View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 18, 2019, 10:09 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKGUY View Post
Some of the negative comments made above make me wonder how likely we are to see future major (over 30 floor) hi-rises when it seems so expensive and risky in Winnipeg?
Considering how half the local apartments around Downtown Winnipeg are rundown, burned by junkies and overall terrifying to live in - mostly the Armour buildings and others that can barely afford renos, repairs and security - I can see at least some more apartments in downtown. Maybe enough demand for another apartment tower, or two. But honestly, they need to have cheaper apartments. So if its gonna be another Soviet pre-fab that will have affordable rent for all, then I could see more towers coming in, absolutely yes. But those $1200+ per month rents, in a city and province where you can barely get 1200 in minimal wage full-time work, along with house conversions into apartments and rental suites?

The cheaper, the more likely. But those luxury apartments in Winnipeg are going to be a tough sell, unless Pallister and Bowman start bringing out these things called "jobs" above $1200/m in net pay.