SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manitoba & Saskatchewan (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Winnipeg City Transit/Rapid Transit (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126859)

The Jabroni Mar 12, 2009 9:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vid (Post 4136303)
No, it's the shady kids piling up at the front too!

Either way, shady kids are everywhere. :rolleyes:

...and Kinguni, I couldn't agree with you anymore. Those new sensors are awesome, but sometimes when you have a packed bus, people will be standing too close to the door when the bus stops over at a bus stop, and those doors open by "accident," and then wonder why the bus is not moving because they're standing too close to those sensors. I know you probably get frustrated sometimes, but you're not the only one when that happens. :)

Kinguni Mar 12, 2009 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Jabroni (Post 4136746)
I know you probably get frustrated sometimes, but you're not the only one when that happens. :)

Eh, I'm at a point where really nothing really bothers or phases me. Well, sort of. I usually have one thing kicking at me. Right now it's all the cars and trucks in the curb lane on eastbound Portage Ave. downtown during rush hour. 7 minutes given to me to get from Balmoral to Fort and it typically takes 11 or 12 minutes which is ridiculous.

vid Mar 13, 2009 12:30 PM

Imagine taking 12 minutes when you only have 7 just because traffic is normal. That's what it is like here with unrealistic timing points set up by a management that doesn't seem to know much about the system they run.

Kinguni Mar 13, 2009 2:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vid (Post 4137848)
Imagine taking 12 minutes when you only have 7 just because traffic is normal. That's what it is like here with unrealistic timing points set up by a management that doesn't seem to know much about the system they run.

We have stuff like that too. Imagine you're on a bus that terminates downtown and you need to transfer to another bus. Your bus pulls on to Portage Ave. and you see the bus you need just ahead pulling away from the stop, but because the bus you are on has a timing point right there the driver can't chase the other bus down to make your connection. He has to wait until the schedule says go, just in case someone was planning to catch that bus to go 4 stops up the road (when there's a bus through there going to the same place every few minutes).

Now, me, I'd chase that bus down anyways, but we do have inspectors that will write a driver up for leaving their last downtown timing point before the terminal early and a lot of drivers simply won't risk that.

1ajs Mar 13, 2009 2:55 PM

if ur polite enuff to the drivers they might just chase after that bus for u

or thats my experiance anyways

eemy Mar 13, 2009 4:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thegreattait (Post 4136009)
Products in use for mass public transportation need to be designed for all users, experienced yellow stripe pushers and unexperienced ones. I think it can be agreed that these yellow stripes work but that they are a poor design for the general public.

An opening mechanism should have a tactile response or a visual signal that the users action is producing a response in the machine.

Think of buttons in an elevator that you push, and how they light up letting people know they are working. The act of pushing it and feeling the button move lets the user know its working.

This was also the idea behind the blackberry storm's screen that pushes in and clicks ever so slightly indicating that the action took place.

Engineers need to be in touch with human nature and the expected responses we want out of our machines and devices. If you are going to design a product design it to serve humans in the most simple efficient and effective way possible. Don't make humans learn how to use the machine just because its finicky.

Man, that is advice a *lot* of companies should take. :tup:

viperred88 Mar 15, 2009 9:26 PM

Transit to test bike boxes

By ROSS ROMANIUK, SUN MEDIA

The city might be pedalling into a new era in its park-and-ride projects, encouraging cycling as well as bus use.

In the weeks ahead, Winnipeg Transit will begin testing two enclosed bicycle lockers -- free for public use -- and see whether cyclists jump aboard the concept of leaving their wheels in mid-trip to climb onto buses.

"It will be on a first-come, first-served basis," said Jonathan Borland, Transit's information supervisor. "If you're biking to work in the morning and it starts to rain or something, you can throw your bike in the locker and use your bike lock on it."

The metallic storage units, each holding two bicycles, will be available through the coming spring, summer and fall -- one at a Transit stop at St. Vital Centre and the other at Confusion Corner.

Each container has a barrier to keep bikes separate, and was built with a key system which Transit is altering to allow riders to use their own locks.

"Part of the reason that we're switching to a different kind of lock is that the one on there now is frozen," Borland said with a chuckle.

The four-foot-high units -- each costing Transit about $1,800 -- are being given a green light from at least one Winnipeg cycling expert even before they're available.

"The more of these contraptions they can put out there, the better," said Jean-Francois Ravenelle, president and general manager of Gord's Ski and Bike. "We sell lots of bikes to people whose No. 1 concern is, 'I want to do this but don't want my bike stolen.' "

Kinguni Mar 16, 2009 2:00 AM

Trouble is, what happens when you plan to use one of the 2 storage spots and they're both taken already? And $1800 for a big piece of plastic? Gotta be something better. Chain link lockup areas like CBC has, with keys available for a fee. Then lock your bike inside that. That would work.

LilZebra Mar 16, 2009 4:19 AM

Because it's government, it's gonna cost more than what the private sector can do.

And that Borland fella. I assume he's related to former Director of WT, Rick Borland.

rrskylar Mar 16, 2009 2:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimj_wpg (Post 4142384)
Because it's government, it's gonna cost more than what the private sector can do.

And that Borland fella. I assume he's related to former Director of WT, Rick Borland.

City of Winnipeg personnel dept. could easily change their name to Nepotism dept. so as not to confuse current employee's who probably have no clue as to what finding a job in the private sector is all about.

Kinguni Mar 16, 2009 3:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rrskylar (Post 4142817)
City of Winnipeg personnel dept. could easily change their name to Nepotism dept. so as not to confuse current employee's who probably have no clue as to what finding a job in the private sector is all about.

You are correct sir! :tup:

1ajs Mar 16, 2009 5:07 PM

anyone ever aplied to be a bus driver they make u do some bizzar aptitude test and somthing like 90% of people fail it?

Kinguni Mar 17, 2009 3:51 AM

Nothing strange about the aptitude test questions. It's all common sense, which a lot of people don't possess. It's actually a series of tests in 2 sessions, and then after that they actually put you behind the wheel and see if you have the aptitude to drive the bus. They lose around 50% each session.

spiritedenergy Mar 17, 2009 4:43 AM

I saw they put an electronic panel at Pembina and University, i guess it's a display of the incoming buses? That would be great, hopefully it will be expanded.

1ajs Mar 17, 2009 4:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kinguni (Post 4144214)
Nothing strange about the aptitude test questions. It's all common sense, which a lot of people don't possess. It's actually a series of tests in 2 sessions, and then after that they actually put you behind the wheel and see if you have the aptitude to drive the bus. They lose around 50% each session.

questions about what u do if a co worker asks u out thats a bizzar question to me

vid Mar 17, 2009 4:56 AM

I think that would be a pretty common question on job tests.

1ajs Mar 17, 2009 5:03 AM

wha? just seems like a bizzar question to me

vid Mar 17, 2009 5:12 AM

Well co-workers coming on to you is an issue in some places. I've seen bus drivers talk to each other before. They're unnecessarily frisky.

1ajs Mar 17, 2009 5:21 AM

i honestly have no idea how to answer a question like that my self its just bizzar

Kinguni Mar 17, 2009 2:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1ajs (Post 4144295)
questions about what u do if a co worker asks u out thats a bizzar question to me

That's a new one on me. Then again, it's been a long time since I went through the testing so I'm sure it's changed a little in the last 16 or 17 years. :koko: