Thread: Regina Retail
View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 29, 2016, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 View Post
I think they still have to be operational in 18 mo which I think kills the extreme NW.

It'll be interesting how the rules ultimately play out.
Yeah - I thought about this after I posted. Hard to think of a place that's truly underserviced, looking at SLGA, the 2 existing private stores, and assuming 1 private store goes in the SE. Downtown actually strikes me as an underserviced market. No that out-of-town visitors are the target, but my colleagues are always surprised that we don't have a decent liquor store in the downtown core (some have ventured to the Broad location & warn others again such a trek). They end up going to Amy's Winehouse or Beer Bros' offsales... Amy's is overpriced, and BeerBros requires a food purchase.

A niche store in the downtown core might work well - the downtown crowd could be a perfect target market for niche products (not you high-volume, mass-market products like MolsonCoors, E&J Gallo, Constallation, Diageo, etc) - think of deVine Wines & Spirits or Vine Arts in downtown Edmonton & Calgary, respectively.

Assuming Sobeys goes in the east, that means Metro Liquor got the Broad Street SLGA... Metro's website sure doesn't mention anything from the major breweries (no MolsonCoors, AB-InBev, etc). I'm not a wine guy, but I don't see very many of the major brands. Maybe they are looking at a niche store downtown.

====
EDIT: scratch that. I stuck around their main page for a few seconds & see many major labels on their splash images... they just don't list them in their online catalogue.