HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Nov 14, 2016, 5:22 PM

The Salt River Tribe has indicated that it will not be on the Tribe's land.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2016, 5:43 PM

McClintock/Rio Salado

Interesting choice. Not sure how I feel yet.

https://twitter.com/craigsmorgan/sta...18709206609920

Arena will be NW corner or Rio Salado/McClintock.

EDIT: Same commenter says there will be an adjacent 4000-seat ASU arena. Odd.

https://twitter.com/craigsmorgan/sta...19650127437824

Old Posted Nov 14, 2016, 5:47 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
Interesting choice. Not sure how I feel yet.

https://twitter.com/craigsmorgan/sta...18709206609920

Arena will be NW corner or Rio Salado/McClintock.

EDIT: Same commenter says there will be an adjacent 4000-seat ASU arena. Odd.

https://twitter.com/craigsmorgan/sta...19650127437824
That location may provide, along with the Cubs spring training facility in Mesa, more impetus to extend the Tempe Streetcar east of its currently planned terminus.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2016, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
That location may provide, along with the Cubs spring training facility in Mesa, more impetus to extend the Tempe Streetcar east of its currently planned terminus.
True. Proximity to TMP I'm sure is seen as a plus--they can hit the ground running with dining/drinking options. A full mile from light rail is too bad. Not impossible to make the walk, but doubt many people will do it. But like you say, maybe streetcar fills the gap. And hopefully the stadium can also be an impetus for finally getting something going at the Southbank sites as well.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2016, 5:52 PM

Love the location...but why is the arena not shared? Strange indeed. Hopefully this speeds up any announcement about future of WFA

On 2nd thought, the Coyotes need a practice facility and I think that's what the 4K seat arena will be for. ASU Hockey would be sharing that building or vice versa?

Old Posted Nov 14, 2016, 6:01 PM

More Hockey Details

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sport...empe/93784410/

Quote:
The Arizona Coyotes could become one of the first tenants in Arizona State's Athletic Facilities District.

IceArizona Holdings, the company that owns the NHL's Coyotes, is entering into a negotiating agreement with Catellus Development Corporation to create a development plan for approximately 58 acres in the ASU district. The proposed project would include a 16,000-seat arena for the Coyotes and attached 4,000-seat multi-use arena for ASU hockey and other sports, Coyotes practices plus youth hockey and community events.

Catellus, master developer for the district, and the Coyotes have until June 30, 2017, to create a budget, design and operational plan for the development, expected to include a hotel and mixed-use office space. The deal also will require finalizing a partnership with Tempe and other public sector constituents...

The 58 acres, out of 330 in the district, are at the northwest corner of McClintock Drive and Rio Salado Parkway, near the intersection of freeway loops 202 and 101 and across McClintock from Tempe Marketplace...

"As the first major partner for the ASU Athletic Facilities District, the Coyotes campus will set an exciting tone for this innovative urban corridor," said Greg Weaver, Catellus executive vice president...

The ASU hockey team, in its second varsity season, is playing a few home games at Gila River Arena and the rest at Oceanside Ice Arena, where it played as a club team. One is too large and the other too small, but a 4,000-seat venue would be a good fit for college hockey and Olympic sports.

ASU would pay for part of the construction and operating costs for the smaller arena and have naming rights. It also will brand the facility with ASU markings and signs like it has with Phoenix Municipal Stadium, now its baseball home.

Details are not yet available about how much the Coyotes would pay ASU in lieu of property tax, the way the district is designed to function to create revenue for athletic facilities.

The negotiating agreement between Catellus and the Coyotes does not require approval from the Arizona Board of Regents.
https://www.nhl.com/coyotes/news/coy...na/c-283720238

Quote:
The agreement provides for a period ending no later than June 30, 2017 to create the overall budget, design and operational plan for the development. The Coyotes will now focus on finalizing a partnership with other public sector constituents including the State and the City of Tempe.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2016, 6:11 PM

Okay good...so I was right. Practice facility for the Yotes...and ASU owns branding/naming rights for it. I love this, win/win for both parties and ASU Athletics District off to a great start! Hockey in Arizona will have a bright future.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2016, 6:52 PM

And here is the placeholder rendering from the NHL.com announcement:

Obviously it's very early but I wouldn't be mad if the arena looked like that.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2016, 10:01 PM

Listening to the press conference now. They're talking financing the stadium roughly ~50% Coyotes' money, some amount by ASU, and the rest in a TIF-style sales tax redirect. Will be interesting over the next few months to see if they can sell the public/legislature on the proposal.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2016, 10:43 PM

Quote:
And here is the placeholder rendering from the NHL.com announcement:

Obviously it's very early but I wouldn't be mad if the arena looked like that.
Hell yes! What a great looking rendering - the architecture reminds me of the College Avenue Commons.

I see this spurring Rio + Mill (now a greater need for the hotel portion) and the residential Pier & Villas at Southbank

Last edited by ASUSunDevil; Nov 15, 2016 at 2:06 AM.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2016, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
I like it, but as always skeptical until I see dirt move in Tempe. Good news is the continued job announcements in Downtown Tempe. Makes you wonder why 100 Mill can't get enough leases signed to break ground.

is 100 mill the proposed condo where Monti's is located? any more updates on that?

Old Posted Nov 15, 2016, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Listening to the press conference now. They're talking financing the stadium roughly ~50% Coyotes' money, some amount by ASU, and the rest in a TIF-style sales tax redirect. Will be interesting over the next few months to see if they can sell the public/legislature on the proposal.
I hope voters TELL big sports to fuck themselves - they can pay for 100% privately if this is what they need . . .

Old Posted Nov 15, 2016, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVINphx View Post
I hope voters TELL big sports to fuck themselves - they can pay for 100% privately if this is what they need . . .
Agreed. I am so tired of taxpayers getting stuck footing the bill for professional sports teams.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2016, 8:09 PM

7S parking lot closing Friday in anticipation of development.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2016, 9:18 PM

Quote:
7S parking lot closing Friday in anticipation of development.

what project is this?

Old Posted Nov 16, 2016, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
what project is this?
7S or 7th Street Mixed Use, the Opus project covering the block bounded by University/7th St/Forest/Myrtle.

https://www.tempe.gov/Home/ShowDocument?id=33098

Old Posted Nov 16, 2016, 10:01 PM

Quote:
7S or 7th Street Mixed Use, the Opus project covering the block bounded by University/7th St/Forest/Myrtle.

https://www.tempe.gov/Home/ShowDocument?id=33098
I thought this was dead

Old Posted Nov 17, 2016, 12:54 AM

Well that is excellent! I think that means they'll move quick. Otherwise, why wait this long and close the lot when you are going to miss out on parking revenue. Construction must be imminent.

Was this proposed in two phases?

Old Posted Nov 17, 2016, 2:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
Well that is excellent! I think that means they'll move quick. Otherwise, why wait this long and close the lot when you are going to miss out on parking revenue. Construction must be imminent.

Was this proposed in two phases?
Yes, I believe phase 1 is the hotel and the taller residential, and phase 2 is the shorter residential. As far as phasing goes, not too bad.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2016, 7:06 AM

The Grand at Papago

Not sure I've seen this video posted before. While I'll forever be pissed that the Cardinals stadium wasn't built on this site, The Grand is going to have an awesome presence once it's completed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zltn...ature=youtu.be

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest