View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 22, 2015, 12:06 AM

Awesome! I'm happy to help you out.

Downtown, most of what is noteworthy will be found on:
- 21st St from 1st Ave to Spadina Cres,
- 2nd Ave from 23rd St south to the River Landing riverfront
- 3rd Ave from 20th St to 22nd St
- in the NW downtown, a cluster of old warehouses from 1st Ave east to Idylwyld Dr (CPR station is at 24th and Idylwyld)
- Spadina Cres - tree-lined riverside drive with beautiful parks and old churches. And of course, the Bessborough
- River Landing - beautiful new riverfront on the south end of downtown, includes the striking Remai Modern Art Gallery, under construction.

Just west of Downtown, consider heading west into Riversdale to check out 20th St, a rapidly gentrifying area that still has some rough and quirky edges. River Landin also extends to Riversdale, and includes our Farmer's Market and new condos.

Nutana: Broadway Ave is the commercial centre with a great vibe. On the side streets, there's great old housing stock, where you're likely to find some streamline moderne and the "prairie style" wood frame hip roof houses with front porches.

- Sask Cres follows along a high bank on the east side of the river with grand old houses and views "down" on Downtown. One block in, University Dr has similarly grand homes along a tree-lined boulevard.

- Lots of opportunity to get photos of the bridges, and from the bridges too - views of downtown offered from Broadway and University Bridges. The black steel truss Traffic Bridge is condemned but still photogenic. You might not have time to make it north to the 33rd St train bridge (great views from there), but it can be photographed from the University Bridge.

The U of S is easy to traverse, but make sure you get to the Bowl, around which the main cluster of old collegiate gothic buildings are found. The Thorvaldson and Peter MacKinnon Buildings are highlights.

Feel free to check out my (much lower quality) photo threads - linked in my signature below - to get a sense of what you might be looking for. I've photographed all the areas described pretty extensively.

Any specific questions, just ask!

I can make you a map later too if that helps - once I'm not on the road anymore. I'm looking forward to seeing your work!