View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 25, 2019, 9:53 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevanford1 View Post
So This Is Christmas, And What Has Your City Done? Post pictures of the obligatory parades, decor, and other ways your city is celebrating the holidays.
In St. John's we have a comically awful Santa Claus Parade where the biggest star (this is not a joke, FAR more popular than Santa) is the Maple Leaf Big Stick Bologna. He's even a pricy local Christmas ornament that sells out every year.

Christmas Parade by R C, on Flickr

St. John's Santa Claus Parade by S, on Flickr

Christmas Parade by R C, on Flickr

It's primarily a fundraiser for local food banks.

Christmas Parade 2015 by R C, on Flickr

My favourite parade is the Mummer's Parade in Georgestown.

Mummering in St. John's by R C, on Flickr

Mummering 2016 by R C, on Flickr

My personal favourite activity is going to The Once's annual Christmas concert. Most of the biggest bands here do a Christmas series, and The Once's is my favourite.

Video Link

Beyond that, lots of Christmas pageants and concerts, storytelling events, generally a few visual arts shows, etc. There are tree lightings at St. Clare's, City Hall, etc. The big event is the Festival of Lights at Bowring Park, or perhaps the displays at the Botanical Gardens. As our diaspora is so large, the airport is a busy spot this time of year too with returning Newfoundlanders so they typically go all-out with decorations (especially mummers) and concerts.

Hanukkah is this time of year as well. The main public event for that is the lighting of the menorah in Bannerman Park, generally done by the Lieutenant Governor.

December 22 2019 by R C, on Flickr

Outside the city, in Port de Grave, they do up all the fishing boats in lights so lots of folks take an afternoon to go out there and see them.