View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 29, 2023, 3:22 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
Would make sense for AC. The 777s are getting old. The 787-10 is too small. And maybe the 777X is too big? Though with AC stuffing 400-450 in a 77W, I would have thought they would go for the 779. But maybe they think they can fit 400 in an A350-1000?
The 779 is more aimed as a A380/747 replacement; it's a step up from the 777-300ER in capacity. It's probably too large (and still isn't flying yet) for an airline like AC. It seems to be aimed at airlines who've large connecting hubs (Lufthansa, BA, Singapore, Emirates) that can make use of the space for big numbers of seats plus a big premium cabin.

Given that Qatar and Virgin Atlantic put 390+ seats in their A350-1000s, I suspect AC will have no problem making 400+ work given that AC has a smaller premium cabin than most flag carriers.

AC's strategy might be capacity discipline with the A350. Super-large capacities are great if one can fill them at decent fares. If not, the extra seats are somewhat wasted. So, much beyond 400 for most AC routes is probably overkill, especially in low season.

I suspect the A350's superior fuel efficiency at range is the hook. AC seems to be making a play for Canada-South Asia direct (Dubai, India, etc.) so a very long-haul, relatively large capacity airplane with decent fuel-efficiency is probably the ticket for that market.

The 777 can do these routes, but I think the A350 would make these routes look much better to the accountants. Given what lead times are in the aircraft industry and the fact that the 777 fleet is in their mid-teens now, a replacement strategy that is looking 4-7+ years down the road makes sense.