View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 21, 2020, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
At least here in Quebec (but I suspect elsewhere too) the impact of this pushing Bud and Coors to the front and Labatt and Molson to the back row has been to relegate all of their brands to Lucky Lager/Milwaukee's Best cheap swill status. (Was this the goal?)

I host a lot of pool parties (though not this summer of course) and I can't remember the last time someone brought a Molson's or Labatt's brand to my back deck. People don't bring Blanche de Bruges either, but since we're white collar professionals it's at least a level above what Labatt and Molson are perceived as these days.

Labatt and Molson are what guys like me take on a hunting or fishing trip these days - when you expect to drink lots and lots of beer so you want cheap stuff. There aren't many other occasions any more where we'd have a use for it. Perhaps the post-game beer in the locker room after a late night garage league hockey game?
Yeah, that sounds about right. The formerly mainstream Molson/Labatt brands are maybe one rung above the cheap discount stuff (to the extent that any beers are cheap in provinces that don't have buck-beer ) , but the packaging, the labels, the image all speak to kind of a low end product, even though the likes of Molson Dry, Labatt Lite etc. are not really much cheaper than more popular mainstream brands. I wouldn't bring case of Blue over to someone's place, as you say.

If I offer someone one of those beers at my place it's usually met with a curious smile and some remark about nostalgia, like "wow, they still make this stuff?" And these are beers that would have been top 10 sellers barely 20 years ago!