View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 31, 2024, 6:06 PM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these updates won't happen. I don't make any money from this and these updates are to share, with both locals and out-of-towners, what is happening in the city they love. Many people reading this are far-away and this allows them to see the projects. If you can, please support any local businesses or follow social pages sharing photographs and thank them.

Two apartment developments are roaring back to life, with a start date for one of them! Also... great photograph updates for two projects we don't see many photographs of! All of this and more, in this week's Update!

Video Link

The Byrum Apartments:
The Byrum Apartments is finally preparing to start! Yes, we have a new start date! Demolition is scheduled for June 21, 2024 and it should take a month to demolish the building. Grading will follow, with actual construction on the apartment building starting in January 2025. They are anticipating the first residents moving-in around December 2025. Interestingly, the number of apartment units has increased by three. This building will now have 289 apartments in 247,889-square-feet of residential space and a 117,836-square-foot parking deck. It will also have 8,359-square-feet of indoor amenities (including co-working space) and 18,268-square-feet of outdoor amenities that include a pickleball court in the parking deck, outdoor fitness space, a small dog park, grill station with pool, and two courtyards that open to... electrical equipment!

I like this new site plan with legend:

Credit: Axiom Architecture

I also found the northeastern courtyard landscape plan interesting:

Credit: Axiom Architecture

New Jobs:
A company is seeking state and local incentives for a $53 million economic development project in Davidson County. There are very few details and the State is calling this "Project Owl."

Interstate 74:

Someone has never heard of "Induced Demand"...:
Video Link

Brown-Coltrane Building Restoration:
Are the Spencers restoring the former Winston Cup Museum Building back to it's original 1940s appearance as the Brown-Coltrane Motor Co., Nash Dealership? I was told Will has the original blueprints and old photographs. I guess we shall see what happens?

4th and Green Apartments & Retail:
These are the best photographs we've had of this project in months and they include a look inside!

Last Week:

Credit: Ghostryiderr

March 20:

Credit: Windsor Commercial

Körner’s Folly Visitor Center:
The grand opening of the Wolfe Visitors Center at Körner’s Folly is scheduled for tomorrow at 10 a.m.,.

Chatham Building Apartments, Hotel, & Retail:

This could be three or more weeks old? I couldn't find where the image was from?

Credit: Unknown?

Regenerative Medicine Jobs:
Charter Medical has leased space in downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District for their new Innovation Hub, featuring state-of-the-art lab space where single-use studies for freezing, transportation, and protection will be performed to support the biopharma industry’s cold chain logistics process. The lease is for lab space at One Technology Place.

They must have leased a significant amount of space to have a ribbon cutting with the Mayor, blocking the entrance? Did they lease the entire building?

Credit: Innovation Quarter

NASCAR All-Star Race:
Workers are inspecting the foundation and concrete under the seats and will make any needed repairs before May 14. Currently, workers have found a large sinkhole under the concrete. 600 seats, in two sections, were removed to make repairs.

Reynolda Church Expansion:
Visioneering Studios was hired to create renderings for a potential expansion at Reynolda Church. The church was built in 1915! They are also working on renderings of possible renovations at their two other locations.

Credit: Visioneering Studios

Stevens Center Renovation:
Jenkins Peer Architects was selected, along with Steinberg Hart, to work on the second phase of this project. Construction on the second phase will start in Fall 2025. In the first phase, under construction right now, workers are renovating the lobby, concessions, restrooms, green room, and dressing rooms behind the stage, along with repairs to the facade and replacing the roof.

Kernersville Recreation Center:

Video Link

Brookhyrst Apartments:
Brookhyrst Apartments returns as an active project, this month! They are currently working on easements.

New Tenants/Leases:
Adam Andrews is reopening the now closed Southside Beer Garden under the new name "Easy Tiger Beer Garden." The opening is scheduled for April 12. I was the first to break the news on this project on social media, several days ago. It was officially announced on Friday, with the exciting signage photograph below.

These two letters from the former Winston Tower sign will be used at the new Easy Tiger Beer Garden:

Credit: Thegotowinstonsalem

Alliance Architecture is moving to the ground floor of the 2601 Pilgrim Court Office Building. Frank L. Blum Construction will be the general contractor. The lease is for 2,400-square-feet of office space.

Truist Stadium Upgrades:

Credit: wsdashbaseball

Off-Subject:

Celebrity Sighting: John Lang (a.k.a., Bills Elvis) from Buffalo, New York on downtown Winston-Salem's Fourth Street (Notice the Bills fans around him):

Credit: thirstypallet

Most Climate Resilient Cities:
Winston-Salem is in the top-5 most climate resilient cities, according to USA Today. The list was made to help people considering moving to a city that is more resistant to extreme weather. Eight criteria were studied to create the list. They include the FEMA Risk Index, Severe Weather Events from 2019–2023, Tree Equity Score, Renewable Energy Tax Incentives, 2050 Projected Water Stress, Riverine Flooding Risk, Exposure to Hurricanes & Flooding, and Drought Risk.

Your City