View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 1, 2024, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
This is just not correct.

Up until 2011, the QE2 limited access highway ended around Anthony Henday overpass (which was completed in 2006). For several years, Calgary Trail and 23 Ave NW were at grade. They built both at the same time, and now that highway is limited access to roughly 34 Ave NW. It was definitely not a freeway, when it was constructed around 2011.
I looked on historical Google Maps and the 23 Ave NW/QEII and this Ikea flyover were built in the summer of 2009.

Either way, timeline doesn't matter for this point. Even if it wasn't a freeway when Ikea was built, Edmonton had the clout to protect it as a future freeway when that corner was developed and commercialized.

Winnipeg's response to Ikea arriving was more along the lines of "Your honour, we are so blessed with the presence of your blue and yellow warehouse in our humble and destitute city. How can we provide the most convenient and cheap access for you, no matter how much it hamstrings any future roadway upgrades for us. "

Kenaston/Sterling Lyon interchange is a waste of planning efforts unless astronomical sums of money are spent. I can't figure out which route would be the free flow, if both? There's lights 250m to the south, 300m to the west, and a building will eventually go to the NW corner of the intersection because the city protected jack all for future ROW needs.

Might as well focus on doing William Clement to Abinojii Mikanah properly, but I'm not holding my breath on that.