View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 19, 2019, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
Where is the Netflix studio? There hasn’t been much out there on this.
In Point Douglas. I'm not sure if it's started construction yet or still in planning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspionNoir View Post
It's exciting to see that Winnipeg embraces modern industries
It's one of the few subsidized industries the PCs have actually lauded and embraced. The subsidies are seeing a huge ROI in terms outside dollars coming in, tourism, job creation, etc.

We've had these subsidies for quite a long time now, but around 5 years ago some were questioning if it was all worth it. Then about 2 years ago our friends in Saskatchewan ended all their film production subsidies, and Manitoba saw a heap of new work coming over. It's paid dividends for us.

Our current gov is all about the bottom line, and I've heard Pallister likes what he's seeing so much their exploring expanding tax breaks, or at least relaxing certain rules that are causing some challenges for companies. Apparently sometimes there's issues with the subsidies being tied to using local union workers (I assume an NDP caveat), but there's in many areas there just isn't people here with the skills – such as director's assistant – that hollywood productions need, so they often pay through back channels. That being said they're usually more than happy using local union workers for most positions, but some of the higher up creative ones, they want to use their own people – which makes complete sense.