View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 4:13 PM

So anyway... in the hope that we can keep this thread from spiraling into an endless us-versus-them back and forth, maybe we could get back to discussing construction of cycling infrastructure in Winnipeg?

Has anyone had a chance to peruse the plans for the reconstruction of Empress Street and the Empress overpass?

http://www.winnipeg.ca/publicworks/c...es/empress.stm

If you look at some of the storyboards, you can see plans to create dedicated, protected bike lanes that would connect the Omands Creek footbridge over the Assiniboine to Empress, Polo Park and St. Matthews (which has some cycling lanes and more under contsruction now). I spoke with my City Councilor about this project, and he said the intent is connect River Heights with St. Matthews and encourage cyclists to use that route into downtown.

Unfortunately, St. Matthews deadends at Maryland. Not sure how that would get folks downtown?

The Councilor also said there are NO plans to develop protected bike lanes on Portage Avenue. I can't figure out why we need double wide sidewalks on Portage, but there is no room for bike lanes?