View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 2:54 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffronleaf View Post
This might be controversial, but I would love it if CBC English played a few of the most acclaimed and/or popular shows on CBC French with English subtitles (e.g., Tout le monde en parle). It doesn't have to be reciprocal (i.e., CBC French doesn't need to play CBC English shows). This would be more in the context of encouraging bilingualism in English Canada, but also helps fill air time with more quality programming.
In a variant of this, I've long thought that both the English and French networks should subtitle all of their programming in the other official language. This does not preclude either from doing what you suggest, of course.

Subtitling is pretty cheap and easy these days.

I am realistic enough to admit that there won't be massive amount of viewers tuning into to the other solitude's programming on a regular basis, but at least it would open things up to the possibility of some programs getting a "buzz" about them, as you often have with Netflix series these days.

So instead of "hey guys, you gotta watch this Norwegian series on Netflix, it's awesome", you might hear "hey guys, you gotta watch this awesome Quebec series on SRC..."

At the moment even if some bilingual person in Toronto is really into a Quebec program, there is no real way to share the discovery with their entourage if those people aren't bilingual.