View Single Post
Old Posted May 15, 2023, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
After the failure of several huge publicly-backed projects to reverse the decline of Portage Avenue (Portage Place, Hydro Place, the arena), it's probably fair to say that Portage Avenue is not so much in fighting shape as it is in palliative care at this point. Main Street hasn't been a major hub of activity since the 70s, when that block was cleared to make way for Winnipeg Square.

It's great that some of the smaller side streets will continue to see development... Graham is moving in a positive direction and TNS has come together nicely. I just wish that some of that positive momentum would rub off on the main drags. They only ever seem to get worse and worse, it's like Portage peaked in the years before WWI and has been gradually declining for a hundred years ever since.
True.a
It seems odd that going forward, I along with others, will be showing out of towners, tourists the splendor of Graham Avenue & mostly ignoring Portage Ave & Main street. I also wish that eventually there will be a spill over to Portage avenue.