View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleb View Post
So...anyone think the bike lane connecting Main & Assiniboine to The Forks south entrance, via The North West Company parking lot, is ever going to be completed? Did the City just really piss off the NWC?

They could at least fill in that dangerous hole in the sidewalk. https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.88692...7i13312!8i6656
The issue is that it's three parties trying to figure it out – NWC, City, The Forks (they manage Gibraltar Trail). It's crazy they haven't at least paved it for now. Hoenestly if the just removed the trees/planting there and moved the bus stop a bit, it would probably be enough room.

I believe The Forks was looking at a way to offset the parking, possibly offering them a few spots on the other side of the building/tracks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
That's where all the executives and upper management park, they will not lose those spots for anything.
The city could just expropriate if if they wanted, but they're trying to play nice first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
They used to have that on quite a few buses. What happened?
Only on a select few RT routes have them, and they're denoted on Navigo – but not every bus on those routes have them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildUpWpg View Post
I've never seen a bike mounted on one of those, whereas in Vancouver, it was common to see bikes on them.
The issue is so few have them that it's completely unreliable and unrealistic to even consider it an option, ever. I think there's some ridiculously low number like 10 busses that have them – why would anyone use that with the chance they'll be waiting forever or not even have the option to get back that way.

In Minneapolis EVERY bus has bike racks in the summer, and they're always used. I think if we had that many, or even a reasonable number like every other bus, they'd get used. There's probably lots of people that bus downtown or to U of M for example that want to bus because it's far, but would love to have a bike for use during the day downtown or on campus.

With all that new money coming in for transit – I'd love to see a couple less new busses, and that money going to outfit lots (all) of busses with bike racks. Doesn't make sense that only RT routes have them because there's safe bioke lockers at the stations!