x5fl. + 1x9fl. + 1x10fl. + 1x15fl.

Video Link

For those who can read french :

http://www.ivanhoecambridge.com/fr-c...4/02/projet-qb

Old Posted Mar 22, 2014, 5:05 AM

900 de Maisonneuve Ouest, Montréal, by Ivanhoé Cambridge.

Video Link

Old Posted Mar 22, 2014, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris2k7 View Post
IMO

Edmonton's the one to watch this cycle.
After living in Calgary for most of my life and now having spent a few years in Edmonton I would have to agree. Calgary will keep humming along, even see more development in height and numbers than Edmonton. But in terms of change and a sense of coming into its own, Edmonton seems the most interesting to watch right now, especially since it is largely forgotten/ignored by much of the country. I'm biased though I suppose. I've lurked here long enough that I know I should avoid excessive boosterism...but I've discovered in the last two years that there is a lot more to Edmonton than people, especially my fellow Calgarians usually give credit for. While I do miss Calgary sometimes...Edmonton's downtown is evolving in a distinctly different direction compared to its southern sibling and as an urban nerd I'm really interested to see the character both cities develop. I think Calgary is farther along and more easily defined, but there is a certain wildcard vibe in Edmonton. It is just figuring itself out. While it's taking a bit longer than Calgary, Edmonton is learning how to assert itself and in terms of both urban development and culture, it's potential is vastly underestimated.

On a less local note, it's really nice to see some great stuff in much of the country in terms of city development. It wasn't long ago that most of these proposals would be less than fantasy.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2014, 8:43 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

^Great first post.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2014, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yegger View Post
After living in Calgary for most of my life and now having spent a few years in Edmonton I would have to agree. Calgary will keep humming along, even see more development in height and numbers than Edmonton. But in terms of change and a sense of coming into its own, Edmonton seems the most interesting to watch right now, especially since it is largely forgotten/ignored by much of the country. I'm biased though I suppose. I've lurked here long enough that I know I should avoid excessive boosterism...but I've discovered in the last two years that there is a lot more to Edmonton than people, especially my fellow Calgarians usually give credit for. While I do miss Calgary sometimes...Edmonton's downtown is evolving in a distinctly different direction compared to its southern sibling and as an urban nerd I'm really interested to see the character both cities develop. I think Calgary is farther along and more easily defined, but there is a certain wildcard vibe in Edmonton. It is just figuring itself out. While it's taking a bit longer than Calgary, Edmonton is learning how to assert itself and in terms of both urban development and culture, it's potential is vastly underestimated.

On a less local note, it's really nice to see some great stuff in much of the country in terms of city development. It wasn't long ago that most of these proposals would be less than fantasy.
That was 5 to 10 years ago.

Good first post

Good post period!

Last edited by Black Star; Mar 22, 2014 at 9:26 PM.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2014, 12:14 AM

London, Ontario - Approximately same height as One London Place, 33 stories

Old Posted Mar 23, 2014, 1:05 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Cadillac Fairview to restore Windsor Station as part of Montreal project

Quote:
n addition to two buildings under construction – the 50-storey Tour des Canadiens residential edifice and the 26-storey Deloitte Tower – the project will include five residential buildings and two office towers, the company said on Friday.

Salvatore Iacono, Cadillac Fairview senior vice-president of development and portfolio management for Eastern Canada, said the project – called Quad Windsor – will “completely transform the downtown core, creating a new district that offers a modern, state-of-the-art place to work and live.”

When completed in about 15 years, Quad Windsor will boast a total of more than four million square feet, he said.
There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know. -Donald Rumsfeld
Didn't you notice on the plane when you started talking, eventually I started reading the vomit bag?

Old Posted Mar 23, 2014, 6:35 AM

Haha thx! I was a bit nervous because sometimes posts on here become a big argument and I wasn't trying to piss anybody off. Nice to be received kindly

Blackstar, regarding Edmonton being ignored, it's hard for me to comment too much, but I still kind of feel Edmonton is under the radar. It doesn't have the boomtown dynamic reputation of Calgary, but it also isn't the national capital. In terms of those three 1.2-1.5 mil cities it's kind of that other one nobody seems to mention. It has gotten better but it still doesn't get as much attention as it might. If I dare comment on another Edmonton Calgary difference- I always felt growing up that Calgary craved national, even international attention. I thought this was normal, but comparatively, people in Edmonton just don't care. It's a bit liberating being in a place that doesn't seem to feel the need to prove itself constantly. At the same time though, Edmonton could learn a bit from Calgary's civic confidence. I feel like this place doesn't sell itself hard enough, but that may just be a boisterous Calgarian talking

I don't mean to sidetrack this into an Edmonton Calgary thing, just having lived in both cities I spent a silly amount of time pondering over their relationship, similarities, and differences. I think I'm still trying to dissect how a once loyal Edmonton hating Calgarian has fallen for a place I was raised to despise. I wish the two cities could make up though...together they gave a lot going on, just pride seems to block them from admitting that the other does something better.

Last edited by Yegger; Mar 23, 2014 at 6:37 AM. Reason: Wrong thread.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2014, 7:53 AM

Sorry Black Star, I have to agree in full with Yegger on this one. We are constantly ignored and underestimated on the national stage. I've had arguments with people on this forum (different subforum though) who thought Edmonton was in the same tier with smaller cities like Halifax. Obviously population isn't everything, but it does count for something, not to mention the economic might of Edmonton and the oodles of opportunities. But I guess in a way it's not that surprising, based on how often Edmonton seems to come up, most would be lead to believe it is in a tier with smaller centres and the impression is that Calgary is much bigger, when it isn't.

I personally find it frustrating. Even in casual conversation, the go-to Alberta example 99% of the time is Calgary. In city comparisons, Calgary comes up so often, whereas Edmonton is rarely mentioned. On the national news, a story from Edmonton will end with someone reporting live from Calgary (I'm looking at you, CTV).

While yes in a way it's nice to see the "I don't give a fuck attitude" on occasion, I find in most cases it's more a case of genuine self-loathing or believing the stereotypes or whatever. We also suffer from a large contingent who live beyond the ring road and complain about how boring Edmonton is, but never visit downtown or other inner areas. These same people will hit up 17th in Calgary, Granville Island in Vancouver, and St-Catherine Street in Montreal. I do agree that we could learn a thing or two from Calgary's boosterism.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2014, 12:39 PM

I have been to Edmonton and I have been to Calgary in summer 2011. Their is one major difference. the amount of people in the inner city. I'm probably way off as I went to Calgary during the stampede so I don't know about that. Also now the new arena will be in downtown so that may make it more lively on occasions. Anyways when I went to Calgary their was a lot of people downtown. I didn't for a whole day so I saw it for a few hours because my hotel was in Lake Louise. During that time in Calgary it seemed so lively and this area was right next to a surface parking lot. While in Edmonton I stayed for 2 nights their because we got a good deal at the coast Edmonton house. The downtown was dead basically the whole time. For me it seemed like the West Edmonton Mall area was actually the more lively area. Well in 3 years it might have changed I don't know.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2014, 12:54 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ue View Post
Sorry Black Star, I have to agree in full with Yegger on this one. We are constantly ignored and underestimated on the national stage. I've had arguments with people on this forum (different subforum though) who thought Edmonton was in the same tier with smaller cities like Halifax. Obviously population isn't everything, but it does count for something, not to mention the economic might of Edmonton and the oodles of opportunities. But I guess in a way it's not that surprising, based on how often Edmonton seems to come up, most would be lead to believe it is in a tier with smaller centres and the impression is that Calgary is much bigger, when it isn't.

I personally find it frustrating. Even in casual conversation, the go-to Alberta example 99% of the time is Calgary. In city comparisons, Calgary comes up so often, whereas Edmonton is rarely mentioned. On the national news, a story from Edmonton will end with someone reporting live from Calgary (I'm looking at you, CTV).

While yes in a way it's nice to see the "I don't give a fuck attitude" on occasion, I find in most cases it's more a case of genuine self-loathing or believing the stereotypes or whatever. We also suffer from a large contingent who live beyond the ring road and complain about how boring Edmonton is, but never visit downtown or other inner areas. These same people will hit up 17th in Calgary, Granville Island in Vancouver, and St-Catherine Street in Montreal. I do agree that we could learn a thing or two from Calgary's boosterism.
People talk about Montreal/Vancouver/Toronto the most and for good reason and yes Edmonton ignored and underestimated but you can say the same about Ottawa and a couple other citys just a exzample there is a Granville Island type project in devlopement yet most outside of Ottawa have no idea about it this is one very exciting project that should get more attnetion then its getting.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada