HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. Welcome!

You are currently browsing as a guest. Register with the SkyscraperPage Forum and join this growing community of skyscraper enthusiasts. Registering has benefits such as fewer ads, the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 3, 2006, 7:38 PM

Well actualy malek, the Junos aren't at all what the Gemenis and Genies are. Furthermore, the Junos are pumped by CTV and their fucking stupid flagship pretend "national" entertainment show: E-talk. Big crowds, big stars, big ratings I'm sure, I still don't give a cock-suck.
Althegreat III, Torch Baron of the island of Montreal. Head of the Commonwealth of idiots, absolute ruler of the Shredberger foundation and devoted screw-up. If you can't stand the Baron, you can't stand the heat. Remember that.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2006, 11:27 PM

Alot of people actually complain that the Junos are too commericial and directed towards already established bands like Nickelback and Sum 41, rather than the "arty-farty" music acts like Broken Social Scene, The Stars, etc

Old Posted Apr 4, 2006, 12:08 AM
DRINK

How could I possible respect an award show where Michael Buble cleans up....

Thank god Fox/Showcase has a wicked Sunday night line-up so I'm not stuck watching that crap.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2006, 12:49 AM
effete latte-lifter

The Juno nominations are determined by sales, not by atistic merit, that is why the same shitty shit keeps coming up again and again, and 4 Canadian idol whores were nominated.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2006, 3:45 AM
DRINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwhit
The Juno nominations are determined by sales, not by atistic merit, that is why the same shitty shit keeps coming up again and again, and 4 Canadian idol whores were nominated.
That sounds so ummmm Canadian?... Lets not create a controversy so nominations are based on a measurable statistics.

There were only two bands on the entire list of winners that I have any interest in and one of those hasn't put out a CD that I have enjoyed for about 15 years.

And seriously, Pamala Anderson?? Who's brilliant idea was that. I heard a sound clip on the radio about her saying how great it is that bands like coldplay and BEP's are Canadian.

I would have loved to have been in the boardroom when that call was made.
guy one:"It looks like some guy who's CD's will only be found in a 50 year olds collection could sweep this thing, how do we get youth to watch?"
guy two: "that Baywatch chick is from Vancouver right?"

I'll take some teeny bopper show with Gwen Stefanie and Beyonce over that shit any day of the week.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2006, 2:52 PM

Anyone planning on seeing The Rocket this weekend (aka Maurice Richard in Quebec)? I know there is quite a bit of hype about it and its opening in a really wide release for a Canadian flick, and the timing is pretty much as good as it gets for Hockey fans.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2006, 4:45 PM
BANNED

CRAZY is now playing on 35 screens in the UK.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2006, 5:11 PM

REally? Interesting?

Not a Canadian movie, but I saw Cronenberg's A History of Violence last week. Hated it, very, very disappointing.

I Don't know why the Canadian media (E-Talk) is claiming it to be Canadian. Besides it was a failure at the B.O. so there's not that shallow glory to claim. Very ordinary, run of a mill movie. No innovation, bad acting and poor development.

Now the Rocket isn't a very good example of storytelling on celluloid, but it's a great movie in a cinematographic way. Good shots, great editing.
Althegreat III, Torch Baron of the island of Montreal. Head of the Commonwealth of idiots, absolute ruler of the Shredberger foundation and devoted screw-up. If you can't stand the Baron, you can't stand the heat. Remember that.

Last edited by althegreat III; Apr 22, 2006 at 5:38 PM.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2006, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by althegreat II
REally? Interesting?

Not a Canadian movie, but I saw Cronenberg's A History of Violence last week. Hated it, very, very disappointing.

I Don't know why the Canadian media (E-Talk) is claiming it to be Canadian. Besides it was a failure at the B.O. so there's not that shallow glory to claim. Very ordinary, run of a mill movie. No innovation, bad acting and poor development.

Now the Rocket isn't a very good example of storytelling on celluloid, but it's a great movie in a cinematographic way. Good shots, great editing.

A History of Violence is a great movie.

It was filmed in Canada by a Canadian director, so it is Canadian in at least some sense.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2006, 10:27 PM

It was partly shot in Canada, by a director that had to get funding in the States to make the movie. The script was written by an American and the content is American. The actors were American so were most of the crew.

James Cameron is Canadian, his movies aren't. Location and Director is not indicative of the country of Origin.

Truffaut's 1966 adaptation of Fahrenheit 451 may have partly been shot in France and be the result of a French film legend, but it is by no mean a French movie. Hell, half of Hollywood are foreigners.

I'm not saying that that's bad, and I'm not dissing Cronen, making film in Canada is a nerve-racking and disturbing exercise in patience and temper. I'd move down there as well to make my movies.

But nevertheless, A History of Violence is hardly a Canadian flick, of course I understand why we're all claiming credit, we'll claim credit at anything. Look at Paul Haggis, a Canadian who went south to have his career, and now we're all saying that Crash is somehow Canadian. Pff.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2006, 2:47 AM

Quote:
It was partly shot in Canada
From the looks of it, it was entirely shot in Canada.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0399146/locations

Old Posted Apr 23, 2006, 2:56 AM

whoopies. That's right, I had it confused with Egoyan's Where the Truth Lies. Still doesn't damage my argument.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2006, 7:35 PM

Quote:
It was partly shot in Canada, by a director that had to get funding in the States to make the movie. The script was written by an American and the content is American. The actors were American so were most of the crew.
As it's already been pointed out, I think it was filmed entirely in Canada.

Quote:
James Cameron is Canadian, his movies aren't. Location and Director is not indicative of the country of Origin.
James Cameron didn't direct the movie...

Quote:
But nevertheless, A History of Violence is hardly a Canadian flick, of course I understand why we're all claiming credit, we'll claim credit at anything. Look at Paul Haggis, a Canadian who went south to have his career, and now we're all saying that Crash is somehow Canadian. Pff.
Well, I didn't say it was a 100% Canadian production, just that it is "Canadian" in some sense. Cronenberg is most certainly a Canadian Director, not someone born here who left decades ago that we're now reclaiming.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2006, 12:29 AM

It was filmed in Canada, with a cast of mainly American actors, with a Canadian director. This was actually a US financed project as well, and Cronenberg acted as a gun for hire for this project, which is really rare for him. He generally likes to write, direct and produce his own projects, and arrange financing via Canadian and foreign sources. eXistenZ for example was financed by Telefilm Canada and foreign presales.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2006, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklehead2
Cronenberg acted as a gun for hire for this project, which is really rare for him.
Precisely, if this were to be an auteur piece, it would of been an other story.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2006, 6:30 PM
effete latte-lifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOtime
That sounds so ummmm Canadian?... Lets not create a controversy so nominations are based on a measurable statistics.

There were only two bands on the entire list of winners that I have any interest in and one of those hasn't put out a CD that I have enjoyed for about 15 years.

And seriously, Pamala Anderson?? Who's brilliant idea was that. I heard a sound clip on the radio about her saying how great it is that bands like coldplay and BEP's are Canadian.

I would have loved to have been in the boardroom when that call was made.
guy one:"It looks like some guy who's CD's will only be found in a 50 year olds collection could sweep this thing, how do we get youth to watch?"
guy two: "that Baywatch chick is from Vancouver right?"

I'll take some teeny bopper show with Gwen Stefanie and Beyonce over that shit any day of the week.
That's also largely the fault of having CTV, the biggest celebrity ball-lickers around producing the show itself. (I hear Kalen Porter has an open invitation for a hot stone massage from Ben Mulroney, (with a hollywood ending) good anytime.)

It's time for someone to take charge and start a Canadian version of the Mercury Prize with a corresponding concert for TV. Imagine what an awards show would have been like with Canadian artists that are actually good performing.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2006, 9:40 PM
choo choo

having been in Latin America for a little bit, I've been able to see quite a bit of Canadian influence down here (well it's not huge amounts, but I didn't think there was any).

Both Argentina and Colombia have their respective Much Music stations (I believe Mexico used to have Mucho as well). Bogota has CityTV which can be seen from other countries as well. I've seen several Canadian movies, and some shows like Degrassi can be seen regularily (on MTV!). Not to mention the Quebec telenovelas on TV5 (with French subtitles, haha).

Every once and awhile you'll be flicking through channels and you'll see that familiar Canada logo in the credits... sigh, makes me miss home.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2006, 4:25 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwhit
That's also largely the fault of having CTV, the biggest celebrity ball-lickers around producing the show itself. (I hear Kalen Porter has an open invitation for a hot stone massage from Ben Mulroney, (with a hollywood ending) good anytime.)
Ben Mulroney is the worlds biggest loser. Frankly, I am very embarrassed that he is a Canadian. He is the cheesiest, slimiest asslicker in showbusiness. You can even see the brown on his tongue when he sucks up to whatever pseudo-celebrity he is interviewing. His nervous little laughs make me want to kill someone. And I hate Tanya Kim too!

Son of the Chin, with a touch of Elvis thrown in.
There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know. -Donald Rumsfeld
Didn't you notice on the plane when you started talking, eventually I started reading the vomit bag?

Old Posted Apr 26, 2006, 5:26 PM
ruff

In my world, the only show Ben would be on would be Air Farce as the Chicken Canon target. In person, not that lousy picture crap.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2006, 10:14 PM

I saw The Rocket today. Not bad for a relatively low budget cdn flick ($8 mln) there were a few fake annoying intercut scenes that looked cheezy, and it dragged in parts, but overall a really top notch flick. I'd recommend to anyone..

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada