Thread: The Dad Thread
View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 4, 2022, 2:43 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
It is. But I don't think the change is only physiological. There is also a transformational element whereby 'life' changes from 'the things you do with your time on earth' to 'the chain you are a part of'.

That sounds kind of metaphysical and airy, but it's not like you actually think these things. That's just what it sounds like when I try and put it into words. Day-to-day, it's more like a layer of "of course I'm doing this".

Which does not mean the sleepless nights and ragged edges don't hurt because they do. But there's this other thing going on behind them.

Yeah that actually makes sense to me as well.

It's not the same thing at all but we got a (very large and excitable) puppy two years ago and most of the work has fallen on me, both due to scheduling but also because it's just worked out that way. Waking up constantly in the middle of the night, going on long walks in inclement weather and so on happens simply because it has to. And it's not something I'm bitter about in the slightest, even though getting up at 5am after going out with friends the night before is not a fun time. Overall the changes and additional direction have been very positive.

So we'll see what happens if a child is involved!