SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manitoba & Saskatchewan (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Winnipeg | Forks Redevelopment | Parcel 4 - Rail Side Initiative | Proposals (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=217747)

LilZebra Dec 21, 2019 6:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy (Post 8768432)
Saunas at The Forks, design by 546 Architecture.

https://i.imgur.com/RKDCPEa.jpg

That could fit about 2 or 3 homeless in there. :haha:

LilZebra Dec 21, 2019 6:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyro (Post 7086197)
Maybe they can wedge this in on the site somewhere? ;)

http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/med...water-park.jpg
www.tripadvisor.ca

Quote:

Originally Posted by buzzg (Post 7086262)
WATERPARK :titanic::notacrook::cheers::cheerleader:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyro (Post 7086306)
Maybe with an all weather dome included for our sub arctic conditions...?

It could be covered with a green roof..;)

EDIT...and time to take this fine work of art down as well, yes I hear the name has changed and it's structurally wonderful...(the one on the left..I mean right..)

destinationsdetoursdreams.com

Maybe one of these too...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-i8DN1YFYik...el_2009-12.JPG

LilZebra Dec 21, 2019 7:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bomberjet (Post 8779269)
Is there a way to search this thread and bring up posts with images only?

There have been numerous building designs, concepts at least, posted in this thread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy (Post 8779320)

This one would be OK.

https://i.imgur.com/2APolzq.jpg

It's got everything: stripes/ripples on buildings, a restaurant patio, a partly covered walkway, colour on the balconies.

Conveniently located adjacent to future Union Station subway hub, like Shinjuku or Shibuya in Tokyo.

It's missing a nighttime render. What would it look like with artificial lighting on the buildings and pedestrian light posts?

Ando Mar 11, 2020 6:58 PM

From the FP:

EPC supports $8M tax deal for Forks Railside development
03/10/2020 12:49 PM
Winnipeg’s most powerful council committee has opted to waive about $8 million of tax revenue to help pay for public spaces at The Forks Railside development.

On Tuesday, the executive policy committee voted in favour of a tax-increment financing agreement to support phase 1 of the project, which aims to replace a surface parking lot with homes, public spaces and retail.

After 30 years of development at The Forks, this project would be the first to introduce housing, with plans for about 324 homes and 66,000 square feet of ground-floor commercial space.

If council approves it, the grant would last for up to 20 years or until $7.9 million has been paid, whichever comes first.

pspeid Mar 11, 2020 8:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ando (Post 8858275)
From the FP:

EPC supports $8M tax deal for Forks Railside development
03/10/2020 12:49 PM
Winnipeg’s most powerful council committee has opted to waive about $8 million of tax revenue to help pay for public spaces at The Forks Railside development.

Nice to see forward movement on this.

hello Mar 12, 2020 12:02 AM

Good to hear that this will go forward. 66,000 SF of ground floor CRU seems very high relative to 324 homes. I'd rather see a little less cru so whatever is there will actually survive and do well. Too much space and competition isn't good. Hopefully i'm wrong and it will be vibrant and businesses will do well.

Wigglez Mar 12, 2020 3:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hello (Post 8858629)
Good to hear that this will go forward. 66,000 SF of ground floor CRU seems very high relative to 324 homes. I'd rather see a little less cru so whatever is there will actually survive and do well. Too much space and competition isn't good. Hopefully i'm wrong and it will be vibrant and businesses will do well.

Its going up at the forks, it will be supported by far more then the 324 units.

I also wanted to note that the freep mentioned construction MAY start next year. This project is moving painfully slowly...

dmacc Mar 12, 2020 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wigglez (Post 8858883)
Its going up at the forks, it will be supported by far more then the 324 units.

I also wanted to note that the freep mentioned construction MAY start next year. This project is moving painfully slowly...

I thought someone on here mentioned shovels would be in the ground in summer of 2019? It's too bad, I'd love to see some action here.

Wpg_Guy Mar 12, 2020 2:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmacc (Post 8859144)
I thought someone on here mentioned shovels would be in the ground in summer of 2019? It's too bad, I'd love to see some action here.

Underground services have been an issue.

pspeid Mar 12, 2020 2:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy (Post 8859214)
Underground services have been an issue.

...as well as potential clean-up of any toxic materials and archaeological excavation of potential construction sites that have not already been tested.

(yeah I know, I'm going to get some "lernin' stuff is stoopid" comments from some people about the archaeological testing, but it's the price to pay for trying to be realistic) :rolleyes:

bomberjet Mar 12, 2020 2:32 PM

Underground servicing should never be an issue for anything. Ever. Is it related to timelines based on archaeological digs. Or other issues like who's gunna pay for it thing that happened in St. Boniface?

buzzg Mar 12, 2020 3:38 PM

The servicing “issue” isn’t really an issue at all, it’s just something they have to do – dig up festival field to expand the geothermal coil. It will be done starting spring.

bomberjet Mar 12, 2020 4:31 PM

Ah right. I remember hearing about that. Thanks for the info.

Spocket Mar 13, 2020 2:12 PM

I wouldn't expect people to have a problem with archeological digs in this case. It should be a site rich with artifacts. On the other hand...who am I kidding? Of course somebody is going to call it a waste of time and money.

buzzg Mar 14, 2020 6:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spocket (Post 8860623)
I wouldn't expect people to have a problem with archeological digs in this case. It should be a site rich with artifacts. On the other hand...who am I kidding? Of course somebody is going to call it a waste of time and money.

IIRC the Railside South (paved lot) dig was done at the time it was paved. I think only Railside North (parcel 4) still requires an archaeological dig.

pspeid Mar 14, 2020 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buzzg (Post 8861643)
IIRC the Railside South (paved lot) dig was done at the time it was paved. I think only Railside North (parcel 4) still requires an archaeological dig.

It will probably depend on the area of each of the buildings they plan to construct. I'm sure the area was tested but wherever they plan to put a building will require some sort of mitigation, even if it's simply watching the workers excavate and boop in to do a quick recovery. Archaeologists did that back when the boat basin area was being dug out.

peg Apr 3, 2020 1:59 AM

I don't know if this was already mentioned somewhere already but on ATLRG's website, there is some renders for a 'tech office' on parcel 4:

Mass-timber Office Buildings

Two, six-storey, mass timber office buildings located in the cultural centre of downtown Winnipeg. The design includes ground floor commercial space and lobby access, with five floors of class A office space above. Other features include interior bleacher feature, convenience stairs, roof deck, and expansive views of the downtown.

1600,000SF

Permit Pending

Winnipeg MB 2020

https://www.atlrg.ca/techoffice

Wigglez Apr 3, 2020 2:46 AM

That was the Skip HQ - which is no longer a thing thats going to happen.

optimusREIM Apr 3, 2020 2:51 AM

Pity, I really like the feel of it, really big city vibe

bomberjet Apr 3, 2020 4:08 PM

Could that building still happen regardless? or does the soft office market prevent it.