View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 31, 2019, 3:56 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
I know the plan is mixed-income. Will some of those top floors be market rate? I could imagine it would be a pretty amazing location if you worked at GWL, and the renders of the little patios with trees look great
The breakdown is roughly 50-50 affordable units and market rent units, with 1/3 being accessible suites, 100% visitable. There is a handful of ‘premium’ suites.

The beauty of it is that there is no difference between an affordable suite and a market suite. The sizes and finishes are the same and they are randomly mixed through the building. There is no hierarchy – poor people on the bottom, rich people on the top. If someone who is receiving rent assist no longer qualifies, they don’t have to find a new place to live, like they usually do, their suite just becomes market rent and another in the building switches to become affordable to maintain the overall ratio. The magic of it being mixed is that the building can skirt the modesty requirements for affordable housing, which ensures affordable housing doesn’t look too nice, has lower quality finishes, smaller windows, etc. (which is quite unbelievable).

The large ninth floor terrace is the building common area, so every resident has access to a great view and communal space. Even though this is a high rent location in the building, it was felt that to build community and ensure that the public spaces are used, the best location was high up overlooking the legislature.

Its an amazing building program, amazing client. The province should fund 50 of these.