View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 3, 2008, 3:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Quimby View Post
Problem is that these people don't have family and friends that will or can or to help.

And I know quite a few "addicts" with more then a GED that are doing quite well. Education can and does make a large difference, if only for building confidence by completing something. However, you two can worry about whom to blame. I'll keep volunteering and looking for ways to help them.
The guys in this news article? You're not entirely right - many of them do have family/friends but few of those would care to help them because they have tired of trying and their issues are more complex - they can be difficult people to say the least. The guys who the article speak of aren't only addicts, they also have severe mental health problems - GED won't do squat for them.

And these same guys, have lived in almost every affordable housing you can find in this city. As I mentioned, some of them have been banned from the Salvation Army and the Siloam Mission for their disruptive and sometimes dangerous behaviour. I know plenty of addicts too, the people of this article aren't 'just' addicts....

To say these guys only need the enlightenment of education and affordable housing is very naive.