View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 18, 2014, 10:14 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
(Even though, obviously, having traded its original roof style for two extra stories is a significant architectural change...)
The darker stone is called ironstone. I think it is just the pyritic slate that's under this part of town. It was used a lot prior to about 1850, although a lot of older buildings have only ironstone firewalls or foundations and sandstone fronts. Dalhousie also has a bunch of buildings built with ironstone around 1900, probably in an attempt to make them look older. Wallace stone (from Northern NS) was considered nicer so as time went on more and more buildings were built out of sandstone quarried there.

The brick top of Morse's Teas was added in the early 1900's and the base is from circa 1840.

Keith's Brewery (1820) is another nice ironstone building:

Keith Hall, next to the brewery, is in the process of being restored and it will probably be wonderful when complete.

The Cavalier building in the Citadel courtyard is another great one.

As you can probably tell I really like these buildings (much more so than the office towers there, which I don't think are actually that interesting or exceptional).