SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manitoba & Saskatchewan (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Winnipeg | Portage and Main (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=235080)

Jets4Life Jul 28, 2018 5:46 PM

Winnipeg | Portage and Main

yay or nay?

Hecate Jul 28, 2018 6:19 PM

Would be neat to see this poll in the Canada thread. I Wonder what other Canadians think about this issue.

wags_in_the_peg Jul 28, 2018 7:59 PM

I disagree I think it’s a local question not a national one

dennis Jul 28, 2018 8:42 PM

^ah the Manitoba way. Close ourselves to the ideas and innovations offered by the rest of the country and the world.

Wpg_Guy Jul 28, 2018 9:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hecate (Post 8265079)
Would be neat to see this poll in the Canada thread. I Wonder what other Canadians think about this issue.

I agree, the majority will find this whole debate absurd.

Jets4Life Jul 28, 2018 9:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy (Post 8265186)
I agree, the majority will find this whole debate absurd.

You are correct.

The Jabroni Jul 29, 2018 7:28 AM

It shouldn't even be a question. Yet, here we are.

Ando Jul 29, 2018 1:35 PM

Unfortunately, instead of governing, Bowman has decided to take a poll to decide the issue.

bomberjet Jul 29, 2018 2:55 PM

^ Bowman stood firm for so long on this issue. Then bowed to pressure from Browaty. Disappointing.

I'd also like an explanation from the 2 people who voted no on. Wait, do I actually want to hear it? Probably not. Carry on.

Tacheguy Jul 29, 2018 2:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ando (Post 8265581)
Unfortunately, instead of governing, Bowman has decided to take a poll to decide the issue.

The part that frustrates me is that he already ran on this issue. He had a clear mandate.

Jets4Life Jul 29, 2018 9:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tacheguy (Post 8265611)
The part that frustrates me is that he already ran on this issue. He had a clear mandate.

Bowman needs a backbone. It will just be a waste of money to hold a vote on the issue.

DavefromSt.Vital Jul 30, 2018 12:41 AM

Parked in the Albert Street Parkade and walked to Shaw Park for a Goldeyes game. I can't imagine a tourist doing the same thing and not being confused about the blank outside of 201 Portage. Then bumped down the stairs in the outside access entrance to the underground walkway to find a large puddle of urine. Walked by the shuttered TD location to find a solitary security guy who followed us to the Richardson exit, where another security guy watched us. While the Richardson part of the underground has been nicely refreshed, everything else was memories of decades past and a bit spooky given that no one was there. All this at just after 6:00 on a Thursday afternoon.

Can't see status quo as the way to go.

Major renovations are needed throughout. On the surface, at the very least the crossing of Portage East should be restored. Every time I have stayed at the Fairmont and gone out at night I have ended up jaywalking across that part of the intersection. I can't imagine that I am the only one.

Wpg_Guy Jul 30, 2018 2:59 AM

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DjUONbhU4AAIi4S.jpg
@brent_bellamy
Hmmmm.....#PortageAndMain

buzzg Jul 30, 2018 3:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavefromSt.Vital (Post 8266090)
Parked in the Albert Street Parkade and walked to Shaw Park for a Goldeyes game. I can't imagine a tourist doing the same thing and not being confused about the blank outside of 201 Portage. Then bumped down the stairs in the outside access entrance to the underground walkway to find a large puddle of urine. Walked by the shuttered TD location to find a solitary security guy who followed us to the Richardson exit, where another security guy watched us. While the Richardson part of the underground has been nicely refreshed, everything else was memories of decades past and a bit spooky given that no one was there. All this at just after 6:00 on a Thursday afternoon.

Can't see status quo as the way to go.

Major renovations are needed throughout. On the surface, at the very least the crossing of Portage East should be restored. Every time I have stayed at the Fairmont and gone out at night I have ended up jaywalking across that part of the intersection. I can't imagine that I am the only one.

Please send this to the attention of your city councillor and our mayor, and share on your social media.

esquire Jul 30, 2018 3:25 AM

^ To Dave's point, if we end up having the barriers remain in place then good God the City needs to do something about that hideous bunker in front of 201 Portage. I don't know how they ever allowed such a terrible access point to the concourse to be built in the first place... it's narrow, inaccessible, ugly with its stark concrete, dark, dangerous from a CPTED perspective, hot in the summer and inevitably piss-smelling.

I don't think you could do any worse in terms of image for the concourse. It's horrible, literally as bad as it gets.

For those unfamiliar with it, here's a pic which accompanied a recent news story about a woman who was harassed in that very entrance.

Safety concerns underground have women calling for Portage and Main to be reopened

https://i.cbc.ca/1.4760610.153249393...-riediger.jpeg

Welcome to Winnipeg! Our Civic Motto: IDGAF
(At least in the winter you can't smell the piss as much)

http://downtownwinnipegbiz.com/wp-co...b-1024x683.jpg
source: downtownwinnipegbiz.com

GlassCity Jul 30, 2018 4:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy (Post 8266182)
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DjUONbhU4AAIi4S.jpg
@brent_bellamy
Hmmmm.....#PortageAndMain

You just know there are gonna be people looking at that second photo and thinking that's exactly what they don't want.

windypeg Jul 30, 2018 2:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esquire (Post 8266201)
^ To Dave's point, if we end up having the barriers remain in place then good God the City needs to do something about that hideous bunker in front of 201 Portage. I don't know how they ever allowed such a terrible access point to the concourse to be built in the first place... it's narrow, inaccessible, ugly with its stark concrete, dark, dangerous from a CPTED perspective, hot in the summer and inevitably piss-smelling.

I don't think you could do any worse in terms of image for the concourse. It's horrible, literally as bad as it gets.

For those unfamiliar with it, here's a pic which accompanied a recent news story about a woman who was harassed in that very entrance.

Safety concerns underground have women calling for Portage and Main to be reopened

https://i.cbc.ca/1.4760610.153249393...-riediger.jpeg

Welcome to Winnipeg! Our Civic Motto: IDGAF
(At least in the winter you can't smell the piss as much)

http://downtownwinnipegbiz.com/wp-co...b-1024x683.jpg
source: downtownwinnipegbiz.com

There's literally nothing there to indicate to a person that that's how you cross the street. How many tourists or newcomers to the city are going to think, "Oh! I get it, I must just walk down into this sketchy unmarked piss bunker to get where I'm going."

Motkaluk would be such a disaster if she gets in. No more transit improvements, no more AT, no more investment in downtown... right as we are about to drag our city kicking and screaming into the 21st century, we risk stalling again and spending at least another 4 years being decades behind every other major city in Canada ....

Jets4Life Jul 30, 2018 5:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by windypeg (Post 8266480)
There's literally nothing there to indicate to a person that that's how you cross the street. How many tourists or newcomers to the city are going to think, "Oh! I get it, I must just walk down into this sketchy unmarked piss bunker to get where I'm going."

Motkaluk would be such a disaster if she gets in. No more transit improvements, no more AT, no more investment in downtown... right as we are about to drag our city kicking and screaming into the 21st century, we risk stalling again and spending at least another 4 years being decades behind every other major city in Canada ....

Not to worry. Bowman will win. I cannot recall an incumbent mayor ever being defeated in Winnipeg.

cheswick Jul 30, 2018 5:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jets4Life (Post 8266700)
Not to worry. Bowman will win. I cannot recall an incumbent mayor ever being defeated in Winnipeg.

Last happened in 1956.

In terms of Bowman supporting the referendum. He obviously knew going in that it was passing. He had to make the choice of voting against it or for it. I guess he felt politically supporting it would make the most sense. It does take the wind out of his oppositions sails.

Wolf13 Jul 30, 2018 6:48 PM

I originally didn't want Bowman to win again, but chances are any strong opponent of his will be worse, with P+M staying closed being their primary calling card.