View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 4, 2018, 7:28 PM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
If anything, the weakening of Canadian domestic East-West trading bonds in the last 30 years and the ever increasing direction of trade to a North-South orientation has WEAKENED Winnipeg's ties to the rest of Western Canada.

To me Winnipeg has a very Midwestern feel, though it is culturally very different than the nearest large cities, those being of course Minneapolis and Saint Paul. I have always thought that the American cities which most resemble Winnipeg are Kansas City and Omaha.

Within Canada, Winnipeg is more similar, especially culturally and politically, to Hamilton than it is to Calgary or Edmonton, although outside of the city the province is very much western, rural and small-town Manitoba are very similar to rural Saskatchewan or Alberta.

The northern towns are more similar to the Canadian Shield towns in northern Ontario; Thompson, Flin Flon and The Pas look and feel nothing like Portage or Morden.
I don't know, I've been to Edmonton and Hamilton and to me Winnipeg feels a hell of a lot more like Edmonton than Hamilton. It's a western railway city through and through to me.