View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 14, 2019, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
Whenever I engage in this discussion with a Conservative voter I tell them I agree with their right to oppose the carbon tax, as long as they can tell me what their solution is.

Inevitably the answer is the government should regulate the heavy polluters.

I then ask them as a Conservative you really oppose the free market solution and prefer the government tell you what kind of engine you can put in your F150?

The response is always, well no. Only the major polluters.

Then I tell them by far the largest source of emissions in Manitoba is vehicles. Second is buildings, most of which are houses, so any government regulation strategy will restrict the kind of car you can buy, or the type of furnace you can have in your house.

The response is always something about Trudeau being a drama teacher.
The current policy is conservative, but mixed with a bit of populism (think small businesses). A conservative purist, backed into a corner to reduce pollution, would likely prefer a voucher system, where a fixed amount of pollution is allowed and permits/vouchers are distributed to the public and then traded in a commodity market of sorts. It has some positive features for sure, but you can see how monied interests would dominate this process.

At least this is the system the Chicago boys were peddling back in the day..