SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manitoba & Saskatchewan (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Winnipeg | True North Square | 86.9M | 77.8M | 25F | 17F | 22F | 17F | 19F | U/C (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=217327)

Cyro Sep 29, 2015 5:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biff (Post 7180936)
start a new development thread.

If posters like I'll add one while I'm online for a bit?

bomberjet Sep 29, 2015 5:25 PM

Who's the architect on that one?

bomberjet Sep 29, 2015 5:29 PM

What's up with that tiny surface parking lot? For people stopping in to get lotto tickets?

Cyro Sep 29, 2015 6:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bomberjet (Post 7181062)
What's up with that tiny surface parking lot? For people stopping in to get lotto tickets?

Yeah, maybe a new LC as well?

http://i.cbc.ca/1.3248692.1443545338...ies-new-hq.png
cbc

7.9 $ Million for the purchase of the building + adjacent parkade, 1st 5 floors to be reno'd + 5 floor addition constructed (70-80K sq ft) to existing street level parking lot..cost $66 Million. Top 10 floors to remain as is with current tenants..

Add

http://www.mbll.ca/sites/mbll_corpor...w-HO-5_400.png
mbll.ca

Biff Sep 29, 2015 6:22 PM

Quote:

Yeah, that parking lot is the most ridiculous thing I have seen as well as the park. How stupid. Lots of people were grumbling about that. Very early in design so lots of opportunity for change and pressure to change.

Overall I love the idea of all the new blood being further down Graham - it is such a great area. I still think something big will happen with the True North site so I feel that we can kill two birds (parking lots) with one stone.

Architect is Prairie - another surprise.

Simplicity Sep 29, 2015 6:32 PM

Today I feel orders of magnitude less cynical about our city and province.

Who in the hell would have thought that those charged with making this decision would have spurned the opportunity to bask in the goodwill associated with the Chipman family in favour of the exponentially less exciting prudence that comes along with purchasing an existing revenue producing asset and utilizing passive cash flows to subsidize your own investment.

I'm beaming at the moment :)

Cyro Sep 29, 2015 6:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simplicity (Post 7181163)
Today I feel orders of magnitude less cynical about our city and province.

Who in the hell would have thought that those charged with making this decision would have spurned the opportunity to bask in the goodwill associated with the Chipman family in favour of the exponentially less exciting prudence that comes along with purchasing an existing revenue producing asset and utilizing passive cash flows to subsidize your own investment.

I'm beaming at the moment :)

I seen this moment coming as soon as it was announced, ;)

So what's happening with the old Loto building?

Simplicity Sep 29, 2015 6:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyro (Post 7181184)
I seen this moment coming as soon as it was announced, ;)

So what's happening with the old Loto building?

I'd imagine it'll be sold to raise capital...

Biff Sep 29, 2015 7:00 PM

They are keeping their offices on Buffalo as Warehouse and their IT departments

Roger Strong Sep 29, 2015 7:00 PM

Quote:

Couriers and taxis?

Simplicity Sep 29, 2015 7:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biff (Post 7181208)
They are keeping their offices on Buffalo as Warehouse and their IT departments

Yeah, I was referring to the location on Ellice.

Biff Sep 29, 2015 7:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simplicity (Post 7181217)
Yeah, I was referring to the location on Ellice.

yes, everything else will be gone.

steveosnyder Sep 29, 2015 7:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biff (Post 7181142)
Yeah, that parking lot is the most ridiculous thing I have seen as well as the park. How stupid. Lots of people were grumbling about that. Very early in design so lots of opportunity for change and pressure to change.

Overall I love the idea of all the new blood being further down Graham - it is such a great area. I still think something big will happen with the True North site so I feel that we can kill two birds (parking lots) with one stone.

Architect is Prairie - another surprise.

I think the park isn't too bad, I mean the courtyard at Hydro is used quite well during the warmer months, so no reason this one won't either. As long as they don't do something stupid and put hills in it, like the courtyard at Hydro... Makes almost half the space unusable during farmers markets.

Biff Sep 29, 2015 7:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steveosnyder (Post 7181251)
I think the park isn't too bad, I mean the courtyard at Hydro is used quite well during the warmer months, so no reason this one won't either. As long as they don't do something stupid and put hills in it, like the courtyard at Hydro... Makes almost half the space unusable during farmers markets.

The problem is that the Hydro park is essentially kitty-corner to where this one will be. I see there is no need for both. It actually looks like MBLL copied Hydro's.

jmt18325 Sep 29, 2015 8:14 PM

I like it. I think it adds to the area. Green and concrete are great together.

lilwayne Sep 29, 2015 8:24 PM

imo its not bad

graham is really starting to look pedestrian friendly with these developments.. its a vast improvement over what is there now.. I'm glad true north released a statement saying this decision wont effect their development which is great... I mean it doesn't add the skyline which sucks but overall it adds to the look and feel of that area a lot.. I love that space around mb hydro building.. downtown could use more like that.....

rkspec Sep 30, 2015 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilwayne (Post 7181352)
imo its not bad

with all the glass yea its not 'that bad', but why brown?? http://emojipedia-us.s3.amazonaws.co...da6956784b.png

its a shame to know what really could have been built considering the available budget.

lilwayne Sep 30, 2015 12:54 PM

this wont be the final design I bet you there will be changes for sure....

also I was reading a free press article and the true north spokeperson was saying that they were already in advanced talks with office and retail for space in their development.. they also confirmed they had a hoteller signed onto the project

but ya lets not get so caught up in the design I'm sure it will get reworked and look nicer it still hasn't been approved by dt committeee

bomberjet Sep 30, 2015 12:58 PM

I'm all for True North Square. But how about they fill the vacancies at CentrePoint first, before getting going on more office space downtown.

lilwayne Sep 30, 2015 1:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bomberjet (Post 7182085)
I'm all for True North Square. But how about they fill the vacancies at CentrePoint first, before getting going on more office space downtown.

I thought most of ther space was already leased out to stantec and brown social house and I forgot which other company