View Single Post
Old Posted May 9, 2019, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alt_center View Post
I periodically check their website, maybe one a month or so... and I think the biggest "penthouse" with the best view has been sold for a long time. But it looks like a second (of three) 7th floor units has recently sold.

The other day I wrote it looked like the caissons are half done. Well it looks like they were a lot closer to being done than I realized.... the drilling rig is gone and they have only put caissons about halfway around the site. I don't recall ever hearing how many below grade and total parking spots they plan.

^^^ In this picture can be seen some caissons before the wood planks are installed. Some appear to be concrete encased and some not. I've always thought that this technique must leave a bit of a gap behind the wall. What happens on really deep excavations (like river landing?) Will settling be a problem?
I haven't been by the site since demolition but I agree that it seems odd. Based on your photos, I was thinking that shoring must only be required for part of the excavation but, based on the photo that shows the piles along the street, there must be shoring required there, too. It's strange that they would demobilize from site and then re-mobilize to complete that work, but I'm sure there's a reason for their actions.

As for settlement into a void behind the timber lagging in the shoring system, that void does get filled (usually with a fine-grained granular material) as the timbers are installed, so as to not leave a void. Typically, settlement around the perimeter of shoring doesn't seem to be a major issue.