View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 3:58 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

KW - most of that area survived the Great Fire. It started pretty much directly uphill from the Central Slum, and then moved northeast. Some portions of it were destroyed, but rebuilt even worse.

itom - that area of the city would've been developed relatively early. It's only a block or two from Water Street, which existed in the 1500s. We had a couple centuries of being not much more than Water/Duckworth ("Lower Path" and "Upper Path" respectively, with mainly warehouse-style buildings related to the fishery on them). So if I had to guess I'd say the oldest slum houses were from the mid-1700s (certainly by the 1760s, they were starting). We have a couple of more upper-class houses surviving from the early 1800s and they have many of the same features, just nicer.

Anyhow, this map of the 1892 fire path is very amateur, but accurate. The street grid is current, not how it was, but basically between LeMarchant and New Gower was the Central Slum.

https://www.boyletours.com/vtour3.html

One cute tidbit this Remembrance Day.

This is the first year when our National War Memorial is a National Historic Site of Canada. Usually they don't "commemorate commemorations" - but ours is so old (one of the first National War Memorials) AND it has something in it inspired by the Canadian poem In Flander's Fields that the Feds have decided it can squeak through the rules. Cool stuff. BTW, I can't remember specifically what it is - an inscription, or an image, or something, but it was explicitly credited to the poem back when this was built.

Anyhow, this might seem like a little thing but people here are very excited about it. There's something... validating about it... to the people who care about such things.

And this morning at sunrise:

The crowds have gotten bigger over the years. Good to see, especially considering our Memorial Day is July 1 so we basically have Remembrance Day-style commemorations twice every year. July 1 is bigger, but November 11 is still huge too.

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Nov 11, 2019 at 6:25 PM.